Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Diamonds and ratings (from the Admin)
1 2 Previous Next  
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 10-30-2008 21:42
Not religion, just a simple relaying of the fact that nobody's perfect.

Religion plays NO part in that fact. I know I'm a shining example of the utmost of imperfection!!!! FOR SURE!!!! :-) S.W.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-30-2008 23:38
Hogan,
   "Not religion, just a simple relaying of the fact that nobody's perfect."

I will second that in regards to my post.

jrw159 :-)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-30-2008 20:57
John, please let me say it again just for you, since you are having a tough time with this, when it isn't that hard to understand.

"C'mon stop with the drama already, this is just common courtesy stuff we are talking about here, don't derail the original poster's topic...it's simple. A guy reviewing the responses to his/her question should not have to wade through another two pages of one word conversations between a few friends to get to thier answer."

.....and again, the offtopic forum is there for you to use...please use it.

Now if we have other issues that are bothering you please feel free to contact me via the PM system, as others do....if there is something that I can not handle(ie not within the moderator privilages that I have been given), I will forward it on to ross for his consideration. All of these comments that you are dropping about the other stuff(whatever that means), don't need to take place here. My PM box is open.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-30-2008 23:35
John,
  Please allow me to explain. I am not having a tough time with this, and I feel (much like Stephan) that regarding this subject there is nothing I will say in a PM that I can not say in the open forum.

I will for sure agree that there are times when conversations not pertaining to the OP's post go too far, but IMHO some of the specific things that have been called out are very petty considering the big picture of what goes on in this great forum of ours.

I would venture to say that a good majority of the complaints can be traced back to a previous personal disagreement. This is NOT the case with all, but I know for a fact that some of the crying is due to the fact that some just do not like others.

So again, I am not having a tough time with it and will continue to rate certain post's with a smiley rather than the easily manipulated "rate" option.

Best regards, and truly respectfully,
jrw159
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-31-2008 00:19
John,
Thank you for elaborating and for your understanding in this. The disagreements between the few guys that you speak is noted and being observed. I won't elaborate any further than that. I have folks mentioning to me about the offtopic stuff and I want you to understand that it is NOT the few, who you have disagreements with, that you believe is doing complaining. So the harping on this all over the forum is not making matters any better.

Thank you for understanding about limiting the casual conversations to a minimum in the OP's threads. Trust me, I know how easy it is to get off track in someone else's thread...before we had an offtopic type forum, I am just as guilty for carrying on with others.

Have a good night, John. :-)
Respectfully,
-JW
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-31-2008 01:06
John,
  You have a wonderful evening as well. :-)

John W.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-30-2008 16:09
Shane I feel left out......

jwright650
Registered 10-04-2002 
4351 posts....edit: whoops now it's 4352

J/K.....I had tons of postings before the rating system was ever put in place. Back when I was learning my way though D1.1 and was thrown into a QC management position...I had to lean quite frequently on you guys here in the forum to get me through. Ask poor Chet...I bet I worn out my welcome with him and all the newbie questions that I poured out upon that patient and considerate man.

BTW Chet...Thank You for your guidance over the years.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 10-30-2008 16:54
Ross, for what it's worth. I have been here (on this Forum) almost from the get go April/2000 and back then as jwrite650 this was an education site for me to learn how to advance myself in this field.

I have a note book of material I have printed from this forum and there is some great stuff that I feel should be posted at regular intervals for all to read like the following excerpt I printed out and keep above my desk at all times.

I don't know who protects the inspector other than the inspector. The best ways to do that:
1) Get the scope of inspection activities defined at the start of the job.
2) Have access to the referenced codes and specifications.
3) Have the attitude that you are trying to prove the work is done correctly, even when you find it is not.
4) When you find a problem, get the foreman (or whoever) to look at it with you see if they see the same thing. "Maybe I'm not looking at this right, what do you make of it?"
5) Never quote the code without a copy of it in your hands.
6)Take digital photos of the problem for a visual record. (BE SURE that you have permission to take photos first.)
7) When you can legally and ethically give someone a break, do so.
8) When you have to report what was wrong, be sure to include what was right. But just the facts, no opinions unless asked.
9) Get everything in writing and give everything in writing.
10) Admit your mistakes without any "Yeah,buts".
11) Don't fight battles. Send them up to the next level, and accept the findings.
12) Keep records of everything you do or say.
13) Recognize that there are some things you have no power over and many times that you don't have the full picture.
14) Don't let one bad experience spoil everything. There are better days ahead.
15) Maintain your integrity.
16) Remember that we never stop learning.

Others may have things to add, and I hope they do so, but you are your own best advocate. It would be nice if there is a group or agency to look out for inspectors but I have not heard of any. We all pretty much stand on our own merits, and your sense of justice indicates that you will build up a fine reputation.

Chet Guilford

No single source can compare to what I have learned here and I try to express that from time to time. As far as the Diamonds and ratings are concerned I never really paid any attention to them, I don't even recall when they started.

I only took notice when it became a contest for some which I got to admit turned me away for a bit. At first I was kinda in a quandary as to what it was all about but I finally conceded to my self I was an old stick in the mud and ignored it.

In short I don't pay much attention to them because I am fully capable of rating for my self, in fact I prefer to do so.
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-30-2008 17:23
RonG,
That was a great post which has good value to me.

About the silver diamonds....to hell with it - IMO
The red ratings however can be of great value when somebody reply to a post, it makes the original poster see if the reply is of serious matter or just plain junk.
But I think a better way to rate postings would be to have some kind of technical comitee who did the ratings, the comitee should consist of experts within each field which is discussed here.

Parent - By RonG (****) Date 10-30-2008 20:46 Edited 10-30-2008 20:49
3.2 Inspector, Thanks for that.

I really can't comment one way or the other for I feel I don't understand it well enough.

I will say this though. If I was an organized person with some editing skills I honestly believe I could produce one of the best Welding instruction book ever made from this Forum. There is a wealth of knowledge in here.

I do enjoy the "Off Topic Bar & Grill" a lot but I don't see it as having any real technically redeeming qualities, but like its name implies it's not about WELDING but about WELDERS or WELDORS (if you prefer) and anyone intimately involved in the field (also referred to as Welders even though they do not or longer actually weld). And there is plenty of very fertile stuff in there also if you care to start a Mushroom farm.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-31-2008 01:05
Yes Mr. Wright we know you have 5 diamonds no need to brag or rub it in lol.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 10-31-2008 07:14
John,
My humble apologies.
All I did was took all the posters on one particular thread and checked out when they registered and how many posts they had made.
In reality, I couldn't care less about the diamonds, my concern was people hijacking threads with a competition to get the most diamonds.
The whole reason for the OTB&G is to allow guys/gals to chat without getting too serious on anything.I have no problem at all with that.
If I have offended anyone with my post I sincerely apologise,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-31-2008 07:22
Shane, I agree.  At first my thoughts were take em or leave em but after some more thought I think the forum may be a better place without either the diamonds or the ratings system... seems too many are ego bound for meaningless (glory?)... Most of us who've been here for a while knows who we prefer to read and who we prefer to pass on.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-31-2008 11:25
Shane I see no need to apologize, you were just stating the facts, facts that have already been brought to our attention by more than just a handful of members. I realized from your wording as many others who had posted concerns, that you/they were trying your/their best not to single out an individual or group, just merely trying to get a point across, so that it would stop happening. If anyone takes what has been said about their precious diamonds and gets their feelings hurt over it then maybe the shoes fits.

LOL......Guys, to be honest having the most diamonds by almost twice the amount of the nearest poster is kind of embarrassing....it appears that I have had nothing to do for several years but talk.....LOL. On a serious note though, I appreciate having a forum like this to bounce those millions of questions I have off of, and to get to bounce them off the broad cross section of experience that is here is truely invaluable...no way to put a price on what that is worth, especially to a young QC manager who just got thrown to the wolves and is having to learn the ropes without any personal guidance or a mentor. As many of you know, the inspection world can be tough on a new inspector who is trying to do the right thing. There are many influences out there and pressures that can make a young inspector fold or give in to non-quality.

Thanks to all who have helped me as an inspector over the past several years, and continue to teach me something new about welding almost everyday that I login.

I hope this is the last time that we have to talk about this issue. If you find yourself in a long exchange of offtopic conversation take a minute to switch gears and move the coversation out of the threads where people are asking questions. Throwing out comments about the "offtopic police" issueing tickets and complaints is not neccessary or benificial to anyone. I have never asked that no one ever stop having conversations or chatting online after a long day with the pals, I just ask that it be kept to the offtopic forum.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 10-31-2008 17:49
jwrite650

John, you are a worth while contributor to my collection of useful welding information as well. But I never considered the diamonds as having any bearing on the quality of the post.
Now that it has been made an issue I will have to scrutinize each post very carefully and rate them as I see fit. BS I don't have time for all this and most of the time I am on my company PC (with a very "BIG BROTHER" attitude) and I have to limit my time.

Point being, I would supposed (MHO) you earned those diamonds, so just go ahead and flaunt them as you wish.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 11-03-2008 18:05
John, you have never worn out your welcome.  I only hope I have never led you astray.  Sometimes, I speed read and "speed reply", and then wish I had just stayed in the background.

All,
FWIW - plowing through this thread I see that the question seems to be whether the diamonds are worth keeping or not.  I really do not know what the red ones are all about because I've been so busy lately that I only have time for highlights when I do get online.  If red ones are being used to "flame" other posters, then get rid of the red ones.

As far as the silver ones, I kinda like them, but that's only because I too am one of the earlier members and it's kinda nice to see the ranking.  (Even though John started after I did and has way many more posts than I do - there's a joke in there somewhere but I'll leave it)
But the point is, if any of those rankings put people off, then they are not really needed anyway.

One lament I have is that as this forum gets larger and goes on longer, it's character definitely changes. 
I can't help but think of my once favorite deer hunting woods (behind my house).  For years I had it to myself, then shared it with a few neighbors -which was good.  Then someone built a road through the middle of it to access a gravel pit.  Now everyone dumps their trash in there; the state police raided an unauthorized campsite 2 weeks ago and seized stolen motorcycles, etc. There is a large pile of deer carcasses dumped in a spring that feeds the trout brook.  I don't own it, but I have permission to use the land.  Saturday was opening day for deer and for the first time in 20 years, I decided not to go out - it's not fun anymore.

My point is that as this forum goes on, we need to remember what made this unique in the first place.  I have not seen anywhere else online where the folks are respectful to each other and eager to help out.  Yes, there were a few "misunderstandings" -all of which seemed to clear up without verbally bashing one another.  By way of contrast, some may remember a while back when Yahoo tried to start a welding related forum; it turned out to be nothing more than a "Jerry Springer re-run".  Everyone should do their part so that this forum does not get like that. My thanks to all who have done their part.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-03-2008 19:29
That was definitely one of the most constructive things said in this thread. Really.

Thanks Chet. S.W.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-30-2008 19:35
Shane,
  Why not just come out with it completly and add the names?

John
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 10-31-2008 01:07
He might as i'm sure i'm included in there somewhere it's not real hard to figure out who he was talking about
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 10-31-2008 10:28
John,
It would achieve nothing by naming anyone.
I was trying to make a point, not trying to personally attack anyone.
Have a good weekend,
Shane
Parent - - By Flash Date 11-21-2008 21:51
Hi Shane
I am trying to get the Oz version of a forum up and running
check out www.weldingflash.com.au/forum
It is still in its infancy but would appreciate your presence and valuable comments
R
Flash
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 11-24-2008 04:56
Will try and get over to have a look Flash,
Regards,
Shane
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Diamonds and ratings (from the Admin)
1 2 Previous Next