Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Farm Code FC-2002
1 2 3 Previous Next  
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-03-2007 21:40
I can see this will be the "Other BIG Red Book"!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 12-03-2007 23:32
saftey hints
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 12-04-2007 03:16
gotta love them skintoed shoes! dont think i'd last long there, I cant even walk on a sandy beach barefoot without doing the chicken dance!
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 12-04-2007 11:39 Edited 12-04-2007 14:02
More amusements!

FCAW:  Pertains too "Farmer Code Arc Welds."  See SMAW.

Stretched hook?  If it can still hook and lift a load, it's all good!  The safety latch was optional anyway.

When dealing with large loads consisting of a platform and other structural parts, they may be balanced with two hooks hooked into the I-beams on either side.  If the first lift isn't balanced, set it down, move one hook a few inches, and try again.

If a 1/4" fillet weld fails an oil (diesel) test, just burn two passes overtop of the spot in question!  It takes too long to grind out a pinhole.

If the print calls for a 1/4" or so dualshield uphand, it's aight too weave in a weld 3/4" wide, or a skinny bead drowned with undercut.  If the uphand is undercut, two downhands covering the edges will make it a proper uphand.

Likewise, the above is true for any process.  7018 especially.

If your hand isn't steady, drink more coffee.  This way you won't even need to worry about puddle manipulation.

"It's within a foot."

SMAW:  "Some Metal Arc Welded."

Here's a few images.  I love the third one down!  "La-dee-da!  It's only a bomb, what's the worst that could--" *THUNK!*
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 12-04-2007 14:01
The guarontee is as stated " guaronteed not to rust, crack or smell bad for 30 days or we will do it again".

Acceptable UT technique is strike the welded part with a 2 lbs. Ball peen hammer. If the hammer blow does not yield a "Dull Thud" and nothing falls off the work, weld is considered acceptable.
Parent - By Plasma-Brain (**) Date 12-05-2007 15:02
FC feild materials identification :
Steel ; anything heavy that rusts
Stainless ; anything heavy that doesnt rust
Aluminum ; anything light that doesnt rust
Thats it, theres olny 3 metals, anything else is some of that there fancy space age materials and has no place at all in the FC.
Steels can be properly welded with anything determined to be another steel, ex; coat hangers, fence wire, a thin strip of something that you hacked apart with a grinder...
there are no pre/post heat requirements and cleanliness is olny important if theres too much crap on the surface to strike an arc. Acceptable welds are covered in other sections.
Stainlesses are a special case and concist of anything thats heavy and doesnt rust and has nothing at all to do with cromeium or nikle, whatever they are...
Stainlesses are welded with a special rod known as 308, which is just the name for all stainlesses. all stainless jobs should be preheated to the point that they are glowing bright orange in strong sunlight. 1 rod works for all and whatever those silly profesionals are talking about diffrent grades and what not is a load of junk to get you to spend more money that you dont need to. If the 308 rod isnt available, a steel and a can of spray paint will have the same effect.
Aluminums are anything that looks like a stainless but is just too dang light to be a steel. These are special cases and can be easily handeled with that wonderious "alumiweld" rod. Aluminum is not weldable with a "steel" rod, but in some cases that mericle 308 rod will work, after all its a high tech wonder. aluminums need preheat as well, but they wolnt glow so the best way to tell is to touch it with your gloved finger. If the tip of the glove chars and shrivels, your ready to weld.

And remember, if all else fails, theres always duct tape. :)
-Clif
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-05-2007 17:57
There is a vast amount of wisdom being posted here. Who's gonna collate all this stuff. If this information is to be made available to the public it really needs to be in an organized format. I can think of nobody better than our man Al.
After all, his was the original inspiration for this document in the first place.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 12-05-2007 18:20
Gerald, the scary part to this one is that if you made it into a book and sold it, part of the people purchasing it would be reading it and laughing their heads off and the other part of the people would be referring to it in their code interpretations. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-05-2007 19:36 Edited 12-05-2007 19:39
All FC welding which may come in contact with the public shall be inspected by a certified FC inspector (Willies). All work deemed to be inspected shall be deemed by They to be inspected by Willies. If They show up and give you the Willies all welds not able to pass the drop test for integrity shall be  ground smooth, rewelded and the weld needle gunned until there is no indication of a ground weld. If the welder gets the Willies on the re-weld, the subsequent re-weld shall be inspected until it conforms to FC part 2007-5 commonly known as Warmnfuzzy section. FC Part 2007-5 states if the welder gets the Willies more than twice on any single weld that weld shall be kept out of production until the time deemed by the FC holder until They will not get the Willies and have a Warmnfuzzy.
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 12-05-2007 20:16
we've been doin this stuff for years, it's great to see it all in writing. it's gonna make it easy for me to take this info and actually get some procedures written in stone for all the guys, i hate it when things are just here say. i think i'll go with a full blown QC manual, you know....? something i can send out to the customers so they know we really know our stuff. that way they can feel good about their decision of choosing us for the job. LOL
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 12-05-2007 22:11 Edited 12-05-2007 22:34
all welds shall be inspected with the same hood they were welded with, or in the case of darrens picture, the same cardboard as welded with
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-06-2007 02:04
The warmnfuzzy code?? LOL
Parent - By JMCInc (**) Date 12-06-2007 05:05
If your spit sizzles then she's good to go.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-06-2007 09:39
If you happen to dip your tungsten during any gtaw weld..just continue on...coating the tungsten with the parent or filler metal will prevent any tungsten from hitchhiking on the arc and causing an inclusion.  When presented with an xray showing any type of porosity simply hold the film up to a light source and get a disgusted look on your face..then wipe the film on your sleeve and take another quick look...hand it back to the inspector and with as much disdain as you can muster tell him to go "learn something before you come back".

aluminum is aluminum! Any Al filler will do the job ...jeez its not like its made of steel....cut strips off the parent metal or use pop tops for filler or any rod will do as long as it sticks it together.

Hastelloy is just a bastardized inconel which is a stepchild of stainless so any stainless rod will do the job and get you out of there.
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 12-07-2007 13:17 Edited 12-07-2007 13:42
It's always better to do it a second time...just to be sure!

Engineers?  They drive trains...

It's a skid.  Tolerances for joint fitups are anywhere from 1/16" too 3/8."  All cutting is to be done while drunk, stoned, or otherwise fubarred.  (it was a fun day, lol!  Though I never did resort to knocking the flux off a 1/4" rod and using that to fill the gap *shrugs*)

ISO:  Intentionally Sawed Off. 

Actually, this entire thread would be fun to post on the quality board at work...
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Farm Code FC-2002
1 2 3 Previous Next