Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / hiring welders (locked)
1 2 3 Previous Next  
Parent - - By JescoPressure (**) Date 12-15-2007 16:45
to true you got to be good with your money when start your business, sometimes it takes awhile for it all to start clicking
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 12-16-2007 00:58
oh I'm sure, I know it isn't easy I can't imagine I'm sure you guys are working non stop for a couple weeks with little to no sleep and you are totally busting your asses 24/7 and that still doesn't even add up to what you all do day in and day out. I'm not thinking at all that this is gravy work hell what I do is pretty much gravy work, working in a clean shop and you all are working in insane conditions. I know gravy work well pays less and it is a clean enviorment and shitty enviorment sometimes pays more not to sound like I know it all I don't. I'm learning now that it doesn't matter what you make hourly it is all how you manage your money but more would be nice. I have friends who make way more then me hourly but at the same time I probally have more because I am such a tightwad and don't spend like they do. enough of me rambling. Thanks for another great thread guys.

Chris
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 12-16-2007 01:00
There's an old saying, If it sounds too good to be true, it probabaly is. 
These guys have to buy a very expensive pipeliner rig just to start and drive thousands of miles for work.  Then you have to kill yourself to make it in this cuthroat business or as one guy said, "I'll be passing you by on the pipeline" .  They will back stab
you in a heartbeat. They feed off of each other like animals to do it faster than the next guy.  It's a never ending cycle with
no brotherhood or loyalty other than the individual.  If you don't produce, for any reason, they will drop you like a used condom.

There something to be said for working 40 hours with great benefits like union pension, annuity and health insurance.
Most of these pipeliners are worn out pretty fast, have wives that have left them, kids that won't talk to them and serious substance abuse problems.  If in Canada, they are almost all smoked out of their minds from living the dope culture up there.  I know because I've worked with them in the USA and it's not much fun working high iron with a smoked up, stoned Canadian as the guy you are relying on in a life or death situation.  Trust me when I say that Canadians are serious drug abusers in the welding trades.  It's rare to find one who isn't smoked out his brains on the job.  They smoke right on the job!  We got rid of a few of them with the random drug tests.

Just an opinion.
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 12-16-2007 06:58
I'm starting to get the feeling that you just don't like us, such a bitter little man.  Try not to take yourself to seriously.
Parent - - By JescoPressure (**) Date 12-16-2007 15:57
ya watch out make it hot i might stab you in the back and steal your dope
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 12-16-2007 17:33
Ah your just one of those worn out, doped up pipeliners most likely couldn't muster the strength to pick up the knife.LOL
Parent - By JescoPressure (**) Date 12-16-2007 17:47
you got er buddy in the dope culture and stoned out of my mind on the high iron
Parent - - By ibyaed (*) Date 12-16-2007 16:50
Man awspartb,
you started with a very good comment that most of us new welders can use and learn off of, Then you had to go and mess it up with your stupid racist comments, you must be a very bitter man. I bet that you regret waking up every morning, and if you have a wife she regrets you waking up too.
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 12-16-2007 21:34
Everyones a racist to people don't  agree that cheap illegal slave labor is ruining the skilled trades in the USA. 
Parent - By JescoPressure (**) Date 12-17-2007 00:10
This post was about a field job in CANADA! It had nothing to do with the states and nothing to do with trying to ruin it . It was offering someone a job. (that paid above union rate).
You call us drug addicts and back stabbers and vegatable pickers. Anybody who had any interest in this has to now sort through your BS on this post (which have nothing to with welding). Your a little biggot and a racist and a liar. First off you should apologize to doombak for ruining his post and really shut your mouth (i could care less if you shut your mouth u see im up in camp working nights on a job that requires pre access drug testing and post incident drug tests so much for being a drug addicted welder hey,  i just love to come back to camp and read your crap or i would be so bored) We aint cheap, we aint illegal workers, and we have one of the best welder trade educational certifications in the world. And i would welcome any welders from the states up here except you
Parent - - By welder5354 (**) Date 12-17-2007 00:47
Awspartb, please don't judge people from all walks of life just because you have worked with them or smoked with them.
Sure, i have to agree with you in every walk of life there are abuser that make it bad for others.  I'm from the east coast (Nfld),
and i don't smoke or do pot.  As a matter of fact, i have yet to see any dope.  We work hard here in Nfld and we take our work serious.
Next year our province will be building a new refinery and an Iron Ore Plant (will need lots of workers/not dopy ones).  Maybe your judgement is from past experiencs's that you have had with some of your co-workers, but i don't think we should judge the whole country of canada because of a few thet you have met along the way.
UA pipe welder
Parent - By awspartb (***) Date 12-17-2007 01:41 Edited 12-17-2007 01:45
For the record, the dope addicts from Canada I worked with were from alberta.   Here's an interesting story:

It was 6 months after the World Trade Center attacks that killed over 3000 people including Canadians.
Everyone on the job site was flying the USA flag be it on your car, jacket, a sticker on your lunch bucket etc.
The Canadian stoners thought it amusing.  I asked why?  They said the patriotism thing was funny to them because
nobody in Canada would ever take things like that so serious.  I asked them if the Muslims blew up the CN tower would they feel
any nationalist urges?  They said not really, to a man, and that it would be a "TO (stoner slang for Toronto) problem that doesn't have anything to do with them".

This is just one of my work experiences with Canadians in the USA.  Pack another bowl of that good BC bud ehh?
Any chance of finding a pick-up game around here? 

Again, it's next to impossible for ANY skilled trades to work in Canada if you are from the USA. 
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 12-17-2007 13:46
and how many american welders are drunk or hung over up there on the iron with you
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 12-17-2007 23:57
Any Americans thinking of heading to Canada to work?  Read this before you JUMP:

CANADIAN FEDERAL TAX RATES
15% on the first $37,178 of taxable income, +
22% on the next $37,179 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income between $37,178 and $74,357), +
26% on the next $46,530 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income between $74,357 and $120,887), +
29% of taxable income over $120,887.

ALBERTA PROVINCIAL TAX RATE
10% on ALL taxable income

If you think the Canadian government is going to give you a refund once you come back home you may be in for a surprise.
Check with a CPA in the USA who handles international tax issues or you may find yourself working in horrible conditions for very little pay once the Canadian AND the USA's IRS get done with you. I know some guys who worked in Canada last year who got sticker shock when they filed their income taxes.  Canada said ...sorry, it's all ours :)   FWIW.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-20-2007 07:30
Hello "awspartb"!

Is that what really happened to you or someone in your family???
I say this not to offend you or your family but, for the life of me, I cannot find any other reasonable excuse as to why you express yourself in such a bitter, resentful manner towards our Canadian friends, or how you address someone who's proud of their own heritage by calling on them to go back home where they came from!!!

If you are an AWS member and your call sign is "awspartb" then that must mean that you're really NOT a goood example of what a REAL AWS member should represent themselves in this forum!!! BTW, is'nt "partb the part of the CWI exam that gives questions based from a code that is'nt really used in the real world??? Are you for real "awspartb"??? I think NOT!!!

If you are an AWS member, and you express your feelings based on a whole bunch of assumptions then, you should behave youself in a manner that is in line, and representative of the rest of us that represent the members of the AWS!!!

The other day on the news, I saw a political cartoon where all these figures of humans were being shown as folks with their heads up their proverbial colons... You kind of remind me of them... In other words, when I read your posts, I picture you as one of them!!!

If you do'nt agree, then start acting like an American Welding Society Member in good standing like the rest of us!!! You have an obligation to treat the visitors from whatever part of the world they're from with respect and dignity unless it's obvious that they are NOT doing the same!!!

Please do'nt disappoint me or any other member of the AWS with your continuing mental garbage that you have already spewed beforehand!!! In order to earn respect, you must first give it freely without any prejudice!!!

May God help you to get rid of your anger, and bitterness towards total strangers!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 12-20-2007 08:54
Henry,
Thank you for a voice of reason in what has been a pretty poor effort so far. As I said in another posting this forum is degenerating into a version of the UK Welder forum where disgruntled welders with a chip on their shoulders get a few drinks in them and spout utter rubbish.
I think AWS needs to take a stronger stand and start barring people, this has always been a forum where anyone in the welding game can come and ask advice or give advice, if this rubbish keeps up a lot of people will stop coming here.
I have been frequenting this forum for 5 years now and hopefully I have helped out a few people along the way, I am a CWI with 4 years as a radiographer and 15 years as a pipewelder so I have picked up a bit of knowledge over the years. I have frequently asked for assistance on the forum and have been helped out greatly by the late Chuck Meadows, Jon, John, Al, Allan, Gerald, Marty, Henry, Walt, Nieke, Stephan, js55 to name just a few.
Please, if you have got nothing constructive to say - GO AWAY !
Shane
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-20-2007 12:26
Henry, Shane...I feel that this thread had ran it's course...there is no more to be added here. You guys are correct, the toleration for the negative commenting has grown very thin...
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / hiring welders (locked)
1 2 3 Previous Next