Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / How to get started?
- - By larryS Date 07-06-2008 20:40
Hey, im new to this forum. And from the looks of it, I think you guys could answer my question.

I have graduated high school this year and am interested in a career in welding. I have been welding for a while now, but no certifications. But I do alot of MIG and stick at my job, and have liked it, i just recently started to play around with TIG and i love it. A couple of months ago my friend suggested i look into welding in the aviation field or aerospace field. I have looked everywhere and asked people, but no one knows where to go to get any education for this?

If you guys have anything to say to help out it would greatly help.

Thanks, Larry
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 07-07-2008 16:36
If you want to learn aerospace, I suggest hiring in somewhere as a helper; no place pretty much is going to teach you for free.  It's going to be pretty much the same wherever you go.  We routinely hire in guys who might have been fence welders, and watch them go away after a year or two to make more $$$, some of it in aerospace.  We teach code work here, mostly D1.1 and 1.2, but a little 17.1 and 1.6 as well.  Someone somewhere will always hire someone with the potential to become a good welder.
Parent - - By larryS Date 07-08-2008 00:11
well, i was wondering if there is a college or special tech school that will teach this?
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-08-2008 14:02
a lot of community college and votech schools have welding programs. That would probably be the best place to start. Pick up an associates or certificat in welding since you already have a decent amount of experience you should be able to walk through it. As far as I know there's no specific aerospace welding programs I've ever heard of, a lot of field specific skills past general welding aren't taught in school. Most welding programs don't even have "fabrication" classes. So as mentioned above if you want to learn how to weld for the aerospace industry you would have to get your foot in the door there as a helper and pick up experience on the job.

Still though I'd say starting with some general welding training most schools  will also allow you to pick up some certifications before you graduate which could help you get a foot in the door.

like a lot of industry specific things it's hard to find a class on boiler making pipe fitting, or aircraft welding.
Parent - By hirewelders Date 09-11-2008 15:34
Not sure where you're located, but if you're trying to track down a welding school near you, check http://www.hirewelders.com/welding-education.html.  There is a map on that page that lists the more than 1,000 welding schools in the US.

Shane
HireWelders.com

Need welders? We got 'em
Parent - By M Baker (**) Date 08-27-2008 16:18
Check out Hobart Institute:  http://www.welding.org
They offer five- and nine-month programs, along with individual classes.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / How to get started?