Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS D1.6 1999 Essential Variables
- - By M.L. (*) Date 02-04-2003 16:16
[deleted]
Parent - - By Niekie3 (***) Date 02-04-2003 18:08
I am not an expert on D1.6, but can give a general answer to the question.

Travel speed on its own tells us very little, and even if it did, it is difficult to control in the field. (Unless you are using a machine or automatic process.) In general, what is of more interest is the heat input which is given by: (VxA/travel speed) In many instances, the "practical" heat input that can be achieved will not cause any large variations in the resultant weld. In those instances where it does, there are usually controls on the voltage and amperage. When controlling these, you are not likely to get large variations in heat input, because welding too fast or too slow will often lead to weld defects that will be rejected by visual or NDE examination. (Exceptions here would be FCAW and SAW.)

Under some circumstances, some codes (e.g. EN288) requires that heat input be maintained within certain limits.

Does D1.6 have heat input or V and A as essential variables? If so, they are using these as controls.

Hope this helps

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Parent - - By M.L. (*) Date 02-04-2003 18:46
[deleted]
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-04-2003 19:50
I have a MS Access application that I am working on that that allows you to enter welders, projects, joints, and inspections and also allows you to print out a continuity report, welder performance log, project performance log, and performance by month.

It's still in development but if all you are needing is a continuity log, let me know and I can maybe help you out. The program is not available for download yet but you can go to my software page at http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com//welding_and_qc_software.htm and fill in the inquiry form and I will contact you. I can provide applications that do not require MS Access but it takes a few hours to do since requirements vary between organizations.

I would also be glad to help you create/modify an excel spreadsheet for a continuity log but I prefer MS Access since the data then becomes useable in many other ways and is a little easier to manipulate.

Have a good day

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By M.L. (*) Date 02-05-2003 11:30
[deleted]
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-05-2003 12:32
If all you need is a continuity log and you don't need it to interface with any Welder Testing Data or Production Data. It is free (If you have Access) . I just need to see a picture of what you want the output to look like to make sure I can do what you need.

If you don't have Access, but would like to enter the data in a manner that lets you pick a project, process, and date a welder welded. I can make a standalone application that would cost $50.00 to $75.00 payable only if you are satisfied. (I think buying Access or some other Database Management Application is the way to go).

If you just want an excel spreadsheet, Free, but excel is not my strong point.

Feel free to call me. Work is slow right now so I am available.

G Austin

Have a nice day
Parent - - By M.L. (*) Date 02-05-2003 12:51
[deleted]
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-05-2003 13:28
What the continuity log does is documents the "use of a process" byy a welder within your organization. This can be done in any format within the allowances of your quality system. If no documented evidence existed that a welder welded after his/her initial certification, an inspector or other outside party, could question whether the individual was still certified.

I have seen this done by making a new welder certification every 6 mos and indicating that the certification was maintained by production wellding. I have seen charts which were layed out
Date 1 Date 2 Date 3
Welder 1 #welds
Welder 2 #welds #Welds
Welder 3 #Welds

Or just reports by welder, indicating dates/projects welded.

Welder Name
Start Date to Stop Date

PROJECT PROCESS DATE OF WELD

Project 1 Process 1 Date 1
Project 2 Process 2 Date 2

That may give you a little idea.

Have a good day

Gerald Austin

Parent - - By Niekie3 (***) Date 02-05-2003 18:51
What is often done here in South Africa regarding a continuity log is a piece of paper that the supervisor signs and dates, declaring that the welder had indeed welded with the process in the last six months. If there is any dispute, finding signed off QCP's or NDE reports would usually be quite simple.

Hope this helps

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-05-2003 20:08
I simply keep a log of the jobs that run through our shop for a particular year and all of our welders are assigned to these jobs. All are qualified with SMAW 2G and all but a few are qualified FCAW 2G, so it's fairly easy to keep these records handy "for those who are authorized to view them". Records are also kept by "piece marks fabricated" by the week, so if they don't like my system, I can pull individual production sheets for each week of the year in question. As of now, I've satisfied all auditors and inspectors with my simple system. Some merely ask for a simple statement, written on your letterhead and signed by someone with a title(QC,etc.), verifying welder continuity. I figure it's probably not a big deal as long as they don't see re-occurring problems(rejected welds) with a particular welder.
Gerald has a good idea with that data base program, and I'm sure he can fix you up with something to satisfy the auditors and inspectors.
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS D1.6 1999 Essential Variables