Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding hard metal C.S
- - By - Date 02-07-2003 17:50
I need to weld a tanker axial hup (reparing) i think it is a hard c.s
there any comment.
Parent - - By Niekie3 (***) Date 02-07-2003 17:54
Will only really be able to help if we know what material we are looking at.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Parent - - By - Date 02-07-2003 18:10
I have a rear drive axle for tanker with ca.40,000ltr ,their is a cracks
in the side hup and it is a hard metal high carbon steel , i will
use 7018 el. could you tell me the procueder of welding in this situation
a bout pre .testing!
thanks for your reply.
Parent - - By George-kh (**) Date 02-07-2003 21:04
It must be known how much percent is carbon content.
Are any other alloying elements like chromium, tungsten, molybdenum, nickel and … exist in your alloy?
Parent - By welder2003 Date 02-07-2003 23:32
Hup??
Parent - By jer (**) Date 02-08-2003 06:35
Hello Stand 2, With all high carbon steels you must follow some simple rules here. First off you said there are cracks, this crack must be stopped and gouged out. When I say stopped you could drill small hole at end of crack on each end and grind out as much of crack as you can. Then you must preheat metal part to above 500 and try to keep it there during welding. Weld beads should be small stringers and peened in between each pass to help relieve stress. In the repair of any cracked high carbon tool steel I use weldmold 888 a shock resistant rod just for cracks.

Good luck J P Streets Welding
Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 02-08-2003 08:50
Hi

The reason that I asked about the material, is that usually any part that needs welding, will be fabricated with an alloy that is readily weldeable. It would be unlikely that they will make such a component from a high carbon steel, that is difficult to weld.

From your first post, I thought it was a wheel axle, but it now appears to me that it is a prop shaft. Is this correct?

Was the shaft fabricated with welding in the first place? How do you know it is a high carbon steel? Is it not maybe a low alloy steel or plain carbon steel?

All of this will make a difference to how you are to repair the component.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 02-08-2003 17:11
Stand12:

How confident are you in your ability to weld a hardened steel axle hub that has already started cracking and not have it fail later while in service? Think about it - a 40,000 lb tanker that travels on public highways. I can tell you now that I would not want to be travelling anywhere near this vehicle. If this axle breaks and some innocent soul gets killed, there will be an investigation. The owner of the tanker or their insurance company will claim you did not weld it properly and hold you liable for someone's death or monetary damages. And you'll tell them that someone on the Internet told you it was OK to weld it? Do you want that responsibility?

Marty
Parent - - By - Date 02-08-2003 18:59
FIRST :THANKS FOR ALL
SECOND: TO Niekie3 YES IT IS WHEELS AXLE , HUP IT IS THE
COUPLING BETWEEN THE WHEEL AND THE AXLE .
THIRED : TO MBSims YES YOU ARE WRIHGT BUT THERE A WAY
TO ENSURE MY WORKS LIKE TESTING WHAT YOU THING.
FORTH : THANKS A GAINE.
Parent - - By Niekie3 (***) Date 02-09-2003 10:27
Hi stand12

Almost anything can be repaired in some way or another, but one must have all the right information to make sure that the result is satisfactory. In the case of certain critical components, one should not take chances. For this reason I do not give you advice at this stage, because it appears to me that we do not have the full and correct information. If I gave you the advice on how to weld one material and it turns out ot be another and someone gets killed as a result, I believe that it would not be worth the cost saved by yourself for either the replacement of a new hub, or the advice you would have to pay a consultant that could come to have a look at the job.

Again, if you want advice in this matter, you need to give either the material specification or at least the chemical composition. This can be found from the supplier of this component, or by way of a chemical analysis of the material.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Parent - By - Date 02-10-2003 12:24
yes, untl now i dont have the full information a bout the material of what i need to repair firstly i thougt it is a hard c.s and our machinest told me it is a type of cast iron and some pepole said it is a low alloy and the tanker very old to contact the agent i will try to bay a drum from scrab used one with good condtion i thing this is better.
thanks for you and for every one try to give me a dvice.....
ali,
Parent - By - Date 02-08-2003 19:01
Parent - By Len Andersen (***) Date 02-08-2003 18:48
Sir,
I would suggest contactinhg the manufacturer for there recommendations. The truck frame do not weld decales are put there because of disappointments some of which were fatal! Hope I did you some good.
Sincerely
Len Andersen
lenandersen.com
914-536-7101
weld@spemail.org
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 02-08-2003 22:02
I assume this is a hub. The part with the bearings in it. The bores where the bearing races go must be really round to achieve reasonable bearing life. No welding process that I know of will avoid distorting these bores, thus remachining will be necessary. That in a simple device such as this will raise the cost of this repair surely above the cost of used part perhaps even close to new part. If remachining is not done you will run the risk of early bearing failure. Consider the worst case result- bearing fails and jams- inner race turns on the housing extension- friction burns off the housing extension- a set of dual wheels, a brake drum, and axle leave the truck cross the divider and hit a car. This happened (trailer wheels so no axle) on rt 80 in New Jersey a couple of years ago. At least one was killed. I would avoid this job. It is unlikely that you can do it safely for an economical price.
Bill
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 02-09-2003 19:34
You might also check with your state D.O.T. to make sure it is allowed for safety concerns.

Brian Maas
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding hard metal C.S