Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Bender for P.Q.R & Weld Qualification
- - By miggun (*) Date 11-12-2008 18:51 Edited 11-12-2008 22:09
The following pictures & videos show the bender we made for P.Q.R & Weld Qualification. It is based on a Mittler Brothers 90 Degree Tubing bender.
It will bend the following 3/8" sample plates:
D1.1, D1.2, B2.1, Mil. Spec. 12472301, Mil. Spec. 12479550

Gap:         Plunger:
2 3/8"        1 1/2"
2 7/8"        2"
3 3/8"        2 1/2"

D1.2 & Mil Spec. 12472301
3 7/8"        3"
Extra:
2"              1 1/8"
3"              2 1/8"
4"              3 1/8"

Video:

http://s417.photobucket.com/albums/pp259/miggun08/?action=view&current=MarkedSideBendVideo.flv
Attachment: BenderRam (0B)
Attachment: BenderDetailFrontView.jpg (96k)
Attachment: BenderDetailSideView.jpg (65k)
Attachment: BenderDetailTopRearView.jpg (102k)
Attachment: BenderDetailTopView.jpg (71k)
Attachment: BenderReadyForSample.jpg (79k)
Attachment: HolesInPlate.jpg (54k)
Attachment: PlungerTipsSprederBars.jpg (65k)
Attachment: RollerTieBarAssy..jpg (71k)
Attachment: RollersAreFreeToTurn.jpg (52k)
Attachment: SafetyCageinPlace.jpg (79k)
Attachment: SampleBetweenRollers.jpg (91k)
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 11-12-2008 19:57
That's the slickest one I've ever seen.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-12-2008 20:24
Miggun,
   Very nice!!! The safety cage is a very good addition as well, you don't see that much. :-)

jrw159
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-13-2008 12:52
Dude!

Do you have written drawings for that beast ?!?!?!?

Share!!!!!!!!!
Parent - - By Ke1thk (**) Date 11-15-2008 13:52
I love it! 

How about a tension tester?

Keith
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 11-18-2008 19:13
Excellent job...Post a quote for building another one!
Parent - - By miggun (*) Date 11-19-2008 19:40
This Bender was built for In-House use. The Tube bender was used only because it was the best power supply we had. I did not mean to Imply that we are in the Bending Manufacturing Business. I just wanted to share an Idea with the Forums.
Sorry for any confusion.
Miggun
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-19-2008 20:00
I don't think any of us cares rather you build them for a living, build us some anyway and make some bucks on the side.  You'll get my order.  When does it ship. I need it ASAP!!

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By miggun (*) Date 11-20-2008 19:22
OK Here's the Deal:

I can make these benders, but not at a reasonable price for one at a time. I would think that around 5 units the cost could be kept within reason. There is some information I need in order to move forward.

1.)  As stated earlier the power supply is a tubing bender with an air over oil hydraulic pump. I could approach the manufacture about buying X number of units (minus the tube tooling for a better price).

2.)  I believe the bender could be made to sit on a table very easily. We mounted ours onto a bed plate for convenience. A stand or a cart would of course add to the cost.

3.)  (How to pay for/ deposit would be determined later.)

Let me know what you guys think.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-20-2008 22:33
I for one am definitely interested depending upon the cost.  Could you at least shoot an estimate of what you think you are looking at if enough people are serious.  Any thing you can do to make it useable but keep the cost down is okay by me.

Have a Great Day, Brent
Parent - - By miggun (*) Date 12-01-2008 12:45
Am not blowing you guys off, work in progress!
We are working on it right now. Prints are pretty much drawn up, sending them out for quote for machine work. I will let you guys know as soon as I know more, should be pretty soon.

Thanks,
Miggun
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-01-2008 16:03
Miggun,  thanks for your efforts and time.  Don't make it too high a priority.  Am very interested in price though.  As I have told others, my problem has been the time to build my own.  I don't expect you to do one for nothing.  However, as with most people, especially right now, money is tight. 

Many of you have added extra pictures and personal experiences with building your own.  With my shop it is definitely a possibility, but with our workload currently the time factor is my major consideration.  Finding a respectable unit that doesn't cost bundles, it's no wonder most the guys I have talked to have built their own. 

Thanks to all, hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.  Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Jim12 (**) Date 11-21-2008 20:50 Edited 11-21-2008 21:07
I'm going to try and build one using a small hydraulic cyl and the same air over hydraulic pump, wish me luck!
Parent - By James Corbin (**) Date 11-22-2008 02:08
There are several ways to build your own bender. I made mine in 96 using a 12 ton bottle jack with top ejection so I could watch the bend face.
I traded writing some WPSs for the machined parts, welded up the frame from 6" channel with slots on each side for longer samples and easy access.
Just don't forget -"Unless otherwise specified, the specimen shall be tested at ambient temperature and deformation shall occur in a time period no shorter than 15 seconds and no longer than 2 minutes......." (B4.0-07 - 6.8.1)
Frankly no CWI should be without one. I'll attach a close up pic of mine.
Attachment: MVC-774F.JPG (192k)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-01-2008 18:50
Is there some filler/base metal mismatch going on or is there something else going on with this side bend specimen?
(speaking of the doghouse shape)
Parent - - By miggun (*) Date 12-01-2008 20:08
The Mismatch between base metals (165,000 psi., base metal pull) and the weld metal (103,000 psi. all weld metal pull) is the reason you will find that we moved to the longitudinal root and face bends. It is a lot more work to prepare the samples, but the results are much better samples. AWS B 4.0:2007, 6.10.1
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-01-2008 20:22
Your coupon bender makes our little ole homemade deal look kinda pitiful...LOL

I really like the adjustability that you built into yours for different grades of material...ours is strictly for 50ksi stuff and under in D1.1.(Figure 4.15)
Parent - - By miggun (*) Date 12-19-2008 16:29 Edited 12-19-2008 17:26
Here's an update,

One water jet quote returned, two still out. One hydraulic quote returned, two still out. I tried to Spec out hydraulic parts, from hydraulic supplier houses to avoid paying for bender parts that may not be necessary. We have used our bender quite a lot. And the most tonnage we have needed is 11.6 (in line gauge). The sample was a longitudinal face bend on mil-spec. High Hard (260,000 psi.). The Sample was 0.375 Thick X1.625 Tall. So here is the question; is 15 tons enough? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Miggun
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-02-2009 18:38
The bottle jack in my pic is a 12 ton...if that helps any.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-01-2009 15:27
Here is one I am going to pick up the parts for. Its one that a boiler company I work for uses with some modifications. This is just an CAD animation . I'll get pics of the real one when I get it together. Its for 3/8" thick material.

http://weldingdata.com/BendJigAnimation.wmv
Attachment: BendJig2.pdf (7k)
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-02-2009 03:13
Since pipewelder brought it back up, thanks for all the pictures and ideas guys.  I have been designing my own as well.  Will see what I can do about pics when we find time to finish it.  Have been very busy out of town lately working with a company that needed some extra CWI help.  Blessed to have family that has been running our shop at home.  Been very good experience working on this set of jobs inspecting.  Different than anything I had been involved with so far.

Working on two different benders.  One with a jack similar to John's.  The other with a wrap around.  Trying to see which will work best.

Miggun, have you finished putting anything together yet.  No pressure.  Just checking.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By miggun (*) Date 04-02-2009 15:08
I thought maybe this fell off the table, but I guess you can't dodge an inspector. As I remember we left this off at: 25 Ton or 15 Ton? So I had a hydraulic package quoted from a local supplier.
The 25 Ton is $200.00 less then a Mittler bender.
The 15 Ton is $500.00 less then a Mittler bender.
I would think that the Mittler bender makes more since because of its versatility, were as the separate hydraulic package would limit you to a weld sample bender only.

With all this being said: To do this bender one at a time, the complete bender package would cost $5000.00.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-03-2009 02:46
Hello Pipewelder;

Looking at the sketch and the animation it appears that the mandrel will not move far enough to bend the test piece a full 180 degrees to form a complete "horseshoe". The stops appear to prevent the mandrel from moving past the "shoulder" rollers. Am I missing something?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-03-2009 14:08
The keystock on the side plates allows for the mandrel to extend past the rollers. I will be adding a chamfer to either the outside edge of the madrel or taper the keystock some. The Mandrel will actually lift out from the top.

I hope to use it for bends for my welding class but cutting straps is an issue as we have nothing but welding machines. No torch or saws. Thinking about getting one of the carbide tipped skill saws (Evolution or Milwaukee).
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-04-2009 19:57
Looks like an interesting design.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Bender for P.Q.R & Weld Qualification