Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Commentaries in D1.1
- - By BryonLewis (****) Date 01-08-2009 02:33
Are the Commentaries in D1.1:2008 helpful when studying for the CWI exam.  I have nearly made it through the main body of D1.1 and getting ready to hit the Annexes hard, but am still wondering about the commentary.

Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-08-2009 05:07
There are no examination questions taken from the commentary. The purpose of the commentary is to clarify the intent of the main body of the code. Reading it should help you better understand why the code requires certain things.

The code is a document that has evolved over many years. It is sometimes helpful to read some earlier editions of the code to see how it has changed. Reading the commentary will give you more insight of why things are done the way they are, but again, there are no questions or answers from the commentary.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 01-08-2009 10:31
Good deal.  Thanks Al.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-08-2009 12:11
Bryon,

Forget about the test for a minute  (I know it's hard)

Reading the commentary will make you a better inspector!  (which will help with the test)

If you are anything like me you will run into code text from time to time that makes you scratch your head and think  "What do they really mean here?"......... This is when it's a good time to go to the commentaries...  I don't always remember they are even there... When I do remember and go to them, I ususlly feel better moving forward on the project.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 01-08-2009 14:42
Hell, I scratched my head bald in places.  It is interesting reading but pretty dry.  I think that I get more out of the tables and figures than the actual text.  Especially when so much of the test is like this:
"Blah, Blah, Blah (see Figure 4.X and Table 5.XX)"
I think that I will go back through the text and make notes on what pages the Figures and tables are on.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 01-08-2009 17:12
Be careful with that.  I've had too many people misinterpret requirements because they flip to a relevant-looking table or figure and don't read the code paragraph that references it.

Hg
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Commentaries in D1.1