Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / CWI exam
- - By jaysen schaller Date 01-13-2009 20:14
Is there a recommended set of books to study for the exam?
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 01-13-2009 21:25 Edited 01-16-2009 17:21
THE NEW IMPROVED ANSWER ACCORDING TO BRYON

Weldcome to the Forum,
Before anyone else can respond.  And the fact that I have just been Ok'd to take my CWI exam here I go:

1. Do a search of the forum. 

2. One of the following codebooks (dependent on the Part C that will be taken for the exam): D1.1, D1.2, D15.1, D1.5, ASME Sect VIII & IX, or the API 1104

3. Additional study material:  CM:2000, WI:2000, WIT-T, -W & -E, A3.0, A2.4, VIW-M, D1.1CCRM, or API-M

Hope that helps.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-14-2009 20:11
Gee, Bryon, I'm happy to see our help is appreciated. I'll keep it in mind to keep my answers brief and to the point. I wouldn't want to be included in the group you admire so.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 01-14-2009 21:13
I don't mean to offend anyone.  I am crudely endearing at times.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-14-2009 21:38
Aren't we all! ;)

It wouldn't be any fun if we couldn't bust each other's chops on occasion!

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-16-2009 17:09
Careful Bryon,

The way your response is written on your line after 'code books', you'll have him buying a lot of material he doesn't 'need' to prep for the test. 

You only need a code book for the code you want to test to.  All the other suggestions are dead on.  And go ahead and buy the books that will be provided as part of your cost at the seminar.  The extra study time before you get there will help a lot.  You can always give away or sell your extra copies later.

Also, there is a list of suggested reference and study books on the AWS web site with the application download for registering for the seminar and test.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 01-16-2009 17:15
I see.  Let me fix it.  Thanks. Brent
Parent - - By roadwhore (*) Date 02-05-2009 16:52
Thanks for the list, Bryon.  I've been searching the forum here for a while looking for answers, but still have questions 

I'm looking at taking the CWI exam myself (API 1104) and am looking at what books to buy before the seminar and found this list of Reccomended Self-Study Material :  http://files.aws.org/certification/CWI/CWI_Exam_only_pkg.pdf (click "Body of Knowledge")

What are the thoughts on getting B1.10, B5.1, and WIT-W? (recommended by AWS, but not Bryon). 

What about the books included with the seminar (ie: WIT-T, WIT-W, A3.0, A2.4, VIM-M, API-M)?  Should a spend the $582 for the books now only to get a second copy at the seminar?

While certainly I don't mind spending money on things I'll need and use, I don't like to waste it on what isn't needed.
Parent - By pax23 (**) Date 02-10-2009 15:29
After you signup for the seminar, call or email AWS and ask them to mail you your free copies now. All they can say is no, but who knows they might say OK. So long as you take liability for losing or not bringing them to the seminar then there should not be a problem, but if AWS does send them to you and you forget to bring them or you lose them then it IMHO you shouldn't expect another set at the seminar.
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 02-10-2009 17:09
THE NEW, NEW IMPROVED ANSWER ACCORDING TO BRYON

Now that I have taken the Exam.  I would suggest buying the CM:2000.  It is general enough to give a good overview of all that is on the exam.  Buy a code book and read that mother fu**er until the ink comes rubs off.  I cannot emphasize enough how the clock is against you on the Code section of the test.  I knew where to find 75% of the questions and took a little bit of time to find the rest.  If I didn't know some of the answers ahead of time from reading the Code book and studying it, I don't think I would have finished the test in 2 hours.

I wouldn't suggest any other book to buy in advance.  CM 2000 and a Code that is it.  If you have been a welder then most of the Fundamentals will come naturally.  DO take the seminar though.  I think that it helped a lot.  Not only do you get the other books at the seminar but if you have good study habits, there is ample time to study in your off time.  Take the test and seminar in a "safe" city.  I mean safe like a place where you won't get distracted.  Stay away from Vegas, New Orleans and Miami.  I took mine in Denver.  Talk about safe.  No distractions at all.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-15-2009 00:22
The ones recommended by Byron are all excellent. One source I used back in the day was the Welding Handbook Volume 1 8th or 9th edition and CM-80 :) .That was pretty much all I used besides the code books I worked with. It worked back then but who knows, the test may have been easier back then.

The welding handbook has pretty inclusive information on welding processes, nde methods, codes and standards, welding symbols, terms and definitions, mechanical testing, metallurgy, physics of welding, heat flow in welding, cost control, and more.

Have a good day. The main thing regardless of what books you use is to STAY interested in them.

Gerald
www.weldingdata.com
Iuka, MS
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-15-2009 06:11
Excellent suggestion Gerald.

The Welding Handbooks are an excellent source of information if you can afford the blessed things. It isn't like the good old days when the members got a copy of the latest handbooks as a benefit of your membership.

Every answer on the CWI can be found in the handbooks.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / CWI exam