Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / New CWI/First Post
- - By wrogers9 Date 01-27-2009 14:25
If anybody is looking for CWI training/certification or welding training/certification:
I would highly recommend Dan Luna to be the person you might go with.  He is a SCWI (senior certified welding inspector), with 30+ years of experience and is located in southern California.  He has trained and certified me in numerous fields of welding.  These certifications include GTAW, GMAW, SMAW and brazing/soldering in many different materials; aluminum, steel, stainless steel, brass, copper, cobalt etc.....He also teaches the WITM(Weld Inspection Training Module), which I have taken and have recently passed my CWI test.  I do have to say that his modules are more superior than the seminars, in that they have a lot more information and detail in them.  His classes are pretty tough, but you are prepared when you sit down to take the CWI test.  He actually did all of my training at Boeing (where I work), which helped me out tremendously, along with holding classes for our engineering department.  He also holds classes on Saturdays, which helps out people that don't have time during the work week.  Here is his email address if anyone is interested:

dan@weldingdocs.com

best of luck to all,
Bill
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-29-2009 15:10
Wrogers9,

Welcome to the forum.  From time to time a discussion comes up here about which instructor and/or organization would be a good one to get the training needed before taking the CWI exam.

There are searches you can do from here to find old threads if interested.  But, the new info is always helpful to others who may be searching this site looking for just the info you posted.

Good luck with your new work responsibilities as a CWI

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By shoeboxford Date 01-29-2009 23:20
where is he located
Parent - By BLAZER (*) Date 01-31-2009 01:03
Dan Luna is located in Manhattan Beach, California.  If you need more info, contact me at keithblazer@gmail.com
Parent - - By TXCWI Date 02-01-2009 03:22
I like you am also a new CWI. I haven't received my information in the mail yet, but I was so anxious to find out that I went to the CWI quick check on the AWS site and type in cert numbers until my name showed up. My cert number ended in 1 which evidently means that I passed the exam. I tested using the D1.1 code book, which was not as difficult as I thought it would be. The part B gave me fits, especially the plastic models.  The seminar was very informative, but I would advise anyone thinking of taking this exam to begin studying well in advance. We were reminded time and time again that the seminar is just a refresher. At any rate I was very pleased with the instructer. Now that I've passed the exam, the real learning begins.

Live from Texas,
JT

Parent - - By arrowside (**) Date 02-01-2009 22:24
You have the right attitude. As long as you accept that you don't know it all, and are open to learn, you will do well.
Parent - By Dale_1 Date 02-02-2009 15:58
I achieved my CWI in May of 2006 with the help of Dan Luna and his WITM (Weld Inspection Training Module) and yes it was a tough class, but I came out with the knowledge needed to be successful not only by passing the test and obtaining my certification but in everyday duties requiring CWI involvement. I have recommended Dan's class to several colleges and intend to take a refresher course when re-certification is needed.

So if you are interested in becoming a CWI career I would suggest sending Dan an email and find out when his next class is available.

If you would like more information you can contact me dale@coastaero.com or
I have attached Dan's contact information; dan@weldingdocs.com

Best of Luck,
Dale
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 02-23-2009 21:28
To All Forum Members and Friends:

1.) First, I wanted to thank Billy, Dale and Keith for the for the ads they posted recently for my one man show of a business in the Forum.
All of these guys are CWI's, all went through my WITM and all did very well on their exams.
Keith is the youngest of any student in the Module and just made the experience requirements specified by AWS to become a CWI.
He is now getting prevailing wage here in the Los Angeles area (East Side) with a total hourly package from the Operating Engineers - Local 12 of about $58 per hour.
Dale and Billy have opted to use their training/certifications at the aerospace companies they work for.
Billy has gone through several welding/brazing/soldering training courses with me since 2004 and now holds 30+ certifications in these processes for the Boeing Company.

2.) Just a "YO" to Mario.
I understand "Marro" Mario who I've met only by telephone is now working for one of the largest and oldest fabricators in town Herrick (or San Bernadino Steel) as a certified welder.
Keep at it Bro.

3.) Also, I was contracted by Globe Engineering last year in Wichita, KS and did help out Mr. Shannon Campbell, Mr. Bob Simon and a really fantastic group (Phil, Jeff, Brian, Don and Chris) in the Basic Code Requirements and Documentation Module. Not only were these guys great as students, but they were all very professional and all expressed what they had learned to be helpful in the day to day use of aerospace specifications such as the AWS D17.1, B2.1 and MIL-STD 2219A in additon to other specs. which they use in addition to a much better understanding of WPS's and PQR's.
(See forum link: http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=91388;hl=PQR%20Consultant)

4.) I quit posting in the Forum a few years back and noticed my last post on the welding of sheet steel studs was once again taken completely out of context by others.
I was not insulted by whomever removed their comments (some of them were true...).
But when others respond in a similar manner, it's cool due to the Forum "Clique Factor".
My issue is those who respond to those looking for actual, factual information but only get the smart remarks or spin offs into another topic which completely frustrates the Forum user expecting a professional reply from welding professionals.
Speculation is not a reply, it is just that.
Replies are made by those who admit they actually have no experience nor exposure to a specific process, procedure, material or product.
Some replies hinge on very dangerous to legal liability issues.
At the end of the day, individuals or organizations trying to seek help in what they thought to be a good resource for joining processes or materials go away empty handed.
Too bad.

5.) Now for a word from the sponsor (a commercial):
I am trying to get another Weld Inspection Training Module started for those in the Los Angeles/Long Beach areas for the 05-30-09 exam in Long Beach.
I had to submit an outline of the WITM to AWS for the 9 year renewal of my SCWI in 2007 which I use as credit towards teaching hours and have for the last 10 years or so.
These hours as an instructor have also been used to renew my ICC - SS&W certification.
This training may also be used for those who require accredited training by the AWS if you have failed the exam, or those who wish to use as PDH's in an upcoming examination.

We do not use any documents other than the AWS D1.1:2006, QC1, B5.1 and ANSI Z49.1.
My manuscript is used in lieu of all other recommended training materials for this Module.
We do not use the plastic weld samples, the classes get hands on experience using real weldments, actual mechanical testing and NDT exposure.
When schedules permit, we go to one of my local structural steel fabricator clients and get dirty in a real shop, NDT or metallurgical testing lab to see first hand how it's done.
My current class did steel macroetches and tubular aluminum bend tests in addition to mag/pen excercises a couple of weeks ago.
For classes where the students are performing well (at my discretion), the class will go over the minimum 40 hours I note on your invoice.
The additional hours are entirely dependant on the class as a whole.

WITM Requirements:
Cost of the WITM is $1000 per student.
Checks must be received 10 days prior to the start of class - no exceptions.
We have an extensive list of those who passed and are now CWI's (Dale, Keith and Billy included).
You may ping these people if you wish.
I have also successfully taught classes online in the past, but do not recommend this training, mainly because of the Part B section of the CWI exam.
For those wishing to receive supplemental training online for Part A or Part C of the exam, I can help - for a fee.
You must pass the Module with a minimum70%.
Notarized letters or company certificates are NOT issed simply for attendance - students must qualify by testing in the Module to pass.

I am getting lot's of mail from those who want free advice, training and a free lunch.
There is no free lunch to obtaining your CWI.
My students are scoring well into the 80's and low 90's on their exams and I have test results from the AWS to prove this claim.
Serious welding inspectors only please.
I also teach portions of this Module to companies and organizations who simply wish to expand there welding, inspection/testing or code book knowledge.

This is not a refresher course nor one of the classes that gives you questions and answers and tell you to memorize.
One of my current students has taken the exam twice at local college, and failed twice...
If your afraid of hard work, homework and any other type of work, please do NOT contact me.
Nor am I interested in looking at your forms, reports or pics from your projects, I already have enough to do and I am a Consultant, not a nonprofit organization.
If you want to beat me up on my spelling, ask AWS to install a spell checker...
Will post this in Training and Education, so don't state the obvious.

I have 4 seats available on Saturdays only for the May 30, 2009 CWI exam in LB.
Sunday class is already full.
Must start the Module within next 2 weeks at the latest so students will complete the class right around the test date noted above.
Classses taught locally are in Manhattan Beach, CA (90266).
I keep the classes small so I can give those who require more 1 on 1 time the help they need.
I do travel and provide training for companies all over the US of A and overseas, and can provide quotes when all pertinent info is submitted to my office for other exams and training.

Good Luck to all potential CWI candidates regardless of where you obtain your training, and thanks again to my friends who took the time to post honest Module critique.

Daniel G. Luna
Welding Consultant
Senior Welding Inspector
Contact me at: Dan@weldingdocs.com

Parent - By highveelocity Date 02-24-2009 02:07
I am currently taking Dans class and I am fully confident that I will ace the exam my first time. Now, what do I do about that fear of heights..........
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / New CWI/First Post