Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / changing horses midstream...
- - By tungstencarbide Date 02-16-2009 21:19
  So I've been a fitter/welder for 15 years.  Started off as a Hull Technician in the Navy with 6011 and 7018 rod and those old school, bulky, spool-on-the-gun aluminum MIG units that sometimes work well.  Now I have pretty much exhausted any challenges at the shop level and have considered joining the Ironworkers union to get my JIW designation.  Recently I have decided to try another approach and consider being on the other side of the shop as a CWI.  The union path seemed solid enough until I had enough time in as my shop's steward.  This is when I began to experience union policies crippling businesses.  After 8 overtime and after 10 doubletime is complete BS and promotes laziness and destroys budgets while getting minimal results for your dollar.  So I guess I have changed my horse because I don't want to be any part of what unions have become when those who are lazy make just as much as those who bust ass.  It's sad when you consider how many people had to die just to establish unions in the beginning. 

So I am wondering where a guy in Tacoma, WA has to go to get AWS/CWI training?  The thing that is weird in this state is that most shops don't recognize AWS certs.  Instead they priotize the WABO (Washington Association of Building Officials) cert.  So I am wondering if I would be cutting my throat going with the AWS path or if it doesn't matter as much as I thought?  Also, where do I get the books and a detailed list of materials I will need to travel down this path?  I've found one college here that was listed on the AWS site and left a message to the instructor.  So I still don't know if the course is offered there or if it is just the welding technology course.  I also need to know who to talk to to find these important seminars I should attend.  My range is from Olympia to Seattle since I am right in the middle.

Thanks for any info you can give.

Parent - By mountainman (***) Date 02-16-2009 22:16
WABO is just a glorified AWS qualification test. no different than the test plates in D1.1. the only difference that i have recognized is that for WABO qualification a certified WABO "examiner" must be present during the tests and the tests shall be performed at a WABO certified testing facility. also the qualification cards are the property of WABO. other than those additions, it is the same as AWS qualification requirements. most jobs i see in WA do require WABO certified welders, but i don't think there is such a thing as a WABO CWI. i believe in order to be a WABO "examiner" is to first be a CWI and then pass whatever criteria they have to become a WABO "examiner". so in other words an AWS CWI can inspect welded joints whether they where performed by a WABO cert. welder or an AWS qualified welder.
     as far as training, i think i read that you were a foreman. i don't know if you inspect welds or if you have Q.C. that does, but someone at your shop must be making sure that the weldments are compliant to a code (i am assuming). see what you can learn from the inspectors you are currently around and try to get your hands on the prevailing code that you work with to become familiar with it. i would also suggest the one week seminar before the exam. you can find dates of them on this site.

hope it helps,
JJ
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 02-16-2009 23:06
To perform welding inspection in WA (WABO) you will need the CWI and ICC special inspector cert. Then you will need to get approved by WABO. To get WABO cerified you will need to schedule an interview with building offical.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-16-2009 23:43
Hello tungstencarbide, WABO is completely based on AWS codes and procedures so you can't go wrong with an AWS/CWI pathway. If you would like more information on the WABO system, go to: www.wabo.org, this is their website and might answer a lot of the questions that you have. I believe there are also some of the preparatory classes for AWS/CWI available at some of the community/technical colleges located fairly closely to you. If not, the seminars are usually given in Seattle, Spokane, or Portland. Yet, you should also look through the archives on the forum here for a lot of really good study and practice information, along with tips for being successful on gaining your CWI. There is a bunch of it available at your fingertips on this site. Try using the search function and using such headings as "CWI exams and questions", "preparation for CWI testing", or other similar headings. Best of luck to you and regards, Allan
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / changing horses midstream...