Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Stud Welding PQR Test Questions
- - By eekpod (****) Date 02-26-2009 23:23
I have to test and write a WPS for the automatic gun stud welding of 3/4" headed studs to A992 material with the stud being applied in the horizontal position, and the base material in the vertical position.  Because of this it's not considered pre-qualified.  Also we have the special ferrules for that position. 

Question 7.6.6.1 Bend Test, I can either use a test jig that bends the stud back and forth 30 degree's, OR "Alternatively, studs may be bent 90 from their original axis".  So I don't have a jig with a hydraulic cyl, so I want to bend them over 90.  Thats an acceptable method right?  That seems easier than with a jig, but thats my opinion.

Type of studs
Type A, B and C  I believe from memory that type B is a headed stud, which we are using.  Whats a type A or C?? I see table 7.1 and it looks like the tensile/ yeild sets them apart but is there more to it?

What kind of form have you used to get this info on?  I can change my WPQ form but there seems to be alot less nformation needed with the auto gun method.

thanks Chris
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 03-03-2009 21:53
Yes.  Headed Anchor Studs (Type A) are used in all types of concrete connections.  These are usually 1/4" dia. thru 5/8", but I've seen 3/4" and 1" dia. used for these purposes.  Shear Connector Studs (Type B)) are usually 3/4", 7/8", and 1".  They're also headed but designed to tie the concrete to the steel beams and to resist shear loads between the concrete slab and steel beam in composite construction.  Deformed Bar Anchors (Type C) look very similar to rebar and are designed for weld and bearing plates in concrete connections.

Years ago, headed studs for general use and headed studs used in composite beam design had different head diameters and different head thicknesses for the same stud diameters.  For example, a 3/4" dia. concrete anchor had a head diameter of 1 1/4" and a head thickness of 3/8", while the same 3/4" diameter shear connector had 1 1/4" diameter head and a 1/2" head thickness.

Good to see that you're using those special ferrules for the horizontal position. 
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 03-04-2009 11:20
thanks for the reply.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Stud Welding PQR Test Questions