Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI to transition from CS to Aluminum
- - By Mwccwi (***) Date 03-08-2009 09:30
How much of a challenge would in be for a CWI to transition from Carbon steel background to aluminum?

I do not have access to D1.2 to study up and it's been 10yrs since I had a class on aluminum. But I've been laid off from the job I've held for the last 7yrs and in my area it seams that all of the opportunity for a CWI is in Aluminum mostly certifying welders.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 03-08-2009 16:27
Mwccwi,
  It should not be much of a challenge. By aquireing the CWI you have proved the ability to inspect to a code not just the code you tested to. Now I can fully understand the unfamiliarity, but the information is in the code, and you should do just fine. I tested to D1.1 and have not had any problem inspecting to other codes. Now I have not done much with aluminum, but this is just due to the fact that the opportunity has not yet presented itself.

jrw159
Parent - - By Ke1thk (**) Date 03-09-2009 11:01 Edited 03-09-2009 11:04
Welding codes are similar but different.  It's kind of like the Microsoft Office products.  If it took you 100 hours to understand Word, it should take you 50 hours to understand Excel, and 25 hours to understand PowerPoint.  They build on each other.

The symbols are the same.  So are the terms and vocabulary.  A fillet weld is a fillet weld.  The currents are different.  Cleaning is big.  Some of the defects are the same and some different.  Cracking is big. 

The PQR, WPS, and Qualification requirements are similar, but not the same.  The acceptance standards and tests are slightly different.  The Code itself is around $150 (?) on this website.   

Go for it.

Good Luck,
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 03-27-2009 23:50
Do you know of a way that I could see a comparison of the basic Welder qualification test og D1.1, D1.2. D1.5 amd D1.3. I'm looking of free like maybe web links or something. I've thought of heading to my local AWS section to see what they have to offer in their library but, the 2 hour drive is kinda limiting me.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-28-2009 01:58
Try your local tech college
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 03-09-2009 12:45
D1.2 has sections and clauses just like D1.1.  Follow the rules and you'll be fine.  You will ahve to gain experience with this just like you would anything else.  Just be honest with your employer and you'll be fine.
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 03-09-2009 20:53
Thanks for the feeback fellas,
I kinda figured as much, I shot my resume out and maybe I'll get lucky and find something in-house to work with me through the transition. The initial feeling I get is that these folks are looking for 3rd party and I'm in no-way comfortable to step into that domain.
Ke1thk - the $150.00 might as well be $3,000 for I'm broke and can barely make the gas money for the interview if I get one.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI to transition from CS to Aluminum