Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / part b of cwi exam
- - By crazycajun (**) Date 12-31-2007 21:11
my question is the part b 2006 that is downloaded online. is that the exact book that will be used on the cwi exam or will they give you a different book when you get there to test and also the aws qc-1 2007 i hear they will have some questions on the test from that as well. i have the latest edition of welders inspectors technology and the work book for it on the way. and i have a2.4 and a3.0 are those the only books i will need to pass the cwi exam?
Parent - - By arrowside (**) Date 12-31-2007 23:33
They will give you a partb for the exam. I haven't looked at the one online to see if it's different. If you would like an actual partb, give me your name and address and I'll send you a real one. I have a few. Do you have D1.1 or the API books, whichever you"re testing too?
Parent - By commonarc (**) Date 01-01-2008 14:09
They make a study guide for the code portion of your exam also.  I suggest you get all you can and study.
When I paid the fee for my CWI to schedule the exam, they sent me a copy of the Part B.  This was back in the Spring of 2007.
There is also a visual inspection study guide.  All are available from the AWS store.
Hope this helps.
Parent - - By crazycajun (**) Date 01-02-2008 11:18
bmaturin@superiorderrick.com the real part b would be nice for sure. and no i dont have the 20th edition 1104 yet. i know the work that i am doing i just never had anyone to show me anything with the code yet. that sucks big time.
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 01-02-2008 12:25
The footnotes are the killer with the API-1104 book.  I suggest you get a copy of it long before you take the CWI seminar and exam.
Also, buy the Manaul for Welding Inspectors study guide .  Lots of sample tests in the back.  You'll need to know weld symbols.

If you're paying for the exam out of your own pocket, you should really study for several months before taking the exam.
Just my opinion.  I studied for about an hour a day for several months and I passed on the first try but over half the class was taking the test for the second or even third time.
Parent - - By crazycajun (**) Date 01-02-2008 13:24
well i have the welder inspector technology text book and the workbook is on its way. as far as weld symbols go i have the A2.4 and the WIT-T has weld symbols in it as well. yeah i plan on paying it for myself i will test probaly in april.
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 01-02-2008 19:25
That should give you plenty of time.  I used to study on my lunch break and I would read while walking on my treadmill.
Get a cheap micrometer and learn how to use it if you don't already know.  Same with calipers.  It will help with the exam as time is limited. 

The test models you use can be confusing.  Study the flaws and the definition of what determines them to be called what.  This can be confusing.  Ex.  Undercut vs Underfill.  There is a fine line here. 

Again, the footnotes are the killer in both the API and the Part B.  Study them.

Good luck
Parent - - By crazycajun (**) Date 01-02-2008 19:54
i know how to read calipers and micrometers. undercut and underfill i have no ploblem with those. my only problem is how to measure prosity i never really had to do it before so i think i might have a lil trouble with that. what edge is there besides study study study. i heard they have alot of questions out of QC-1 where did most of your test questions come from?
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 01-02-2008 21:55 Edited 01-02-2008 22:03
the questions were all over the place.  Ethics, terminology, weld symbols, etc.   I've been a welder for over 20 years and what you THINK you know how to do is not what AWS says is the correct way to do it for the test.  "Stinger" and "Whip", "Stick" and "heat" may be the terms everyone uses on the job but they will make you fail the test very fast.  Electrode holder, work lead, SMAW electrode and Amperage are just some of the terms you'll need to start with.  Know all the terms GMAW, CAC, OFC, PAW, etc.  It really is a hard test and the undercut vs underfill is a VERY FINE LINE according to AWS that you should study up on.  What we think is right could be wrong according to AWS.   Most of the guys I talked to who were taking the test over and over again were either long term welders who thought they knew it all or engineer types who were too smart for the room.   I passed with an overall exam score of 85% but I studied my tail off. I would have failed if not for the many hours of study.  If you fail one section, you have to take it over again.  Study the weld symbols and welding symbols.  There's a difference between weld and welding symbol according to AWS. Lots of tricky questions.  Porosity measuring was hard.  You have to read the questions very carfully and only answer what they ask for, not what your brain is telling you to do. Decimal conversion and a good standard scientific calculator are a must.  Nothing fancy, just a good calculator like a Texas Instruments TI-30.  Learn the basic functions. Again,  read the footnotes .........or you'll get the answer wrong.

The hardest questions were those that went like this:
ANSWER:
a) both a and b
b) both b and c
c) a and b only if b is .....
d) all of the above
e) none of the above

These are the ones that will drive you nuts.
Parent - By arrowside (**) Date 01-02-2008 22:21
Commonarc is spot on. I meant for you to give me your real address and I'd put one in the mail.
Parent - - By graveyhog (*) Date 01-05-2008 06:02
Can anybody out there elaborate a little more about the question that "CRAZEYCANJUN" was asking on "Part B" on the CWI EXAM. I mean if its not to bold to maybe go a little in depth of how the "HANDS ON"  portion of the sample welds I have read about over the last few years.  I do not want to give nobody the impression that I'am trying to get a freebie.It's the nightmare of waiting to take it this year and I have been studying for forever.I would like to read some real good detailed information like "CRAZEYCANJUN" was asking about like measuring porsity. How would the test be tricky in a question like that. Reason I ask,from old forum question and response were TRICKY QUESTIONS on the part B. I hope AWS does not get affended for asking this type of question.I Read this Forum everyday and I don't respone to questions very little.But  I like the topics and interesting questions and responses from fellow peers.I Have to get that CWI .More $.By the way I was a pipewelder for 22years and decided to make a move.I got out welding because of eyes and artithritis,but its been good to me and I still enjoy it everyonce and while.So guys help a old timer out with some wisdom.
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 01-05-2008 16:01
It's pretty tough to explain about the Part B.  The tests are different for each seminar at least that's what I've heard.  The key is to answer just what they are asking for.  Some of the plastic models are VERY tough to read as they are scratched up from the measuring tools.  Several of the welds look like crap but you need to overlook this and just answer what they are asking for.  If I remember, they ask you to measure from one end and indentify if the undercut is over the specified amount, the weld is under or oversized, porosity is ??, then you look it up in the part b and make sure the footnotes don't override the decision.  Stuff like that.  The porosity was hard to measure for me because of my eyes and the lighting at the test site really stunk.  Adding up the decimals and again looking for the footnotes in the part b. 

Still trying to break into the inspection field with my new CWI.  Just got it in September. Applied to a couple of places but turned them down. They want me to start off at a very low pay scale despite 20 years in the trade and a huge number welding certs in a variety of industry and construction. Lots ofnew kids out there with CWI's.   The union I'm in seems to promote family members over qualified people so I may be looking elsewhere. Contractors really don't seem to care about having a real CWI and train a guy for a couple of days and then they rubber stamp everything for them.  At least that's been what Ive witnessed.  I plan on looking into it more in the coming months.
Parent - - By crazycajun (**) Date 01-05-2008 16:16
what payscale are they trying to get you to work for so that i will know what to expect
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 01-05-2008 17:07
[deleted]
Parent - - By crazycajun (**) Date 01-05-2008 17:17 Edited 01-05-2008 17:20
damn i make $20 an hour now and i am not even certified yet so it looks like it will be a hard time trying to get more when i am certified. kinda sucks to have to go through all them test and not make more money if they are only offering 18-22 an hr i guess it will come after more experience with a cwi i hope so anyway.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 01-06-2008 16:19
The Visual Inspection Workshop 3rd edition will be handed out toward the end of the week and it contains Part B. Buy the Visual Inspection Workshop book from AWS for about $50 and learn it in advance of the seminar. In fact, it will help to study either the Certification Manual for Welding Inspection or the WIT before you take the seminar. They are expensive, in my opinion, especially since they will later be given to you as part of the seminar you paid for, but it is also expensive to fail your exams.
As for pay scale, it shouldn't matter. If you have passion for your work then you'll succeed appropriately.
Parent - By commonarc (**) Date 01-06-2008 23:01
"As for pay scale, it shouldn't matter. If you have passion for your work then you'll succeed appropriately."

Can you call my wife and tell her that?  
Parent - By crazycajun (**) Date 01-07-2008 03:53
as far as not to worry about payscale because of passion. sorry chief passion doesnt pay the bills in the free country we live in. dont get me wrong i enjoy what i do but i will not let my enjoying something bring me to the pits and have my family on the streets because i enjoy the job that doesnt have a very good pay scale. the two reasons i picked this line of work is because i enjoy it and it pays. passion is for hobbies not for the bills. appreicateing your job for what it does for you is what i look for it just so happens that i also enjoy my job not many people can say that. most people connot honestly say they like the job they have. i can but i also like the idea of a healthy payscale. so if thats the passion that you speak of. than i can say that my passion will lead me just fine in the wide world of welding and fabrication.
Parent - By graveyhog (*) Date 01-07-2008 14:31 Edited 01-07-2008 14:35
Ha Commonarc thanks for the input in your reply.This is a good start .Good luck in your job hunting. Also thank you "Stringer for your reply .I appreciate that you guess did not heckle me about asking such a bold of a question.
Parent - - By lonewolf658 (*) Date 03-08-2009 22:39
If you still have a few code  books  left that a working  man can afford ( lol)  if its possable  i'll try taking  them off your hands  for you .I have copy of the cert. manual (2000 version)Looks like my testign be  put off another yr. My email is  lonewolf658@ hotmail.com You can always tell when a  newbie hits the forum cant you??
Parent - - By crazycajun (**) Date 03-09-2009 02:40
the only book i have is the code book and i keep that for work. i didnt get all the books from aws. i went to real education and they dont give you all the book like aws. they go through the books with you but dont let you keep them. just a 3" binder and a banging amount of homework . like 1500 questions all together in a week. get in touch with linda taylor in real education she can get you on the right track.
Parent - - By hvymax (**) Date 03-09-2009 12:55
The point of the part B is to get you to use the code that is in front of you. Things are changed intentionally so that if you apply anything you already think you know you will probably get the answer wrong. You should spend your time familiarize yourself with finding the necesary information as efficiently as you can in the real D1 it is the encyclopedia. The part B book is a comic book that only applies to the test and once you can navigate that the part B book is nothing.The important thing to remember is that almost every question is a trick question and that you have to carefully pick apart each and every one as well as every possible to your complete satisfaction. The other important thing is to first breeze the ones you know,work out the ones you can reasonably quickly and when they give you the 5min warning wag the rest [a 20%chance is better than none]                                         Good luck John B.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 03-09-2009 14:05 Edited 03-10-2009 14:25
hvymax

None of the questions are "Trick Questions".  All the questions are reality based.  The difficulty is that the test separates those with real inspection experience from those who do not, and do not read the entire question.  The footnotes that so many inspector wannabees ignore on the exam are applicable quite often in real life, although they might not be footnotes, but exceptions in real life.

Back in the 1980s there were trick questions, but the committee has been very diligent about reviewing the questions and removing "trick" language.

If by "Trick Questions" you mean we have an incorrect answer that will fit your bad math, bad question reading or bad inspection methodology, you are right!  Why Not?!?!?!  Doesn't that separate the men from the boys?

Joe Kane
Parent - By Arctic 510 (**) Date 03-10-2009 01:16
Well put Joe!

Attention to detail!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-09-2009 16:25
http://files.aws.org/certification/CWI/Book_of_Specs.pdf

Part B is available for anybody to download and print off for study if they wish...  You don't need to wait for the exam to see Part B

The thing to remember with the code portions is that it is important to reference the text and tables quickly for every question you can...

The purpose of studying the Books, D1,  1104, Part B, etc. is to become familliar with how they work and where particular information can be found...  The purpose of studying these books is "NOT" to commit information to memory.  There are too many footnotes and exceptions to approach these questions by memory.
Parent - By hvymax (**) Date 03-10-2009 10:21
Sorry about the expedient term usage. Most of the questions have a tiny nuance that changes everything and most of the answers pretty well fit except for one tiny thing. This is necesary because we are being tasked with discerning tiny things that could cost many lives I was pointing out that you have to be on your toes or you will probably blow it.Commonarc I feel your pain my local was told by our international to send 4 people for the test of which I was the only one to pass but my hall has not found a use for it or me for that matter in the last 4 months. The powerplants are starting the outage season and even though it is a little less than my usual hourly scale the 7-12s,perdiem,hotel packages kind of make up for it [this is my first as well]
                                                              Good Luck all John B.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / part b of cwi exam