Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Mac or PC ?
- - By swsweld (****) Date 03-24-2009 23:56
Home desktop bit the dust a couple of months ago so I finally switched to a Mac. They are much more expensive and it takes a while to get use to. I had never used a Mac before. So far it has worked very well. I had to buy Office for Mac to run Exel and Word. No anti virus software needed. They aren't as susceptible to viruses. Besides the initial high price and some software compatibility issues I like it so far.

Last Thursday someone stole my Sony laptop from the job site office trailer sooo I need to get another one quick. Again the high price is a problem. The lowest price for a Mac is 999.00. I was just curious what you guys thought about Mac notebooks. Is it worth the extra money or not? Strictly for work no games. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 03-25-2009 00:34
I think the cost is relative. My wife has always used Mac and I have always used PC. The PC's come home cheaper, but I can't do what she can without spending more on software and then the issue is software conflicts which she rarely encounters. There's no free lunch. Now that the Mac will run anything that's the way I'll proceed from here on.
Parent - By octavio morales (*) Date 03-25-2009 04:58
MAC IS PC'S DADDY LOL I LOVE MY MAC. I HAVE NEVER OWNED A PC AND NEVER WILL. I'VE HAD MY MAC SENCE 2001 THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE EVER HAD IS THE POWER SUPPLY WENT OUT ON IT ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO. COSTS ME $40
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 03-25-2009 11:42
PC for me.  I have been down both roads, and for the price you will never convince me to go Mac.  First, software developers for PC outnumber those for Mac by something like 20:1.  That stat may be a little off, under if anything.  Second, repairability.  I can usually fix whatever goes wrong with a Microsoft OS.  The Mac is very good for certain apps, and it will work well for smaller-scope projects, but your choices in software are going to be fewer and much more expensive, relatively.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 03-25-2009 15:15
really boils down to preference and what you use the computer for, I did computer repair for years and still friends and family always hit me up about it.  I exclusively work on pc's tho. Mac's are closed systems and generally not as open to repairs or upgrades.
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 03-26-2009 13:21
There's lots more software on the shelves for PC, but when you look at it, it's mostly anti-virus stuff and things to make Windows work better.

If you really want to save money:

1. If you still have the monitor and keyboard from your old PC that died, get a Mac Mini for for $599. It's just been upgraded and there are even cheaper "refurbished" older models on the apple site. Comes with all the software you are likely to ever need. And works with your old monitor and keyboard/mouse.

or 2. Get the cheapest PC you can find and load it with a free Linux operating system such as Ubuntu. Virus free and lots of free Office-compatible apps. This is what I use at home. (You can buy a PC laptop now without Windows sometimes and save even more that way.)

Ross
Parent - By vantage500man (**) Date 03-26-2009 18:45
mac and never look back jack
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Mac or PC ?