Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Testing
- - By MRK Date 04-02-2009 17:51
I am currently on contract in Iraq and will probably be sent state side to test for CWI is there anything that I can download or order on-line that I can get for study material to be better prepared.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-02-2009 20:09
Welcome to the forum.

This online forum itself has VAST CWI training information... Try the search function and you will be busy for weeks.

If your people are willing to pay to send you stateside than press them to purchase ALL the recommended training materials listed in the AWS website

http://www.aws.org/w/a/certification/CWI/   Here is a great place to start.

Bring your questions when they come up...  There are many top flight inspectors here that are willing to give detailed help.
Parent - - By MRK Date 04-05-2009 03:32
Thank you for the info, much appreciated. The company seems to think attending the seminar alone will prepare me so I am on my own to get study info, thanks again for the info.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-07-2009 03:52
Maybe you can get your company to spring for the cost of a set of Welding Handbooks from AWS. They are a great reference and they contain all the back ground (and more) needed to pass the CWI or SCWI examination. They may not honor your request to purchase study materials for the CWI exam (they are provided at the seminar), but good reference materials such as the Welding Handbooks can be used by anyone that is responsible for inspecting or designing welds.

A couple of my Welding Engineering courses at Ohio State University used the Welding Handbooks as the course text.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 04-08-2009 17:58
The "Certification Manual for welding Inspectors" (CM:2000) was what I studied, and worked out great. It covers alot of information that is seen on the test.

Jason
Parent - - By MRK Date 04-09-2009 03:39
Jason, how can I go about purchasing this text, I am overseas and would need to eather have my wife purchase it for me and mail it here or can I find this text online and purchase it myself and have it sent to me. Thanks again.
Parent - By flamin (**) Date 04-09-2009 14:07
I purchased mine directly from the AWS website book store.

Jason
Parent - By moose (*) Date 04-22-2009 11:57
MRK,
I have all of these books for sale. They are all brand new and unmarked.These are the same books given during the seminar/exam week for D1.1. They are extras and alot cheaper than what you can get them through the AWS. Good luck with the exam.
WIT-T 2000  Weld inspection Technology book new no marks  $200
Workbook for above new no marks  $50
A3.0:2001 Terms and definitions new no marks $80
A2.4:2007 Weld symbols new no marks $80
VIW-m2006 Visual inspection workshop new no marks $50
B1.101999 Guide for NDE new no marks $80
D1.1 2006 Strucual steel code book new no marks $200
I also have the Part B code book used for the CWI exam to add.
All these books are brand new.
All prices are without shipping, I will knock off $100 if the whole bundle would be purchased at one time. Prices are negotiable also.
Any one interested in any of these items can either post on here or email me at m.drosky@tiffincrane.com
Parent - - By MRK Date 04-09-2009 03:44
Are these hanbooks the actuall codebooks. I have been informed by a CWI here that the hardest part of the test is knowing how to use the book and that is what I should find a study guide for. Thanks
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-09-2009 03:59
They are not code books.

Al
Parent - By flamin (**) Date 04-09-2009 14:17
All will depend on your experience and knowledge of the subject matter prior to testing. If you have some welding background already, some parts of the test will be easier than others depending on what your current experience is. Personally for me, the fundamental and code book were easier than the hands on part. It's going to be different for everyone. So I would suggest brush up on the stuff you already know, and hit the books hard on subject matter you are less familiar with. It's a tough test, but if you study diligently, you should be fine.

Jason
Parent - - By lonewolf658 (*) Date 04-10-2009 02:01
Hi fella's,i have a ? concerning study handbooks as well.I have the Cert.Manual also picked up a copy of the sample fundamental exam  and found a copy of a welding licensing exam study guide to use while i work on getting the code book and a few more .In your opinions this a good start ,i allready see the study guide is nothing more than a refresher for what i allready learned in past mostly ANY and ALL help WILL be GREATLY appreciated and Welcomed. By the way i dont type to good either lol.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-11-2009 01:45
Part C of the CWI examination is the open code book examination. You need to select one of the codes listed at the AWS website and study it before the examination. The most popular codes selected are AWS D1.1, API 1104, and ASME Sections IX and B31.1 with B31.3.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 06-21-2009 14:37
I don't many any disrespect, but it would be advisable to learn how to type well. A key part of being an inspector is being able to properly report on results of inspections.
I would suggest picking up some books on creative and report writing. An inspectors reports can find themselves on the desk of anyone, including CEO's, lawyers, And government enforcement agencies.

For example, the I-35 bridge collapse, I can assure you every inspection report on any part of that span is and has been under intense scrutiny.
The job is not done until the paper work is complete. If it's not in writing, it never happened.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By robgreg1978 (**) Date 06-22-2009 02:18
I don't "mean" any disrespect???
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 06-22-2009 03:29
Some people get perturbed when something like that is posted. It's meant to be constructive, and not critical.
Parent - - By alandjones62 Date 05-29-2009 00:51
Hello,
Have you took the exam yet?
Parent - - By MRK Date 06-21-2009 11:40
I finally got a date just sent my packet for the 22nd of august exam for the d1.1 the one my company needs. Ordered some study material from AWS bookstore since I will be home a month prior to my exam on R&R. I will also be attending the seminar prior, should I go ahead and order a codebook even though one is provided at the seminar? Any advice and suggestions will be apreciated.
Parent - By alandjones62 Date 06-22-2009 01:04
Hello again
If you already paid for your class and test. You should be able to contact them and have your code book sent to you now. Also Download your PART-B book and read it also (It's only about 30 pages). anything that you can read and get fimilar with befor the class and test will be better for you. I took a 2 week class at Hobart and the class was 8 hrs. and the home work every night was 4 to 6 hrs.
You will need to read up on nondestructive testing, destructive testing, and symbols for welding. I hope this helps you.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Testing