Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / cwi jobs
- - By joe pirie (***) Date 05-06-2009 22:51
hi all, while rehabbing from a hip injury. i used the free time to obtain my cwi license. ive been a steel fabricator/ welder for 28 years.
and im still working as a pipe welder out of local 250 los angeles. Ive been searching online for 6 months now for an inspectors job.
i can't believe the low wages some of these companies are offering. is this a joke aws cwi, with icc structural steel and bolting 15.00 per hr
the wages are all over the place and since io have no real inspection experience the better paying jobs don't  even say no thanks to my resume.
now im wondering if i should go ahead and get more certs  api 570  asme sect 9 etc. I had no problem passing  cwi so i don't think the other tests
would be a problem.  With the costs of all the code books and study info  is it worth it to pursue . what certs are the most in demand any info greatly appreciated
tired of burning rod  Joe
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 05-07-2009 00:55
It is too bad the AWS doesn't have a capitalization rule requirement to be able to keep your CWI.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-07-2009 15:35
joe pirie,

From what I've seen, the L.A. area is rampant with companies wanting CWI, ICC, ASNT, and everything else to be an inspector and reap incredibly low wages. If your serious, you're going to have to dig deeper than the want ads. I know there were CWI positions offered to me in the $40 + range last fall, but with the current economy, who knows?? As a contract inspector, 40 just don't seem enough to pay your own taxes and all that. I don't know how anyone could make it on that.

With some API certs, you would probably be more desireable whether new or experienced. Looking into that route myself right now
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 05-07-2009 17:03
Be carefull with the API certs, USA has a very high fail rate.

Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 05-07-2009 17:46
Can you show us your comparison of failure rates for different countries?
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 05-07-2009 18:03
No I cant, I just know that USA has a high fail rate due to bad preparation.

Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 05-07-2009 18:11
OK so it is just your opinion. No factual basis. I got my 570 with no prep course just self study. That sound like we do have good prep.
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 05-07-2009 18:13
No, it is not my opinion, it is what I was told.
API has stopped posting the pass/fail ratio :) (interesting)

Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 05-07-2009 18:32
No, it is not my opinion, it is what I was told.

Thanks that is so much more creditable!
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 05-07-2009 19:35
I know that you like paragraphs and quotes.
Ask API what the fail/pass ratio is.

Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 05-07-2009 19:47
No, what I like is not taking someones word for it. If you make an accusation that you are better due to nationality, then please give a reference.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 05-08-2009 08:32
I dont say that I am better.
Call API.

Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 06-08-2009 04:12
Read below to as why I dont think any nationality is better than another :)

Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 06-07-2009 22:46
Im a bit late to this thread, but the USA is not alone in high failure rates for the API certs. For that matter, the Euro and Asian variants are no better.
It is my opinion that most certification schemes have gotten to be more about money than assuring the person in question knows what they are doing.
Thats an all inclusive statement.

No one certification scheme is necessarily any better than the other. The worst thing about them all is they use time as a metric. Some people whiz through
a test, some don't. But the idea of time being a variant is simply absurd. Which would you rather have, someone that takes the time to get the answer right,
or someone who squeezes out an answer/guess due to a time limitation.

It sends the wrong message in my estimation. With todays technology, test could be CBT with a proctor watching the test remotely. The nature of test questions, and how the person goes about getting the answer is more telling of ability than answering in a short time. Many of the people who fail are failing due to taking the time to get it right.

Is the message "do it in a specific time frame right or wrong, or is it do it right the first time?

Speaking specifically of Euro certs, I've worked multiple international projects and have found there is no difference in the percentage of clueless inspectors between CSWIP and other certification schemes. Some people can take a test, some can't. I'd take a boat load of experience that can do the job right vs the same who can pass a test.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 06-08-2009 04:11
Better late than never :)

I agree, there are PLENTY of clueless "Eure cert" owners out there......plenty!

What I was trying to say was not the difference between CSWIP, API, EWE, etc....
But its a fact that the API courses in the US has a relativ high failure rate, compared to europe.

IMO, one of the reasons for that is that must course providers in the US allow people to just sit the examination without a prior course, this works well for some people such as hogan. That is a very great accomplisment in my oppinion, as I see the test to be very tricky, so you really has to know your stuff if you chose that route.

Until very recently Europe only had 1 API provider - Matthews Engineering - and he has a very strickt rule that students needs to follow a 5-6 months online class with written tests every 3-4 weeks. Failure to complete the tests with good results would terminate you from the programe instantly.

Because of that 80% of his students pass the first time, until a year ago the pass rate for the 653 cert was 100%

I dont know about the Asian providers at all, but judging from this forum it also lack a thing or two :)

Sorry for spelling errors, etc.....its early morning and I am about to leave the office.

Have a great day :)

I agree.....Using a strickt time frame as a limit is rather absurd, and might even exclude some very good inspectors.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 05-07-2009 17:45
It is the same as welders wages. You can have a job welding the exact same thing, at one shop they pay $12.50 and at another they pay $19.75. The 570, 653, and 510 will bring in more money. As 3.2 has stated the failure rate is up there.
Parent - - By 91dorp Date 05-07-2009 18:43
I can put you to work on the east coast for over $20 an hour.  I don't know about Los Angeles, but I left San Diego 2 years ago with the same certs making $35hr. on most jobs.  Sometimes things were slow and I took a short job for $30hr, but that isn't a good way to do business in the long run because you set the negotiation lower for the next job.  I've heard that things are slow on the west coast right now, so wages are probably lower, but I have never known a CWI who took $15hr. in So. Cal.  Have things changed dramatically?  Remember that local 12 Operating Engineers is around $38 on the check with full benefits, retirement, and vacation.   Prevailing wage in San Diego was around $50hr when I left.  Taxes are actually better as a contractor because you get to write off travel, vehicle, and any other expenses that come up.  If you work as a contractor, get an accountant because I was audited in 2002 and was lucky to have everything documented by a CPA.  You may want to take a job that doesn't pay great, but helps you gain experience.  I started with ICC certifications and no experience around ten years ago and made more than $20 back then, without CWI.  Good luck.
Parent - By fsirk (*) Date 05-29-2009 20:20
91dorp is right, check out local 12 Operating Engineers.  You are not very likely to find a good job through the 'help wanted' ads.  Although, sometimes I see jobs advertised on the local craigslist under A&E and also on the ICC job board.  Achieving your CWI is a major accomplishment, but it is also very important to get jurisdictional certifications - like from L.A. City, L.A. County, Orange County, etc.  You should be in high demand with your CWI and some jurisdictions.  Also, many structural welding jobs in construction ask for ICC certs. so you might consider looking into those certs.  Feel free to surf my website forums for local special inspection info.  My forum site is new, but hopefully traffic will build and connections can be made.  Go to www.greenfrontierinspection.com and then click on Community Forums.  Best of luck to you.
Cheers.
-Kris
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / cwi jobs