Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / must have insp certs
- - By joe pirie (***) Date 05-09-2009 22:01
alright got my cwi. what else is must have icc, la city, api, asme . having a tough time finding a job with no real inspection experience.
30 years welding and fabrication experience. tired of burning rod ,any advice on breaking the ice appreciated   Joe
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-09-2009 23:33
Joe,

You can have all the certifications in the world but without experience you will still find it hard to get work to match your heavily invested wallet cards.

It will probably be easier to get into inspections by working for a company that already has all the contacts, reputation, report forms, insurance, etc that the customers are looking for.  It is hard to man most jobs as a one man show.  And there are many other things that need to be done.  That does not mean it is impossible.  Just difficult.  You will minimize mistakes and increase the learning curve by working for/with those who have already been there. 

Then, you can take the time and the money to start adding other certifications as you see a need and feel it is something 'you' want to add to your resume.  And it is possible the employer will help out if it benefits him as well.  Adding ASNT certs for MT, PT, UT, etc are some examples.  Or, as you mentioned, bolting through ICC.  And there are many others.

But, just adding certifications is not neccesarrily the best venue to acquire a paying job in inspections.

Hope that helps.  Just my two tin pennies worth.  Hopefully others will jump in as well.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 05-10-2009 01:31
right now i make 33.20 hr as a union pipe welder.  im willing to take a pay cut to get my foot in the door,  but im not
going to work for 15.00 hr ,a company in  las vegas advertised for a cwi with icc bolting and icc masonary .is this right
are cwi's really willing to work for that? i've sent resumes to several insp firms most don't even bother to reply. iv've
sent resumes to companies soliciting cwi's immediate openings. not a single reply.  getting very discouraged  with the whole insp scene
orange coast college cwi class $675.00 aws test  1,000.00, api code book 150.00, d1.1 book 300.00 misc study books 250.00
ndt certs ive looked into 500.-1,000 each cert. over 2,000 invested. im signed up with several online job  hunting agencys
any other ideas on how to get in the game  thanks   joe
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-10-2009 02:21
They are fishing at 15 hoping to find some fresh cwi who doesn't know any different.
I do suggest not cold sending a Resume, and I also suggest looking at the format of the resume/cv. Very often the companies you are sending to are looking for specific verbiage.
If you wish, you can send me a copy and I'll look it over for you and tell you what I'd be looking for on the inspection end.

Regards,
Gerald
NDE LIII UT, RT, MT, PT, VT
CWI
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-10-2009 02:40
Joe,

Especially in these economic times, to take good advantage of a career change, you may need to take the $15/hr job.  I don't know that you would stay at that for long.  Companies aren't going to offer top dollar to someone who hasn't proven themself.  But top side of $20/hr may be a ways off until you are able to add certs, experience, equipment, and many other things to your resume/portfolio.

In many respects we still have a shortage of top quality, certified welders and certified welding inspectors.  But, coming out of winter slow downs, national economic slow downs, extreme money shortages, and several other factors, there are a good number of qualified, certified, EXPERIENCED people out there looking for work.  You have to make some concessions to get the job when they can have experienced people for cheaper than they used to.  And even if they can't get them cheaper, at least they get experience.  Less learning curve.  Less non-productive start up time. 

Also, what do you have to offer for code books and inspection tools?  Do you have everything you need?  Don't need to give me a list, just answer the question for yourself.  If sent to a job do you have several of the weld gauges and other tools needed to check many aspects of the product?  Do you have current copies of D1.1 (I know you have API 1104), AISC Steel Construction Manual, IBC 2006, ASTM codes, Bolting, etc?  A computer and printer, or will you hand write reports?  If so, how is the penmanship?

Not trying to be destructive in the next comment,  Constructive,  I hope you don't type a report, resume, or take notes like you type your posts here.  Take pride in your education.  Capitalize, punctuate, use the most correct spelling you can, carry a dictionary and thesaurus along with your code books. (I make too many mistakes myself when it comes to spelling and punctuation).  If we are truly "Professionals" we must look like it, act like it, and work like it.  Set an example for others (the kids coming up and watching this site).  Show competence to possible employers/customers/contractors.  I have inspected for companies that thought more of a long, well written report than they did of the actual inspections accomplished.

All I can think of for now.  Again, just my two tin pennies worth.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 05-10-2009 03:35
I'm about to start studying for the ICC certs.  The AISC Steel Construction Manual, boy thats QUITE a book.  Lots of tables, numbers and charts.  I think its going to be quite and endevour but I am excited about it.  I have always liked watching buildings go up and I want to be a part of it.

I've seen a lot of jobs wanting not only CWI but multiple ICC certs too.  Which IMO won't be such a pain in the arse as getting the CWI.  You can take the ICC exams almost anywhere and anytime.  Unlike the CWI where you have to probably travel, take off work (if you're lucky enough to have a job).  Not to mention the costs associated with it.

The ICC exams are like $200 each and the references needed seem to be much cheaper than those of the AWS.

I too have sent out many resumes with no reply.  But that is what I expected be new to the game.  I was told by a big man around town that I need to get the ICCs.  Now that I am looking into some of the local codes I can understand why he told me about the importance of those certs.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-10-2009 04:01
One other thing of note;

It's been mentioned to get some other certs. One thing that is in very short supply are steel and concrete dual certs.
Doesn't matter whats being built, there is usually some concrete to go with it. When money gets tight, people usually try to stretch it. Why hire two people when one can do the job.
http://www.concrete.org/certification/Cert_pgminfo.asp?pgm=Concrete+Construction+Special+Inspector

There are a host of certs out there, but it doesn't pay just to have the cert just because.

In this market, I'd shoot for ACI certs. ICC has similar certs, the problem is they don't transfer by default to either oil and gas or nuclear. If either of them go up, the ACI cert and CWI can be used. For that matter, while it's not settled as of yet, the pad pours for wind farms are leaning towards the ACI cert, and the nuclear realm has already accepted them.
It sucks that you can't get the cwi to work for you at this time, but the bottom line is, by itself, it's not going to get it done because there are a lot of cross certified persons out there who have shifted fields out of oil, and into gas and or other realms at this time.

It would also be a good idea to do some market research on your own. Not a lot of point in a cert that is not currently in demand.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / must have insp certs