Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / cws or cwi or any suggestions?
- - By kkfabricator (**) Date 04-25-2009 15:00
I have been welding in a fabrication shop for over 6 years now and am looking to expand my career. I am the lead welder at the shop and have absorbed every bit of info that I can that pertains to welding. My father in law owns the shop, and we have been doing more and more structural jobs and have been learning what I need as the jobs come, but I want to expand my knowledge.  I am looking at the cwi course and the cws course, but can't decide if they would help myself and the company. any suggestions of what I can do would be very appreciated.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 04-25-2009 21:30
That's a tough decision if it is either/or. In time both would be beneficial to have. Both would help you and the shop. A few things to consider would be if the shop suffers more from quality control (or lack there of) or from production. The CWS would help with both. The CWS will help the shop choose the correct processes, wires, gasses, joint configurations, etc., and will also help quality, production and the bottom line. The CWI will help the shop stay code compliant and improve quality and that will help the shops reputation, attract new customers and keep the existing customers happy from a quality standpoint. It will also help the shop with the task of qualifying welders, WPS's and PQR's.

We don't know much about your operation so the responses may be general. How many employees work there, do you have a quality program, is the owner interest or just you, are you an AISC shop, plan on being one, field work or just shop fab, what codes do you work to?

In my opinion the CWS would help the shop more unless the shop suffers from a quality perspective.
The CWS would have an instant impact on production and profitability unless the shop already operates very efficiently.
The CWI would be more helpful to you if you were to leave the shop and seek employment as a CWI. There are more opportunities for the CWI than the CWS but both are very useful and valuable.

If you are not going anywhere I would suggest the CWS first and then the CWI next if the owner (paw-n-law) will pay for it. The CWS will help prepare you for the CWI. Keep absorbing the info and both are good choices to help you personally and the shop. Good luck with your decision and the shop.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 04-26-2009 15:28
If you can qualify (experience and education wise), I would recommend the CWI.

Many projects require that the company have a CWI in the QC department.. I haven't heard of any requiring the CWS.
Parent - - By kkfabricator (**) Date 05-11-2009 00:37
Thank you for the input. I have decided to go with the cwi. my only problem is that I want to make sure that I pass and I am wondering if anyone knows of a course that I could take prior to the seminar that would help me to insure that I have the best chance of passing. I don't want to waste money or time off work just to not pass so I want as much knowledge going in as I can get. if there are no classes than some sort of study guide would work.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 05-11-2009 02:00
I've seen several posts in here selling the CWI seminar materials. If you have no formal training in welding I highly recommend you purchase them and start dedicating at least 1 hour a day to studying. The seminar should be considered a highly structured review and not the focus of your pretesting.
Being a good or even great welder has little bearing on the CWI success. Study and perserverance..

My suggestion is to take the seminar and schedule the test for a later date

I could possibly part with some of the materials..PM me if interested
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 05-11-2009 02:28
Due respect: If you don't have the academic and technical experiences, the CWI examination will be challenging, to say the least.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / cws or cwi or any suggestions?