Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / API 1104 YAHoo!!!!
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-14-2009 14:14
Well, I just had to get on and say that I tested two days ago on a piece of x-52/12"/.250" butt weld. I was happier with the root pass I ran on the same exact pipe the night before(nice wedding ring inside) but this one was tied in, the CWI's checked it out and gave me the go to cut it up. I was proud of my cap though, it's come along way and was nice and tight and layed right in there. I did my 2 face/root bends and then did 2 nick tests and 2 tensile. Both my tensile's let go at well over 80k and the pipe broke and my weld just sat there and laughed!! That was cool stuff to watch. I also did a knock off, really wanted to do the 12" saddle but could not afford to buy 4-6 feet of 12" x-52.

So I now have my controversial "papers" unfortunately(I think I can live with it though) now I have to seriously look into an SA of some sort but figure I can run my ranger around here on small pipe and try and build up a little egg of sorts. It's sure ain't easy starting this thing from absolutely nothing but I'm sure I would seriously get laughed off a job if I showed up with my ranger 8!! Probably get some chuckles on the small stuff, gotta start somewhere ain't got $20k bustin a hole in my pocket looking for a new home, for that matter I don't have 5k!!

This sure feels good though, been planning on doin the test for the last two weeks and when I got done and took a deep breathe and let it out and relaxed!! Now that I know I should be getting my attitude back!! Don't you ol' timers take that "attitude" the wrong way.....I know I don't know everything and openly welcome critisism/advise, the attitude I refer to is, yeah, I can do it. I get that locked in and tests...no problem. That's how I was on ASE tests as a mechanic, go in and sit down, no problem if I don't know the answer I can figure it out. Out of 10 ASE tests, never failed one.....never studied either, except for the 15 minutes before the test on Automatic transmissions out in the parking lot. I always figured if I did not pass without studying, then I was not ready. Obviously have to practice at welding though!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-14-2009 17:02
Cummingsguy,

Congratulations.  Feels good to know you can do it doesn't it.  No matter rather the paper you possess right now will help at other jobs or not, you know you can pass so you will be more comfortable taking another test if need be.  And, employers know you have done it so are more apt to give you a shot on their test.

Congrats anyway,  Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By hillbilly (**) Date 05-15-2009 03:49 Edited 05-15-2009 12:49
Kick A$$ for you Shawn. It's always good to get these behind you. It'll only help you with the future tests, like you stated. give me a shout sometime, I've found a local(nashville'ian) that knows a thing or two about SA's, especially knowing where to kick the bushes to find one.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-15-2009 19:28
Yeah, I'll have to get up with you sometime and try out yours. Stan at school said he ran one at one time and said it was the sweetest-smoothest machine he ever laid his fingers on. I've been looking on here....these guys know what there worth, but trying other sites hopefully find one in a barn somewhere.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / API 1104 YAHoo!!!!