Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / bolting and plan reading endorsements
- - By 1316 (**) Date 06-09-2009 22:06
i see that they are now available for testing.  is there any information as to what the recommended study material is, or how the tests are structured?
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-09-2009 22:47
More importantly, how long before it is recognized out in the real world?  If no one will accept it right now, then it might be better going with the ICC Cert for Structural Steel and Bolting.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-10-2009 23:21
Bryon,

More than likely, seeing as most projects of any size are on the board for 2-5 years before they get to the field erection stage, just as with the year of D1.1 that the job documents and contract will call out for inspections, they will be 2-5 years before it will be showing up in any plans as an acceptable certification.  That does not mean they are worthless.  It will just take an effort on the inspectors part to get the EOR to recognize the new form of certification.  I think that given AWS's reputation and long standing success in these areas they will be easily convinced.  But not always.

I, for one, am not opposed to being on the leading edge of the curve.  I intend to get into this ASAP.

1316,  Where did you see that they were available?

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-10-2009 23:54
I saw it here:  http://www.aws.org/w/a/certification/CWI/

They must have just recently got it in together.  I still haven't found any price or test times on the tests.  I wouldn't mind checking into it myself.  I've been studying, not as much as I should for the ICC certs and have seen some work out there for the ICC stuff.  But seeing how the AWS endorsements are new I would imagine that it would take time to become accepted.  
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-11-2009 00:24 Edited 06-11-2009 00:31
Bryon,

I did considerable cruising around from the link you posted and the only thing I can find (if I could find it again, me and computers) was in the fee schedule.  Down a couple of items on the left it had a section that said 'Supplementals/Endorsements' or something to that effect.  It stated a price of $275 I believe.  I will try to find it again.  I could not find any thing on books, classes, etc.  I would assume (don't go there) that the AISC, RCSC, and other docs used by ICC would carry all necessary information.

I'll see if I can find that again.  Have a Great Day,  Brent

Okay, after clicking on your link, go to the 'Price & Schedule' over on the left.  Then you will get a screen the towards the bottom states '2009 Certification Price Schedule'.  It will give you the current fee schedule which includes a price of $275 for 'Supplemental Inspections Examinations/Endorsements'.
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-11-2009 01:19
Got it.  Thanks.
Parent - - By thcqci (***) Date 06-11-2009 19:37
I took one of the BETA tests in August 2008.  Never seen an ICC exam but have seen an ICC "special" inspector.  WOW!  I sure hope he was the exception and not the rule.

Sometimes it is hard to remember exactly what is on an exam after you walk out, but these are my thoughts after 10 months: 

Bolt exam was pretty straight forward and uses RCSC and AISC Manual of Steel Construction.  If you can use them and are familiar with Skidmore use, you will do OK.  I had time left to take 2nd quick look thru exam to recheck my answers.  Mine was 44 questions.

Drawing exam was another matter.  Finished right at 2 hours; no time to recheck any answers.  Still only need AISC MoSC as a reference (as best I remember) and the set of prints that they give you.  I see tons of fabrication drawings, some erection drawings and occasional design drawings usually only during kick off meetings or when trying to clarify a question on a fab drawing.  I had to figure these out in a hurry!  This exam will drag you all through entire set, looking for references in charts and footnotes and sections.  That is something one would regularly need to do in the real world, just not with a 2 hour window and many more questions to answer.  That is not complaining, just reality of an exam.  If you regularly look at design drawings, then this should be easier for you than it was for me.  Mine was 30 questions.

Exams were fair but be prepared to turn pages quickly!  Passed both comfortably, but you will have to know your stuff to get thru efficiently in 2 hours.  There is no way to memorize material on exam so it will have to be open book and AWS will tell you what books to bring.  You should have access to books you need for exam in advance so just be familiar with them and you will do OK.

Hope this helps.
Parent - - By 1316 (**) Date 06-11-2009 23:38
thanks everyone for the info, im sure aws will come out with the applicable information in due time.  im sure im just jumping the gun i was just hoping to sign up since the exam will be in my area in a short time and i didnt want to miss the cutoff date.  i really dont need them work is obviously slow and i thought this could be something to occupy my time.  Since the company is willing to pay for it.
Parent - By trapdoor (**) Date 06-12-2009 01:06
Here's a little test taking tip for the plan reading.
First off read all of the general notes. Then flip through the plans and locate any schedules, i.e. beam connection, bolting, column, and footings, try and read any note intensive pages or details too as well as becoming familiar with the general layout of the structure. After you do that then begin to take the test. On the ICC test a lot of answers can be found in notes and schedules and if you spend the time to go through them first you will save time in the long run instead of doing fruitless searches everywhere else. I have only taken the ICC so I can't be sure where most of the questions will come from with the AWS test but if I was going to sit for their test I would use the same approach.

Good Luck
Ramon
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / bolting and plan reading endorsements