Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Sample Test Question Supplied With Package
- - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-22-2009 19:46
Does anyone know where the "Sample Questions" are located online?

I recently visited a friend who was studying for another CWI exam. He showed me a question about allowable dmensions for an AS-Fitup joint . It appeared none of the answers took into account the statements indicating as-detailed and as-fitup were added together.

This was a 2006 set of questions. It seems odd that a set of samples would have an error but Im sure it happens but it still is a concern. Has anyone noticed this or am I just lost as a goose reading that they can be added together? He missed the last test by ONE question !

This guy is a quality manager for a company and a CAWI however I did NOT witness him doing any inspections :).
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-23-2009 18:20
Or if someone just has the wording of the questions related to prequal joint details as is in the 2006 handout and wouldn't mind typing them it would be great. I only looked at the question in passing and didn't write down the wording .
Parent - - By wiskybuck (*) Date 06-24-2009 21:52
Where did he get the sample questions from?
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-24-2009 22:26
I am pretty sure they came with the package that was sent after he sent in the application.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-14-2009 20:47
I just recieve the actual questions and actual answer key. There is nothing in the question that indicates "as-detailed" dimensions are to be considered . After reviewing them further, I don't think there is an issue.

He was thinking one question did not have the correct answer but after seeing what he selected, I realized he and I both had previously ignored the word "MAX" that was next to a root face dimension. 1/4" MAX is the same as 0 to 1/4" but we treated the 1/4" as nominal and thus selecting the wrong answer. I didn't take note of that when he asked me about it in the office but caught it today when I worked the answers out for myself.

If the only reference is to the detail "TC-U8a-GF" then the actual allowed dimensions shown for the JOINT are all that is applied. Since no "Detail" or "Design " was generated the allowance of the 1st part of clause 3.13.1 does not apply.

After receiving the answer key and question from my friend today we confirmed that the answers given are correct. Both of the questions on the sample test do not reference as-detailed tolerances so all that can be used us as specified in the detail and as fitup.

Its my opinion that if no detail or design is given, the allowance provided for fitup is all that applies. Also, if the "As Detailed Tolerance" is applied to detail drawings, the "As Fitup" tolerance can be "stacked" on top of that and still be in accordance with D1.1 .

Sometimes its easy to miss the simple things.
Parent - - By thcqci (***) Date 07-15-2009 19:37
I think I know the area of the sample test you are in.  Either question 36 or 37.

I just finished helping to instruct a class for CWI candidates.  One of the questions in the sample D1.1 code section is this:

37.  For the prequalified joint B-L2c-S, what is the range of root face dimensions, as fit-up, permitted for a base metal thickness of 1 inch?
a)  3/16 to 5/16 inch
b)  1/4 to 5/16 inch
c)  1/4 inch maximum
d)  Not limited
e)  0 to 5/16 inch

In D1.1 it says that the groove preparation tolerance for the root face, as detailed, is " f = +0,-f ".  It is the only " -f " I could find in the tables.  I thought this must just be a typo, but went back for years in the D1.1 and looked it up in the AISC Steel Construction Manual and it has been there for years.  Since we don't do SAW here and have not dealt with SAW for years, I have never noticed it.  I wrote to AWS and did not get a good answer to what is meant by "  -f ".  Does it mean that you can have anything from the given dimension in the previous column to no root face (a knife edge) since a -f = (the given dimension minus itself) = 0?  Can anyone here provide a better answer? 
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-15-2009 20:57
On that question I suggest the as-detailed dimension is not relevant. My thinking is based up Para 3.13.1 says "...3.13 may vary on design or detail drawings.." . In the context of the question, only the nominal dimensions apply. Then the As Fit up tolerances are added to the nominal dimensions of the detail. Thus the answer 0-5/16". 

Part of my confusion from the beginning was not catching the "MAX" and thinking the 1/4" was nominal. When I saw the key DID not have 3/16" to 5/16" I thought the answers were wrong and told my friend there seemed to be an issue.

I was wrong since the actual nominal was 0 to 1/4" without the as-fitup. Adding the As Fitup allowed 0 to 5/16" since there is no -1/16" root face .

The moral to my part of the story is read the question, then read the question, then look at the code, and then look at the code.

Hopefully I haven't muddied any water .

The -f is interesting as I can see no others specified in that way.
Parent - - By wiskybuck (*) Date 07-16-2009 12:31
Wow! Are they all that confusing? I hope not....exam next week. The code portion is what I'm worried most about.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-16-2009 12:55
Its not that the question was confusing as much as I was missing part of it.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Sample Test Question Supplied With Package