Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Part B
- - By wiskybuck (*) Date 08-12-2009 15:31
I have to retake Part B of my CWI. I failed with a 63%. I passed my D1.1 and Fundamentals test pretty easily, so my overall average was above 72%.
Broken down, my work mainly needs to be done on NDT 2/6, WPS/Welder Qual. 5/10, and Welding Insp. and flaws 16/23. I am surprised I did not do better on the qualifications section....I did do well on that in the D1.1 exam.
Not sure when I'll be retaking the tests, but I would like to work at it now. Any suggestions other than studying the Book of Specifications?
Thanks,
Parent - - By Ke1thk (**) Date 08-13-2009 18:11 Edited 08-17-2009 11:49
I took the book (I can't remember which one) and made my own flash cards/study guides.  I'm thinking about the thin book that has the three dimensional drawings with the little circles near each defect identifying them.  It's the book that shows a dozen different types of cracks on the drawings, and detailed definitions.  It’s green and a very good book.

I photo copied the drawings and used white out to cover the answers.  I read the book and answered as many as I could. 

I borrowed calibrators, micrometers, and weld gauges worked on using them.  I studied converting measurements SI into metric and vice versa.

Also, I thought I seen somewhere where you could buy the plastic replicas.  I didn't buy them, but keep defective photos and samples when I can.

Good Luck,

Keith
Parent - By flamin (**) Date 08-13-2009 20:42 Edited 08-13-2009 20:46
A couple of good books to look at would be, AWS B1.10 (Guide for the Nondestructive Examination of Welds) and also AWS B1.11 ( Guide for the Visual Inspection of Welds). Both have good photos and illustrations of various dicontinuities and defects, and also some good explanations.

Jason
Parent - By wiskybuck (*) Date 08-14-2009 02:15
I do happen to have those. Studied those a day before the exam.
Also a quick thank you to Lawrence and and the help he provided. Great guy!
Parent - - By nqm Date 08-17-2009 18:02
Hi! can you give me information about the cwi examination? what is the passing score required for each part (part a, b & c). suppose i passed part a, & failed on part b & c,

do I have to retake part a? thanks in advance
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-17-2009 19:24
Welcome to the forum NQM

All the information you need for your questions  are  in these two doccuments.
http://files.aws.org/certification/docs/QC1-2007.pdf

http://files.aws.org/certification/docs/b5.1-2003-errata.pdf

Also use the search function in the foum archives..  There are great threads for people studying for CWI certification.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Part B