Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Passed CWI, thanks Hobart!
- - By Buser (*) Date 04-02-2009 02:17
I recently took the Hobart Institute of Welding Technology 2 week seminar and CWI exam.  Passed with a 87%!!  That course is really good.  Anyone on here ever attend?  I've used them for my CWS and now CWI.  Anyway, looks like a great forum, look forward to using it!

Buser
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-02-2009 03:01
Welcome to the AWS Forum and congrats on the test.  Hope you continue to enjoy both.

Never used Hobart but have heard lots of good things from others.  Looks like they made it all fit together for you.  That's what counts.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-02-2009 13:22
Buser,
  AHH.. Nelson, Chuck and Elmer. Very good guys. I took the course almost 6 years ago, and I will recommend it to anyone. It is pricey, but well worth it in the long run. Glad to hear you are happy with it. :-)

For what it is worth, I still speak with them on occasion for help when feel I may be misinterpreting something or when I need clarification. The continuing support they give is golden.

jrw159
Parent - - By alandjones62 Date 05-29-2009 01:00
Hello

I just took the 2 week seminar, It was great!!! still waiting on my test results, they should be back next week. I just got my AWS membership also. looking forward to using all the benefits here to.
Good Luck
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 05-29-2009 10:28
I took it in 2002. A great deal of welding knowledge between the three of them! I was impressed with the school.
Parent - By mrwelder (*) Date 06-04-2009 20:58
Elmer is the man!!!
Parent - - By crazycajun (**) Date 06-16-2009 00:35
congrads, on passing. right now everything is so slow i dont think i will ever get a chance to use mine. i got it about 8 months ago. seams like everything is so slow noone will give me a break. im still stuck as a QC at the same company i was working for when i got it.
Parent - - By jtryan137 Date 06-16-2009 08:17
My company asked me to take it and laid me off the day before the test so they wouldn't have to pay.  I've been out of work since March.  But, I know it will be a big help when things pick up.
Parent - By jsdwelder (***) Date 06-16-2009 09:55
Man that sounds like you got the shaft!!! What ever happened to "People before Profit?" At any rate, having a CWI in your pocket can only help your career.
Parent - By crazycajun (**) Date 06-19-2009 03:56
yeah it seams as though alot of companies are cutting close to the bone if ya know what i mean. i guess i got lucky i still get at least 40 hrs a week. it pays the bills but i cant even BBQ on the weekends. so i am still keeping afloat. from what i hear there just might be something happening in the next couple months.
Parent - - By cwi49cwe (*) Date 06-28-2009 23:14
Hobart was the best thing you could have done to jump start your future, my first was in Nov. of 1972 and it has paid off a 100 times over, I've even been to Tulsa and they can't hold a candle to Hobart, Hobart means " integrity ". Just remember one thing, NOBODY is going to GIVE you anything! You have to be PREPARED when OPPORTUNITY knocks. Then you earned it. Never stop learning ( prepared ), read and read somemore, always try to stay ahead of the game of knowledge. As a 17 year CWI, I've been threatened with my job if I didn't lie on inspection reports ( it's called being a "team player" ) and ignore faulty practices and everything inbetween. It's been my personal experience that ship yards are the worse, privet contract inspection is the best, ie. Michigan and Ohio DOT bridge work, 3ed party inspection is also real enjoyable, they demand real professionals. Learn the codes, get a strong math foundation, learn as much as you can about the basics of metallurgy, NACE paint inspection, and build a strong background in welding processes and procedures. The biggest splash I ever made was because I knew welding processes and exposed over $100,000 worth of weld defect repairs on one job, and there was three other CWIs on the job. HOBART was just a good start ......................
Parent - - By cwi49cwe (*) Date 06-28-2009 23:17
One more thing to consider, NDT ....... Hobart has an excellant PT and MT starter coarse, DO IT ......
Parent - - By Daniel Pendell Date 08-07-2009 13:29
Did you guys take the same class from Elmer that I did?  The person that taught the code book said, "Use the index" and left the room.  We review lots of material about Oxyacetylene Welding, GMAW, SMAW and so on. In fact, for an entire week of the two weeks. I taught all that stuff at the local community college for five years and even in high school for 3 years.  You all must have passed or you view the class through rose colored glasses.  Elmer's a great guy, but without prior code book knowledge it not enough.  Every person that I contacted after the test failed it.  And I called a number of people.  The way I understand it, the AWS doesn't want ever Tom, Dick, and Harry to pass the code.  And Hobart obviously makes money from lots of failures and retests.  They are a for profit company.  I am now using the cert. that I have and am a happy camper.  But I wouldn't recomment this class to anyone cold, without prior extensive knowledge of the Code book.  I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but don't inform these young men wanting their CWI less than the truth.  Know your code from front to back.  The class if not enough.
And I don't mind if you think you have an alternative point of view. 
dan

Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-07-2009 14:10
Daniel,
   If I am reading this correctly, you took the two week CWI preparation course at Hobart and failed?

jrw159
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-07-2009 17:15 Edited 08-07-2009 17:23
Daniel

I am dismayed to read your posts about the CWI Exam and your experience at the Hobart CWI training course. You are the first person I have ever heard say what you did about this course.  I sure would like to speak to the "several people" you spoke to who failed this test after taking the same classes you did.  I do not believe you are telling their side of the story!!!!

I take issue with your contention that "AWS doesn't want every Tom, Dick and Harry to be a CWI so they purposely make it hard to pass..."  Almost half of the Society Membership is made up of CWIs!?!?!  I can tell you that the AWS does NOT want unqualified persons to be CWIs.  Your statement sounds like sour grapes to me!

In another post you said that you taught various welding processes in some school???  Do you really, really have the necessary background and experience with a code to even qualify to take the CWI Exam?  Did you really really weld to a code, or were you just a general type welder????  No one is supposed to take this test "Cold" as you put it!  They are supposed to have the minimum experience and the minimum level of knowledge about the various subjects listed in AWS B5.1.

You said; 'Part B is a crock.  You must get a handle on this before taking the test.  Measuring welds, defects and so on..."  Why is measuring weld defects "crock"?!?!?!  Don't you think that a person taking a National Examination to perform weld inspection should have to demonstrate their competency to use the tools and perform a proper evaluation of a weld?  Do you think that this is all you will do as a practicing CWI?

If you were a teacher of welding subjects, did you make your course and test so simple that no one would fail your course????  If you look at the AWS B5.1 "Qualification document", you will see that many subjects listed in that document are not covered on the CWI examination that you took.  The CWI Exam is not that comprehensive, so, your contention that "...AWS doesn't want every Tom, Dick and Harry to be a CWI so they purposely make it hard to pass..." is really specious.  It is more likely that you did not have the level of knowledge and the required experience necessary to pass this test or even be a CWI if you accidently happened to  pass the examination.

The AWS Certification Committee, of which I am a Member, and the "Test Bank" subcommittee, do review the examination results on a continuing basis and reviews the test questions (Item Analysis) on a regular basis.  The program is designed to weed out as many of the obviously incompetent applicants as possible, yet qualify all persons who can demonstrate the competency required to comply with AWS B5.1.  The Committee uses various analytical techniques that are common to most other educational and testing programs around the world. 

The AWS is a Not For Profit organization, (Not a Non-Profit organization), which tries to serve the welding industry and the general public interest.  There are no stock dividends for the staff and the board members because you (and any number of others) have to retake the examination after failure.  The money AWS makes from the examinations and seminars go to support the other activities of the Society and the "Administrative Costs of Operation" of the Society.   The Certification Committee does not get paid anything for it's work.  All members are volunteers, who pay their own travel, hotel, meals and office expenses.  The Qualification Committee Members who say what the required body of knowledge subjects will be, are also total volunteers.  The only satisfaction the various committee members get out of anybody failing the exam, is the knowledge that their hard work prevented some "INCOMPETENT" from staining and polluting the profession.

I hope that "using the cert that you have", does not mean that you are using a CAWI Certificate outside of the close supervision restrictions found in AWS QC-1!!!!!!!!

Joseph P. Kane
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-07-2009 18:08
Here are the most common reasons someone will have difficulty with the test.

#1: The test IS difficult. It is not supposed to be easy.

#2: People doubt and question the information given in the prep course.

#3: Poor test taking abilities.

#4: Not dedicated to study time. They give homework at the course. If you do not do it and spend your time at the beer joint after class, you may very well have problems with the test.

#5: Limited welding experience. Due to the wording AWS uses, one can qualify to take the test and never have welded a bead. This is a little exaggerated, but if you were the janitor in a welding shop for 5 years, you could probably word it in a way so as to qualify to take the test.

#6: The person thinks they already know it all. This is a big downfall. If you already know it all you don't need the course now do you.

#7: Not following all the footnotes and references to insure the correct answer.

#8: They do not pay attention in class. Maybe an extension of #6?

#9: They lack confidence in themselves.

Now if one answers themselves HONESTLY and falls into one or more of these, especially the big ones like #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, and #8 you most definitely will have problems on test day.

Now I know that Hobart has a 60% to 80% pass rate even with the test being more difficult than it used to be.

Just food for thought.

jrw159
Parent - - By Arctic 510 (**) Date 08-07-2009 22:13
The CWI prep course is just that, a prep course.  It should be mostly review for a qualified individual, not a two week shake and bake inspector course.  No one should ever be taking this course "cold".  Just my opinion though.
Parent - - By jeffww88 (*) Date 08-14-2009 04:31
I don't usually post on here but, I can't help responding to bad mouthing of Hobart.  We are allo entitled to our own opinion however, I took the Hobart course back in 02 and liked it so much that I have sent as many people as possible to it.  A very good friend of mine recently attended the course and had nothing but good things to say about the course (and he failed part B the first time).  Elmer, Nelson and Chuck were all very helpful to him when he returned to retake part B.  Thanks to them and his hard work, he easily passed part B the second time.  Based on my experience and the feedback I have received over the years, I would have to say that you were either not experienced enough for this test or did not put it the study time that the test requires.

JMO,

Jeff
Parent - - By Buser (*) Date 08-15-2009 01:26
The two week CWI prep class was the second trip to Hobart for me.  The first was the one week CWS prep.  Three days in, I felt the same way about the instructors.  I felt that we were covering subjects that didn't pertain to the test at hand.  I felt we were spending to much time on basic knowledge and not enough on the "important" stuff.  When i started answering questions on the exam, I realized Elmer and Nelson knew what they were doing.  The subject matter of the course was right on track to help prepare for the exam.

As far as the CWI, I already had faith in the school and Instructors so I simply did all the homework, (five to six hours a night) and paid attention to them when they said "This could be on the exam".  For the record, with 12 years as a welder, I had never even held a code book in my hand before I attended the class.  I passed with an 87%.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 08-16-2009 23:28
My wife and I went to HIWT this weekend and took the tour and Elmer showed us around. I thought the man was very informative and knowledgeable . I plan to take the CWI examination around April of next year at the HIWT and I plan to study the material that Elmer suggested ever day untill I take the test.
                MG
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-17-2009 02:57
Milt

I use Hobart training material to suppliment everything we do at the college.  Every process as well as Bluprint reading and Inspection..  Their materials are a super foundation, and without a solid foundation it is really impossible to become a servicable expert (which is what I think a CWI ought to be)

You won't be dissapointed if you follow their guidence.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-17-2009 14:53
Milton,
  You be sure to say hi to those guy's for me next time your there.

jrw159
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 08-17-2009 21:25
Will do.
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 08-19-2009 16:40
I've never been to Hobart but would go.  The CWI is a good hard test of knowledge.  I wouldn't recommend a one or two week preparation course as the main body of your study.  It should probably represent 20-30% of your test preparation study.

In a perfect world, a CWI candidate would have studied before hand and used the course as a brush-up prior to taking the test.  They should have a working knowledge of welding and inspection. 

I find it hard to blame the instructor for failing.  They're there to guide, fine tune, and help with your weaknesses.  The CWI candidate should pretty much "know" the information.

Good Luck,

Keith
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Passed CWI, thanks Hobart!