Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI exam Miami 9/26/2009
- - By Duckwilly Date 10-03-2009 14:38
I took the CWI exam in Miami 9/26/2009. My code for the exam was D1.2  I recieved an email this week indicating I made CWI.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

To all of you out there scheduled for the CWI exam the best advice I can give you is study,study,study! While I passed all three exams on the first try at least half of those in attendance were retesting.Also if you take the exam at AWS Headquarters in Miami avoid the "Deep Sea Double" fish sandwich sold at the 'Checkers' hamburger stand next door.AWS should investigate the recipe as I suspect the tensile strength of "filets" used to make the sandwich are suitable for structural applications. Not to mention the 180psi of flammable gas it has proven it can produce immediately after consumption.My apologies to fellow my fellow test takers and good luck to everyone else out there in queue to take theirs.

DuckWilly
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-05-2009 00:51
Congratulation!

Al
Parent - By ross (***) Date 10-05-2009 21:57
Congrats and kudos for surviving the Deep Sea Double. You are a strong man.

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - - By JM_VRCIC (*) Date 11-20-2009 14:12
Hi, I am wondering if anyone knows if the AWS/CWI exam is given in latin america. I wanna take the AWS QC 1.
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 11-20-2009 14:32
Why is is called Latin America, when the population doesn't speak Latin?
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-20-2009 18:48
That is a very astute observation Fran!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 11-21-2009 16:36
I hope this doesn't lead to us being called English America.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-22-2009 03:08
Since they don't speak Latin in Latin America, why would anyone speak English in English America?  Oh, they don't.  Soon the majority will speak Spanish in English America.  Maybe we should call it French America.  Then, we could speak English all we wanted.

Oh well.  Something tells me we're off topic a little. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By JM_VRCIC (*) Date 11-27-2009 02:12
I suppose that everyone tells you really often how clever you're. I don't know why it's called Latin America, but I wonder, why US citizens called US AMERICA when US is only a small part of a huge continent? So huge is US people egos??? Hope this answer your first question.
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 11-27-2009 06:28
US stands for United States; actually it's USA, United States of America. We are not people with ego's, we are just those whom are proud of our country! Your response did not answer my question, but I respect your posting.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-30-2009 19:15
shh just don't tell us american's that America is named after a spanish guy.  Perhaps it makes it more sense to call it English america then and just "america" for the rest where spanish is the language of choice.

and you can thank the french for the reason we call it latin ameria

"The main official languages in the region - Spanish, Portuguese (and French) are derived from Latin.

These languages developed from Latin after the fall of the Roman Empire and the Europeans are called Latin peoples. Hence the term 'Latin America.'

The term was coined in the 1860s when the French Emperor Napoleon III was trying to extend French imperial control over Mexico. He and his ministers used the term to try to suggest at least some degree of cultural similarity throughout the region and with France. "
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-30-2009 20:23
Hola Juan!

Here is a more detailed explanation to what Metarinka is alluding to when he boldly claims that the word America actually originated from the Spanish which is NOT as clear as one might think... In fact, it is actually as CLEAR AS MUD!!! :) :) :) Btw, Amerigho Vespucci was Italian... In fact! he was born in Florence in 1454 where he was baptized, according to the official record, "Amerigho," and NOT "Alberigho" as Carew asserts!  And just like Columbus sailed for the Country of Spain, although Amerigho did switch to sail for the Country of Portugal and was the one who first discovered what is now known as Modern day Brazil... He in fact also became the first European to discover the Rio de la Plata and further south to Patagonia which is now both Uruguay and Argentina.

Enjoy this perspective:

http://www.fammed.sunysb.edu/surgery/america.html

Here's another perspective:

http://www.osia.org/documents/The_Origin_of_America_Sando_Bologna.pdf

Then of course there's the Wiki explanation also which skimps on validation in comparison of the various theories regarding the true origin of the Word AMERICA! ;) So, here's their take on the word:

http://www.fammed.sunysb.edu/surgery/america.html

Well if doesn't clarify the origin of the word America as it relates to the naming of both North and South America as well as The United States of America, just remember that it was Amerigho who first distinguished that the shores he discovered were in fact not Asia, but instead a truly "New World" or Continent totally not associated with another place that was until then previously discovered, navigated, or mapped!!! The first Map was drawn by a German Cartographer named Martin Waldseemuller who drew it with the very first use of the word "Amerighe", or "Americus."  Then there is another debate that the word actually originated from the Nicaraguan tribe known as the "Amerrique."

Specifically, Marcou introduced the name of an Indian tribe and of a district in Nicaragua called Amerrique, and asserted that this district — rich in gold — had been visited by both Columbus and Vespucci, who then made this name known in Europe (see Marcou's map). For both explorers the words Amerrique and gold became synonymous. Subsequently, according to Marcou's account, Vespucci changed his Christian name from Alberico to Amerigo.

Carew cites Marcou to back his claim that "in the archives of Toledo, a letter from Vespucci to the Cardinal dated December 9, 1508, is signed Amerrigo with the double 'r' as in the Indian Amerrique … and between 1508 and 1512, the year in which Vespucci died, at least two other signatures with the Christian name Amerrigo were recorded." (See Marcou's 1875 article in the Atlantic Monthly and his more elaborate work published subsequently in the Annual Report of the Smithsonian Institution [1890].)

If you read the links in completely and not just glance through them, you should be able to come to your own conclusion as to which theory is closest to the truth!

Clear as mud eh? Yeah Right!!! :) :) :) Btw, I apologize for the hijack! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-30-2009 21:47
The more  you know.

History is one of those topics that is always hotly debated and is usually based on theories and conjecture rather than absolute facts.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-30-2009 22:13
That's why I consistently repeat the extent of it's clarity... Synonymous with slurry or MUD! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry 
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 11-20-2009 14:39
JM_VRCIC
Certified Welding Inspector Training and Examination opportunities in Latin America
http://www.ndt.sgs.com/certified-welding-inspector-training-and-examination-opportunities-in-latin-america.htm?viewId=10059746
Parent - By JM_VRCIC (*) Date 11-27-2009 02:14
Thanks! The only usefull answer! Thanks again!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI exam Miami 9/26/2009