Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.5 vertical groove root face WIDTH
- - By tacotuner Date 08-08-2003 11:40
Does any body know what the maximum WIDTH of a vertical groove root pass is in D1.5 ? In the code book all I can find is that the maximum THICKNESS of a vertical root pass is 6mm. I cant find any dimension for the width. Also are there any special provisions for the acceptability criteria of a SMAW root pass that will be followed by a FCAW multi pass weld ? Shall this root pass be subject to all the criteria of a final weld IE: no undercut, no wagon tracks, etc ? We are putting in a E7018 1/8 root followed by a FCAW 280 amp filler pass in a vertical groove of 40 mm effective throat.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-08-2003 12:11
http://aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?id=4024
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 08-08-2003 20:51
John, Tacotuner had emailed me earlier and asked if I know how to get in touch with someone who might know a bit more than I was able to provide in the post you linked to. I suggested going back to this forum and asking again, so that is probably why this looks like a duplicate post.

Tacotuner, if I have this right (I'm not at the same computer as I was earlier) you were hoping someone could provide insight into bead width restrictions, the whys and wherefors? You had said that your welders were getting carried away with the 7018 root pass which was being done to prevent cracking problems with FCAW roots? Possibly, you might want to elaborate a bit so people like Niekie or Prof. Crisi might understand what you are looking for. They might be able to add some insight.

Chet Guilford
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-12-2003 18:24
Hi Chet,
I thought about how it must have looked to see the link I posted and thought maybe I'd better explain why I did that.
I posted the link to help him see that you had already posted a reply on the other board to this very question. At the time I posted the link, I thought that, he may have thought, his question didn't recieve any attention over on the other board and he simply tried again on this one(so here I am not knowing you two had already discussed all of this).
I hope my posting the link didn't cause any bad reactions. I was trying to help and actually I got in the way, Sorry.
John Wright
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 08-12-2003 20:07
No harm done that I know of. Tacotuner?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.5 vertical groove root face WIDTH