Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / "New" New CWI Stamps
- - By Golden Arm (*) Date 10-14-2009 12:04
Seems the Certification Committee has met again and rethought the CWI Stamp. It would appear there must have been a significant number of CWI's who (though supposed were intelligent enough) couldn't properly operate the ill designed folding stamp. It has been replaced with a much more robust two piece stamp that can easily be re-inked from the back side of the stamp. My compaƱero and I were cussing (mostly me) and discussing the pros and cons of the two stamps when John (not his real name) mentioned that with the inclusion now of the expiration date on the stamp a CWI will be forced to buy a new stamp every three years. I thought about this and realized he is right. No longer can you decline a new stamp when renewing and save $30 (in yester-year dollars). Now for a question: Will AWS be recalling the ill designed folding stamps and issue one of the "new" new CWI stamps? And for those of you that are curious....... I stained my fingers opening my stamp to make the photo.
Attachment: NewvsNewNew.JPG (143k)
Parent - By Duke (***) Date 10-14-2009 12:41
I like the folding one
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 10-14-2009 13:38
I like the folder too!
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 10-14-2009 13:59
Maybe I am behind in things but where does it say my stamp must have a date on it? Isn't that the reason for the AWS site having the free verification. Isn't the fee for the stamp an option on the form? AWS doesn't make the stamp and they don't require it to be purchased from a certain vendor. Or that is what I thought I picked up.
I have been wrong before.
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 10-14-2009 16:02 Edited 10-14-2009 16:11
Nickels and dimes add up.  I wonder how many members pay for all, part, or none of the costs of membership.  I wouldn't mind so much if at least the AWS could notify me when it's time for me to renew, especially of the nine-year test.  They sent me a notice that I was required to test a month after they were in my town! I know it's my fault (I'd be a CPA if I were organized).

Couldn't they have the expatriation dates be your birthday? Or maybe send a notice one year in advance? Or three months before they're coming to your area within the year you're expiring? How about sending an email.

I've stopped stamping documents.  I include my CWI number.  My old stamp didn't have the date, but they changed my number.  I've thought about removing the date on the new stamp, but decided against it.

Good Luck,

Keith
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-14-2009 18:41
Here is a link that may help.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=156789;hl=CWI%20stamp

There is also a link in that thread to another interesting thread.

In short, all new AWS CWI stamps must have the expiration date included.

jrw159 :-)
Parent - - By Duckwilly Date 10-18-2009 19:44

I just received my stamp.After all the stress of studying and the CWI exam in Miami I am thrilled to have it. As a matter of fact, an AWS approved sharpie marker would have been good enough for me!

Have a good weekend peeps...whats left of it.

DuckWilly
Parent - - By north_fl_cwi (*) Date 10-21-2009 20:00
Is it printed anywhere in the text that I must use the new stamp?  Just like everyone else, I received the new stamp, but 99.9% of the time, I still use my black round stamp with black ink.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-22-2009 13:59
north_fl_cwi,
   I was informed by AWS that there is nothing stating that you must use the new stamp. Just that any new stamp made must have the expiration date.

jrw159
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 11-08-2009 03:50
I just got my new stamp as well with the experation date.  It is a nice looking unit and easy to use.

Question though, the experation date.

Has anyone run into a situation where another organization or company reviewing these stamped documents has rejected them because they will be after the experation date on the stamp??

Or to say it another way, for example if my experation date is 11/8/09 and I sent my welders certs for review on 12/1/09, even though I may have sent the check to cover my re-certification, they won't know that.  Will other people be mis-intrepreting the experation date be, or have been a problem??

Just a thought  Chris
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-08-2009 04:16
A little forethought will ensure that problem doesn't arise.

I received the new stamp a couple of weeks ago and prefer it over the older style. I've used it several times without inking myself more than the paperwork.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By UCSB (**) Date 12-03-2009 02:01
Just received a new stamp with my recert--- my old is 24 years old--- nothing wrong with it, still works good.
I did noticed that I was shorted 2 months on my cert though. My cert expired in Dec. 2009 and now will expire in Oct. 2012
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / "New" New CWI Stamps