Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / CWB
- - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-28-2009 23:24
So yesterday about 10:00 am I was informed that I would be taking the CWB exams (reciprication for AWS CWI) at 8:00 am today. I did not have access to the code books, only some cheap study guides that did not even pertain to the tests that I would be taking.

jrw159
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 10-29-2009 00:40
How did that work out, John?
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-29-2009 01:03
I passed. I would have done MUCH better with jut a little bit of proper prep time. The guy that administered the test found out about my prep time and access to code and said that, in consideration, I did VERY well. I beleive that if I would have had access to the code books for just a few hours I could have come close to a 100% on both tests.

I almost aced one test and passed with a pretty good score on the other.

(My horn) TOOT TOOT!!

jrw159
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 10-29-2009 01:22
Congrats jrw159.  But would that be the same CWB we test for north of the border?
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-29-2009 01:38
Thanks. Only part of it. I am an AWS CWI so I was only required to take the two open book portions as required per the reciprication.

jrw159
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 10-29-2009 02:35
Does that mean you're coming up here for a job or is there something down your way?
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-29-2009 02:51
LOL, I am not going up there as a plan, but I will if the money is right. As for down here I am on a need to know basis and evidently.... I do not need to know. Hell I did not even know I was testing until yesterday. There was unofficial talk of it previously but nothing was set in stone.

I am not fuking this snake, I am just holding the head. :-)

Needless to say I have it.

Let me know if there might be something for me up there.

jrw159
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 10-29-2009 15:12
This must be something new.  They didn't require me to test back in 2006.
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 10-29-2009 02:45
I honestly expected nothing less! CONGRATS!
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-29-2009 02:54
Thanks buddy, I did not know what to expect. When I was done with the second test I thought I had BOMBED it(just nerves). Good thing is you get your results right there, no 4 to 6 week waiting period. LOL
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 10-29-2009 03:03
Ya John, I found something,don't know if you'd come up here but if your curious. Bob
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-29-2009 03:07
PM me with details.
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 10-29-2009 17:09
Congrats Dude!  I like that short waiting period for the results!
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-29-2009 03:12
BTW>...... THANK YOU HENRY for the links and info.

jrw159 :-)
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 10-29-2009 04:20
I tell you, that Henry is a solid hand.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-29-2009 17:37
Thank you Rick! Friggin Yankees lost pretty bad last night!!!! Errgggghhhhh!!!!! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-29-2009 16:42
You're certainly "Weldcome" there John!!! ;) :) :) Once again Congratulations on passing them both without even knowing what the books were going to contain at all!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-29-2009 16:54
Congrats John.  Put it to good use. 

That Henry is sure a valuable asset around here.  More info than my computer.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 10-29-2009 19:13
Heck Brent I use him to fill my Computer, LoL
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-29-2009 17:39
John,  hope you don't mind a slight hijack to your thread here.  Don't think you will or you know I wouldn't do it.

Henry, I hope you check back into this thread and read this.

I know it has been said before but you really do deserve a lot of thanks.  There are others as well here who are very helpful but at the moment I want to thank you again for all the great info and the time you spend being so helpful to people on this forum who have questions they need answers to. 

The years and experience coupled with the education/knowledge that you have really shows.  Put that together with a good teachers spirit and a person cannot help but learn from reading your posts.  Even if you don't 'know' the answer you know where to find the answer.

I can 'Google' over and over and not find what I need.  Check through code books and other resources, not there.  Then along comes Henry.  'Look here', post up several sources, and there it is.  You may be able to find it because of all the great background you have, but the time you spend posting it up is inspiring as well.

Because of how far along I am in my career, I don't have time to develope all the resources you have attained.  But your example here should inspire many of us to want to do all we can to first, learn more, and, second, share that knowledge with others.  With the limited resources I have, I hope only to be a help whenever I can.  And you, sir, inspire me to continue to learn and share.

Thanks for the space, John.  Thanks for sharing Henry. (We may not have seen how you helped John here, but it is obvious in other places.)

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-29-2009 18:18
LOL, Not a problem Brent. I will add one more thing along with your comments. He is a typing sun of a gun. The posts he provides us with would take you and I combined a week and three hammers to get typed up. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-03-2009 23:16
OK I have an update. As a result of this being dumped on me with no notice and no chance to look into what I was doing I am not getting the CWB level II inspector cert yet. The tests I took were for the CWB welding supervisor. I achieved that. The company was unaware that as of March 2009 the CWB level II inspector did not come with it (It has definatly been a learning experience for me). Anyways, this is how it works for just the CWB level II visual inspector.

#1. $380.00 plus tax.
#2. Must be an AWS CWI for at least 2 years.
#3. Fill out the application form.
#4. Provide a copy of AWS cert. and card.
#5. Vision test, jeager 1.
#6. 15 question multiple choice 30 minute timed open book test on W178.2 standard.

I will be doing this when they come back in 6 months for our next audit and shop inspection.

It kind of pisses me off how this went down but at least I will have some time to get aquainted with W178.2. LOL.

So I am sorry for misleading everyone (including myself) into thinking I am a CWB level II inspector when I am only a CWB welding supervisor, but in 6 months I will be. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 11-04-2009 05:38
Welcome to the wonderful world of the CWB John. As a certified pipe welder I still need certs to weld on structural steel and the CWB takes a lot of pride in failing us guys. First time I tested for them I was told by the inspector that morning "that 60% of you pipe welders fail this test". Hmm, thats the kind of thing I like to hear before a $450 test. So after the coupons bend and pass, you now have a 2 year cert that must be "activated" within 90 days at a CWB recognized shop or else the cert is void and you re-test. We always joke about CWB must stand for "can weld brackets" or " can weld beam". But again, congrats on the CWB welding supervisor status. Bob.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-04-2009 12:05
Thanks Bob. It has sure been an learning experience. LOL

jrw159
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / CWB