Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI endorsement cards/certifications-I want to add API 1104
- - By rfieldbuilds (**) Date 11-15-2009 02:49
Can anyone on the forum shed some light on what it is the AWS offers to those who choose to add endorsements to their existing CWI. I tested to D1.1-06. Passed. Fine.
Now I am interested in deepening my knowledge and I would like to add an API 1104 endorsement to my certifications . And yes AL, before you post your opinion stating that a certification is just the beginning of understanding the knowledge necessary to intrepret a code, I agree time and experience are better than certifications. If anyone can share, does the AWS issues a card showing endorsements or lists this on the certification. I am aware my current card lists me as a CWI w/o any reference to code tested on. Also, are there any references anyone can offer for practice tests on 1104, study guides or websites offering info on general knowledge of 1104.
Warm Regards,
Randy
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-15-2009 04:07
AWS has a study guide for API 1104 that is intended for homestudy.It is the same one used for the CWI review/preparation seminars.

The endorsements are listed on a separate card issued by AWS.

You can take the endorsement any time or any place offering the CWI examinations. Contact the Certification Department and tell them you want to take the API 1104 examination for the endorsement. They should be able to take it from there.

Good luck. Don't forget, any of the endorsement examinations are accepted toward the 9 year renewal.

Bewt regards - Al
Parent - - By rfieldbuilds (**) Date 11-15-2009 15:42
Thanks Al, Good information... Now for the bolting endorsement. HAHAAHHAHAHAHAAA
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-15-2009 19:50 Edited 11-15-2009 19:57
Randy, if you are looking for information on the AWS Bolting study, exam, and endorsement,  go down the forum listings to the 'Structural Bolting' section.  There is a thread there, I'll get the name, should know it since I started it but I don't,  that some of the guys and I have been compiling all needed info and resources.  Should answer about any question you have.

Also, you will need to get your request in early as when you first tested for CWI.  Then they will send you a packet, just as before, with all the info you need and put you on the list so there are test materials and space for you at the testing site you go to for whatever test you desire to take.  Just taking the endorsement exams, you could probably work in two or three of them in the course of the day of exams since the first timers are taking three sections of tests.  You might want to ask about that though.

Have a Great Day,  Brent

EDIT: 'AWS Bolting Exam Endorsement'
Parent - - By rfieldbuilds (**) Date 11-16-2009 02:47
Thanks Brent,
Yes, the other thread is what got me going on this. AWS website lists bolting endorsement, but doesn't list qualifications, or coures info. I have an emailin the certification director. I'll post what I find.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-16-2009 20:07
Randy,

There aren't really much for qualifications.  Except, as noted in bolting thread, you need to have your CWI to get the endorsement.  This is true of any 'Endorsement'.  You can take the test without being a CWI, but all you will get is a certificate of successful completion.  Does not in itself qualify you to 'inspect' bolting.  There is no 'course' through AWS.  Just the exam.  But, there is a course through another company that the other thread names the web address for more information.  The materials are through AISC, the 13th ed of The Steel Construction Manual.  It has all the parts in it that the AWS web site names separately: RCSC, LRFD, etc.  Just go through anything related to 'Bolting' in the Manual.

I believe I even give details on how to find the info on the AWS site.  It is there.  Look under 'Certifications', 'CWI Endorsements', and the Bolting Package I believe.  I had to click through lots of things to find everything.  Even go down through the application form.  Look at everything.  Will help explain some of the other parts: price, when, where, etc.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 11-17-2009 13:13
Does the endorsement card list the original code test taken also?
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 11-17-2009 13:47
Duke
Q: How will endorsements be noted?

A: Endorsements will only be listed on a card that is separate from the inspector’s CWI/SCWI card. It will only list the supplemental inspection exams that the individual passed to attain the endorsement(s). If an individual does not want such a card, none will be provided. A certificate for successfully passing the examination will also be issued.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-18-2009 04:36
My endorsement card includes my original examination as well as the subsequent endorsements.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 11-17-2009 15:55
Be Aware

Not all endorsements count 100% toward 9 year re-certification.  Bolting is only 20%.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-18-2009 04:34
Joe;

Where can these inspectors go to find out how the different endorsements count toward the 9 year renewal? I was under the impression they all counted toward the nine year renewal.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 11-17-2009 14:10
Randy
http://www.aws.org/certification/endorsement/
During the past few months, there has been much discussion about the purpose and function of supplemental inspection credentials, also known as “endorsements.” The AWS Certification Committee has always held and continues to hold the CWI as the internationally recognized best program for certification of welding inspection personnel. The CWI is considered able to inspect welds to any industry standard or code regardless of which open book code exam was used, provided the CWI is deemed capable and qualified by the employer or contracting parties to inspect to the requirements of the specific standard used for the job.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI endorsement cards/certifications-I want to add API 1104