Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Wanting to take CWI
- - By raptor34 (**) Date 12-03-2009 03:55
I am wanting to take my CWI next year and was wanting to know of any study material I need to look at before I go to the class. I will be doing it to 1104.
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 12-03-2009 13:56
Do a search on here for study material.  There have been a lot of posts on CWI prep. 
Parent - - By Inspector001 Date 01-15-2010 22:00
Who are you taking the class with? I can recommend an organization that will send you study guide material and pre tests several months before you take the test.
Parent - - By travishttn (*) Date 02-08-2010 06:46
I am currently taking inspection class in film interpretation weldments and welding metallurgy. I do plan on taking my CWI once I am done with the inspection classes. I do have some questions and tell me if my answers is wrong and its wrong correct me and explain why if you don't mind.

A Photographic record produced by the passage of x-rays or gamma rays through a specimen to expose a film is called? (radiograph? or x-ray picture)

The degree of darkness on the film is called? (film density)

The Thickes section of any specimen being radiographed will absorb more? or Less? of the radiation than the thinner sections. (Less)

After film has been exposed by radiation and then processed, the area of the film receiving the most radiation will be the lightest? or darkest? ( darkest )

On a radiograph, the thinnest section of a specimen appears darker? or lighter? than the thickest area. (darker)

which factors will have the greatest influence on the image density of a radiograph? (type of film used)

After film has been exposed by radiation and then developed, the area of the film receiving the least radiation is? (darkest)

A small localized area on a radiograph that has a higher density than the surrounding area would be called? ( discontinuity) or (defect) not sure

The radiographic indication of a tungsten inclusion appears very light on the radiograph because? (Both A & C)
a. Tungsten absorbs less radiation than the surrounding area
b. The tungsten inclusion is usually very small
c. It is a subsurface discontinuity
d. Both A & C
e. None of the above
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-08-2010 12:17
A Photographic record produced by the passage of x-rays or gamma rays through a specimen to expose a film is called? X-ray or radiograph.

The degree of darkness on the film is called? (film density/H&D curve)

The Thickest section of any specimen being radiographed will absorb more? or Less? of the radiation than the thinner sections. (more)

After film has been exposed by radiation and then processed, the area of the film receiving the most radiation will be the lightest? or darkest? ( darkest )

On a radiograph, the thinnest section of a specimen appears darker? or lighter? than the thickest area. (darker)

which factors will have the greatest influence on the image density of a radiograph? (type of film used/material being radiographed)

After film has been exposed by radiation and then developed, the area of the film receiving the least radiation is? (lighter)

A small localized area on a radiograph that has a higher density than the surrounding area would be called? discontinuity

The radiographic indication of a tungsten inclusion appears very light on the radiograph because? A.
a. Tungsten absorbs less radiation than the surrounding area
b. The tungsten inclusion is usually very small
c. It is a subsurface discontinuity
d. Both A & C
e. None of the above
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-08-2010 14:39
Hey CW, maybe I am crazy, but wouldn't the Tungsten "stop" the radiation from passing through the test piece thereby producing a lighter image on the film? That being true, wouldn't the Tungsten be considered to "absorb" more radiation in comparison to the surrounding base metal? Isn't that why Tungsten is used as a collimator when "directing" the radiation from an isotope toward the test piece to limit radiation exposure to surrounding areas?

As for the film that is the record of the test results, I always thought it was called a radiograph. I thought X-ray was the process when a X-ray tube was the source of radiation.

I've been wrong before.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-08-2010 17:23
Al,

Half value layer for Ir192/Ti is .13" and .31" for Co60. Thats why it's used as a collimator.
As for the word "absorb" that wrong to begin with. Attenuate would be a more correct word.
The entire question is bogus in my opinion with only none of the above coming close.
I answered A to address the absorb vs attenuate question. As for "the surrounding area" What is that surrounding area? Are we talking about 2" of iconel?

All the way around it's a bogus question.

The Ti shows up light due to a higher attenuation/less transmitted ionizing radiation to the film.

As for xray vs radiograph, Most welders refer to it as x-ray. I was trying to tie the two together.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-09-2010 00:00
My answer is e, none of the above
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 02-09-2010 01:42
E too
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-09-2010 15:05 Edited 02-10-2010 14:22
Back again. I did some checking to make sure my terminology was proper.

This fellow is taking an RI class where terminology is an important element of the body of knowledge he is expected to know. I understand his concern with the use of the right terminology.

As for the words "radiograph versus X-ray,” the ASNT handbook on radiography uses the word "radiograph" and defines it as: "A radiograph is a photographic record produced by the passage of X-rays or gamma rays through an object onto a film.”

In the same reference the following materials are listed as materials of construction for collimators: depleted uranium (some radioactivity), lead (too soft and easily damaged), tungsten alloy (difficult to machine), and tantalum (high cost). They are materials that will shield unwanted radiation and absorb scattered radiation.

I checked a couple of resources; one was a book on the subject of NDT by Chuck Hellier who is respected by many in the world of NDT as an expert on the subject. He uses the word "absorption" and describes four means of absorption. In the same paragraph he uses the word attenuate.

In the same reference the following materials are listed as materials of construction for collimators: depleted uranium, lead (too soft and easily damaged), tungsten alloy, and tantalum. They are materials that will absorb scattered radiation.

Section 5 of the handbook has a chapter on "Radiation Absorption". Attenuation is used to describe the rate at which absorption occurs. Interesting play on words. The bottom line is I believe the process is absorption, but attenuation can be used to describe the amount or rate of absorption for a specific material or process. Just to quote one paragraph: A is the atomic weight of the absorption material, and p is the density of the material. Then they go on to define the variables of an equation using terms such as "atomic attenuation coefficient, mass attenuation coefficient, and linear attenuation coefficient.” They go on to say the total attenuation coefficient is the sum of three listed. (Taken from "Absorption of Photons,” Section 5, Radiation Absorption)

The questions we were asked to respond to were not precise; they may have been summaries of the original questions. I think the nature of the subject and the question was presented.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-10-2010 11:11
"The go on to say the total attenuation coefficient is the sum of three listed."
Maybe I am getting into the bug dust a bit much, but that sentence tells me it would be more proper to use attenuation.
I have the same book, and several others, but if the persons writing the RI examination are going from the absorbtion definition, then that's what he needs to use, even if it's not technically correct.

As for xray vs radiograph, again, I was trying to tie them together. I've had numerous pipe hands want to argue that I didn't know what I was doing because I used the word "radiograph". To this day, the use of the term "xray welder" is prevalent albiet totally wrong.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 02-09-2010 17:11
Most welders call it "X-ray", and I do too, but we're incorrect; almost all the radiographs I see are not x-ray images.

Hg
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-10-2010 14:24
Been there before.

Incomplete fusion or lack of fusion. Depends on what welding standard is being use.

Do we try to "upgade" the terminology or do we let it slide and keep them in the dark?

Best regards - Al
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 02-10-2010 15:39
Where the difference comes up is that rare occasion where they actually are using x-rays, and all of a sudden my world includes both x-ray and non-x-ray radiographs (within a single project, no less), and I have no choice but to be accurate.  That taught me to (mostly) stop being lazy about the extra syllables in "radiograph".  (Saying "film" helps with the syllable count...)

I haven't yet been completely broken of using "MIG" to refer to GMAW with CO2 or mixed gas shielding.  I suppose if I heard more people around me saying "GMAW" out loud I could come around on it.

Hg
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 02-10-2010 18:11
You are correct.....
When I hear people refer to it aS x-RAY'S....i REALLY LAUGH - How incompetent can people be????

Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 02-10-2010 18:24 Edited 02-10-2010 19:35
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-10-2010 19:36
Did you get a hold of some really good Cuban rum now??? :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 02-10-2010 19:41
How did you know?

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-10-2010 19:49 Edited 02-10-2010 19:51
I'm Psychic DUDE!!! :) :) :)

Or should I say; I have "Cyber-X-RAY vision!!! :) :) :)"

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 02-10-2010 19:50
Don't have time to play tonight....
Good night Henry.

Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-10-2010 19:53
Good night Kid!!! :) :) :)
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 02-10-2010 19:35
There's a large amount of X-ray in the pipeline field, especially on the crawlers.
Regardless of how the shot is actually made, the term X-ray is commonly used, again in the mainline construction field, by people who are aware of the different sources.
Just like when the top fueler shells out an engine, it's commonly refered to as "the motor blew up". Even tho the people using the term realize the car is powered by an internal combustion engine.

JTMcC.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 02-10-2010 20:30
Not incompetent, just verbally lazy.

Hg
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 02-10-2010 23:40
Raptor

In the last Certification Committee meeting, (28 January 2010) the "Sense of the Committee" vote was to eliminate the API 1104 Exam for initial certification.  The QC-1 Subcommittee will probably agree to this at their next meeting.  API 1104 Examinations will still be given for "Endorsements". My hope is that this limitation will be in effect in August!

You may want to plan accordingly.

Joe Kane
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-11-2010 14:40
Thanks very much for that heads up Joseph.

I know people planning on those tests.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Brennan Date 02-16-2010 16:55
What happens to all the inspectors who previously certified with the API 1104 test once it becomes just an endorsement? Will we no longer be certified as inspectors? Will we have to retest in a different code to re-certify as a CWI?
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 02-17-2010 20:30
Brennan

As a Certified Welding Inspector, you are not certified to any one code.  In fact, you are not certified to any code at all.  The code test just shows that you are able to read and inspect to "a" code.  Nothing changes for anyone who is already an inspector.  Those new candidates who want to take the API 1104 in their CWI exam, because they will have an easy code test will be out of luck.

So if you are already an inspector, nothing changes.

Joe Kane
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Wanting to take CWI