Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / It's been awhile since I've had my butt handed to me.
- - By tim shaw Date 12-24-2009 16:15 Edited 12-24-2009 18:54
Location of incident....Tulsa, Okla. SCWI Exam. Date of violation...Oct. 2009.Test score...62%. Preparation...flipped through some of them books. Background...30 years manager/inspector/welder AWS D1.1, D1.5. CWI....1986 vintage.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Hah, Hah! It's funny now, but it wasn't then. I remember checking in as the only SCWI applicant out of sixty something inspectors. The administrators greeted me with some strange kinda smiles as one asked, "how ya doing today?" Well to be honest, I had a real bad feeling about this test. Now I hadn't ever failed any kind of exam since high school, but this one had me torn. The reference material covered so much that anyone could've easily written 2,000 questions from it...let alone 200. This is where "flipping through some of them books" comes in. So many possibilities for potential questions, there's just no way to retain that much info. So you flip and read and become overwhelmed with info and retain very little new knowledge....major mistake! Now I'd never met a SCWI or anyone who had attempted to become one. So on my own, all I could do was focus on what's the difference between a SCWI and a CWI. Turns out that logic got me pretty far in the right direction...just not far enough.

Disappointed but vowing to return, my plane landed in Reno on Dec. 12th. for round two. I kinda felt like that old wise hound with one bad eye and a crippled leg, but still able to run down anything in the woods. So I greeted the adminstrators with a strange kinda smile, and promptly tore through that test as if I were reading yesterday's news.

My thoughts....Wow!! What a test. Good to see AWS raising the bar.

Morale of the story...take it twice or take a study course. Better yet...know a SCWI.LOL!!!

Btw, Merry Christmas!!!
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 12-24-2009 16:23
tim shaw
Welcome to the forum
Good Luck on the attempt
Marshall
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-24-2009 17:46
Tim, Welcome to the Forum. 

Sounds like you felt much more comfortable with the second go around.  Best wishes.  Hope you passed.  What reasons did you have for looking for the higher certification?

Merry Christmas.  Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By tim shaw Date 12-24-2009 18:23 Edited 12-24-2009 18:51
Oops, Left out the most important part of the story! Yes, I did pass!!! YeeHaw!!!!

On reasons why I became a SCWI....I've been out of inspection and running two different shops for the past 18 years. Regretfully, I let my CWI lapse in it's 15th year. So I decided to re-cert. as a senior mainly cause I'm sick of running other peoples businesses and parking my truck in the same spot everyday. Just wanna hit the road for a few years. I figured if I'm gonna get back into inspection, might as well go all out. Hopefully I'll need it out there. 
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-24-2009 20:23
Congrats!!!!  Hope it all works out for you.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 12-28-2009 11:29
So Tim,  w/out giving away specific questions  what would you say are the two big differeances between the SCWI and the regular CWI test?  Do you still have to take the practical portion? 
Congrats for passing  Chris
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / It's been awhile since I've had my butt handed to me.