Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / cwi study materials
- - By kkfabricator (**) Date 12-30-2009 01:29
I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to which books are the most important for self study for the cwi exam. I have looked at and priced all of the materials this site suggests, and since I am buying them myself I was hoping to cut costs a little bit. any help will be appreciated
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 12-30-2009 07:55
kkfab,
I would suggest the "AWS 3.0 Standard Terms and Definitions" and "AWS 2.4 standard Symbols for Welding, Brazing, and Nondestructive Examination" to be the most important resources (this IS an AWS test, so ya better know THEIR terminology!). Anything in 3.0 and 2.4 that is unclear or unfamiliar should be researched for clarity and familiarity. Even then, test questions can come from any source that is listed in the recommended reading and body of knowledge.
Flashbutt Welding (API 1104) or Electroslag (I wouldn't know one of these machines if I leaned on one and burnt my hand!) might well be in a test question, as WILL somethings from ASME BPV Code...

Hopefully you could get a hold of some older "sample tests" along with the current ones offered. I had several and know that helped me immensely the first time I took the Exam.
I think the ultimate way, would be to take the seminar but, schedule the test later down the road. Then you would have all the basic study guides/materials and know what to expect, plus have time to study and be well prepared on test day.

Be dilligent in your studies and best of luck to you.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 12-30-2009 12:11
KKfab,
  If you have not already, get the $80 membership. This will pay for itself and then some when purchasing code books and such.

jrw159
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-02-2010 04:11 Edited 01-02-2010 04:19
And just to add on the excellent suggestion from jrw159... If you go to your section meeting for your region and contact the person responsible for the library, or the section, or certification chairperson, you could purchase the AWS code books as well as other reference books also... By going that route, you can purchase the study material at a substantial discount, and your section representatives will also steer you in the right direction with which books to purchase, so that every topic covered in the CWI/CWE body of knowledge will be taken into account for you to study further as well as suggestions that will be helpful in preparing yourself for the exam...

Also, most sections do hold meetings, and workshops that specifically cover preparation for the CWI exam which is something to consider as well since they are very good in giving you a better perspective of what you need to prepare yourself for prior to taking the exam, and take as much time to prepare yourself before you take the exam...

I mean, take at least a minimum of six months to a year if necessary to study because if you don't, you will be overwhelmed and almost certainly fail the first time especially if you are not aware of all of the topics covered in the body of knowledge, or have given yourself enough time to study the code your are going to take for the open book portion of the exam, or have given yourself enough practice time with measuring discontinuities, or defects by using the various visual inspection tools as well as reviewing high school math and studying the part B practical exam portion of the exam also...

So, take your time and seek guidance from your local AWS section folks, and ask them for help, and do not take the exam unless you sure that you are really ready for it by finding out as much as you can what you need to prepare yourself for it and giving yourself enough time to prepare for it!!! :) :) :)

Finally, Don't be afraid to ask as many questions you can come up with because, the folks at your local section as well as the many excellent folks in here will give you some good suggestions and if you use the search function in the forum, you can find many, many threads covering a multitude of queries regarding the CWI exam and how to prepare one self for achieving the best possible outcome which of course is to PASS!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-03-2010 23:39
KK,

Superflux, John, and Henry have all made some good points.

My own observations:  Buy even the books you will get handed to you at the seminar and study them in advance.  Go through the 3.0 and 2.4 as Super recommended.  Don't try to memorize but be very familiar with terms and symbols.

For most study, The WIT book, D1.1 or which ever code you are testing to, and I believe it is called the Welding Procedure Handbook. 

There are others that helped me as well, but mostly, they get to be very repetitive.  If you know your way around the above, you will do pretty well if you have the experience to back it up.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / cwi study materials