Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Happy New Year
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-31-2009 05:09
Hello Everyone;

Another year has come and is (almost) gone.

I did not get a chance to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, but I want to make sure I did wish everyone of you a Happy New Year. The Christmas cards I bought are still in their cartons. I went on the road and never got to address them and send them out. They will have to keep until next year.

I hope each of you had a good year in 2009 and if not, I hope 2010 brings you good health and prosperity.

I just finished some interesting work this week. I was inspecting a couple of the largest forging presses located in the Western Hemisphere. Just to give you an idea of the size of one of the machines; the tie rods are nearly 110 feet long (no, that isn't a typo error) by roughly 40 inches square and there are about 6 of them for the one machine. It is huge!

For those of you that are looking for work, I hope you are successful in finding something. My only advice is to diversify and learn more about your chosen profession. Darwin is alive and well. Make sure you are amongst the strong by learning all you can about your area of interest and associated processes.

As a welder, I found stepping up to the challenge of taking the CWI and the SCWI to an adventure that is still unfolding. The information I studied in preparation for the examinations was put to good use as a welder. I made the move from welding to inspection when the opportunity presented itself. Then it was a matter of learning what I could about NDT.

"Welding and NDT,” as Chuck Hellier told me, "go together like hot fudge and ice cream."

OK, those are my words, but that was the sentiment he expressed when he first invited me to sit in on some of his NDT classes. It was great advice that has served me well. I can only offer the same advice to any welder that is interested in advancing his or her career. Welding and NDT are complimentary subjects. A good welder with an understanding of NDT and maybe a couple of NDT certs to compliment the CWI credential is a very valuable individual whether he or she works for a large company or is self-employed. The training and credentials gives you the ability to work in a variety of positions. I have worked as a welder, then as an inspector, and then as a welder again as the opportunities arose.

I approach business the same way. I try not to put all my eggs in one basket. I diversify, i.e., I do not depend on one industrial sector for my business. I work with aerospace, pressure vessels, pressure piping, shipbuilding, structural steel, and even dirty, greasy, grimy forging presses. Never say no to a new job that will broaden your knowledge. 

The bottom line is that it may not be enough to be the best at one thing in these trying economic times. Diversify. Read. Read about anything that can help you in your core profession. Most of us are welders or we were welders. There are classes offered at local colleges that can help you become more proficient. There are courses on basic electricity and electronics (nice to know so you can better trouble shoot your equipment), computer aided design, geometry (good to know to become better at laying out steel), as I mentioned already; NDT such as magnetic particle and penetrant testing. For the adventurous there is ultrasonic testing (not for the faint of heart when it comes to mathematics). When the economy picks up (there are signs that it is already starting to turn) you will be too busy to study new subjects. If you are not working, you have some free time, now is the time to pursue additional venues. 

Enough words of encouragement.

Once again, I wish everyone a Happy New Year.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 12-31-2009 10:06 Edited 12-31-2009 10:18
Al(bert) - you know what I mean? ;-)

Allow me to be the first one to reply your well wishes by saying that all you wrote has deeply touched me!

As you have addressed your words to 'everyone' I permit myself to be meant as well and therefore I'd like to shout a heartfelt "Thanks - God bless you!" across the pond!

I wish you and yours all the very best for the New Year 2010.

Stephan

EDIT: I almost forgot. Also a HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of the other AWS forum fellow members!
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 12-31-2009 12:49
Hello 803056
Al
As Stephen said Thank You, God Bless, and Hope the year is Better for All.
Marshall
Parent - - By bigrod (**) Date 12-31-2009 19:23
Same back to everyone, and thanks for the encouragement Al!  I hope everyone has a better year in 2010 than what we've had in 2009.

good luck to everyone!
Jeremy

Oh and no DUI's tonight!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-31-2009 21:14
Yipee! I finished my federal tax returns! No, not for 2009, I just finished my 2007, but I had a good sized refund coming back! Now if I can get my 2008 done, I'll be ready to start my 2009. It would be a milestone to get them in on time for a change! :)

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By dongrahamjr Date 01-01-2010 17:17
happy new year AL
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-02-2010 04:25
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!! :) :) :) Thanks for your wisdom Al! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By windows Date 01-02-2010 04:28
Happy New Year !!!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-04-2010 17:03
Happy New Year to you also Al.

....and to everyone else here in our forum reading this,... "Happy New Year"  ....to you as well.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-04-2010 17:42
Hey Lawrence, congratulations on becoming a five star general (as our friend John Wright said to me)!

Beswt regrds - Al
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 01-04-2010 19:40
Happy New Years everybody and thanks for everyones help.

M.G.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 01-04-2010 20:21
Chuck Hellier a great guy... i could not belive that after 2 or 3 years he remembered me and the place i worked for at the time.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-05-2010 03:47
Chuck is still at it!

I have to contact him to retest for my Level III certs for TP271.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Happy New Year