Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / anyone know anything about this?
- - By kkfabricator (**) Date 01-03-2010 15:50 Edited 01-03-2010 15:52
just wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

http://www.weldacademy.com/index.htm
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-03-2010 16:37
Interesting.

Have you ever taken a "home-study" course? You have to have a lot of self-discipline to complete those courses. It very easy to get distracted while studying at home. That is the main advantage of going somewhere to take a class; there are fewer distractions vying for your time and attention.

Best regards -Al
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-03-2010 18:31
I agree it is interesting. First I have heard of it. From what I see on the site it is geared more toward companies than individuals.
For someone needing more background before taking the CWI there is a benifit. However, if you have the discipline to take this for 40 hours, then getting the study material and spending 40 hours on that would in the end cost you less than the on line weld academy and the prep-class/self study.
I am a firm believer if one takes the time to study the guides available and has a good background in welding and inspection they can pass the CWI test without a prep class. Especially id you get a lame instructor. However, the prep class can broaden your knowledge by interacting with other candidates and a good instructor. Also there is the networking that occurs when you get a bunch of spark idiots together.
Parent - By Duke (***) Date 01-03-2010 23:43
"spark idiots"???   HAHAHA I have not heard that one before...   I certainly are one tho.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-03-2010 23:32
KK,  along with what Al and dbigkahunna said, The material is 'EXACTLY' what you will find in the WIT Book. 

When I went through it, they sent me the material on ten CD's that I can go through at any time.  My oldest son, who is my shop foreman, goes through them occassionally to keep up his working knowledge.  They had me set up to take the tests on line.  Not a bad program, but 100% repetitive of the WIT book and much more expensive.  I still like having the CD's since I took it before I got the WIT book. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Ke1thk (**) Date 01-04-2010 12:19
Education is a huge business.  I've studied a few programs through ASQ, American Society for quality.  They're similar to AWS in that most of the information is either book of classroom.  Problems include; reading a book can be boring, class time incontinent, and costs high.

There's a company that advertises within the ASQ magazine that offers "Primers" for each "certification" offered by ASQ.  It's all the printed info needed to pass the tests.  They also offer a CD bank of 1,000 test like questions for each course for $80.  They’re great.  You can prepare for the test by taking a test as often as you like, as many different ways that you like.  It grades the results.  It tells you where your weaknesses are.

Also, I've studied many sections of mathematics including Algebra, Statistics, Probability, and Calculus with the Video Professor.  It's just like you’re in a classroom only you can rewind.  They have printed problems that you download and follow along with.  The best part is that they're free at the library.

Sorry for ranting but I wish we had similar tools.

Keith
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-24-2010 05:22
Ok I can see this being an ok program for a neoyphyte to learn some THING about welding technique, procedure and get some training via the internet.   The same knowledge offered can be had via serious search engine effort for FREE.   As far as helping someone become a qualified, I SAID QUALIFIED!!!!, this is a joke because welding is a physical AND mental skill and requires testing for qualifications.  Without oversight of the physical abilities required in (almost)ANY welding discipline this is a waste of time and money.    I am sure there are at LEAST  5000 welders scattered across the country who could and would input a more valuable learning experience for less then 1/8 the time and 1/2 the expense then this class could offer concerning general knowledge of welding.      SECOND    if this is to be promoted as a study program for achieving a CWI            WELL I will just say it for everyone in the trenches.....we need CWI that knows something about welding, those folks will be able to interpret codes accurately.  I look at inspection just like I look at engineering, guys with practical experience seems to be LEAPS AND BOUNDS ahead of there peers doing the same damm job.

Sorry if this come off as a rant but I have a disposition against online schools period, they are NO substitute for actual physical class attendance at this point in time......they could be great...but in my experience the knowledge and credibility thereof is servilely lacking compared to the cost.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-25-2010 14:36
Tommy,

Easy there my good man.  You're getting worked up over nothing, honest.  And that is not a criticism, just a comment.  Follow:

1) The program was set up by AWS and adopted to be operated by this other company.  It is EXACTLY the WIT (Welding Inspection Technoloy) book available through AWS bookstore and handed out and used at the CWI seminar for the practical knowledge part of the exam.  It gives people another option for learning.  But, YES, people need to know what it is so they don't pay for it thinking they are getting something they are not.

2) The is simply another method for the transferance of knowledge from book to head.  It has basically nothing to do with getting Qualified/Certified.  Except that all welders would do well to go through it just to keep their general knowledge of the trade/profession fresh on their minds and some beginners may even benefit greatly from the information presented and be able to improve their welding skills as a benefit from new head knowledge gained about the various processes, metallurgy, information on how tests are done, welding symbols, etc.

3) Because it is the exact info used for the general knowledge part of the exam for CWI it is most definitely a benefit for those wanting to take the test.  Gives you a visual as the guy reads through the exact material you will go through at the seminar, just reinforces everything with visual aids.  And it is definitely a help to go through this material before you get to the seminar.

4)  I agree about needing inspectors with 'trench' experience and knowledge.  They also need other background knowledge from books.  It takes both to make a GOOD inspector.

5)  I wish we could just buy the CD's through the bookstore with all the rest of the material, we can't.  So, as long as people know what they are getting, if they want to spend the $600 or so to get the CD's and, if your scores are high enough, a certificate of completion, go ahead.  If I had known what it was and that the book was so much cheaper, I would not have done it.  Now that I have the CD's I make good use of them.

Hope this makes sense and eases your mind somewhat.  Just my two tin pennies worth.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-25-2010 22:47
Sorry Brent       I took a somewhat beer fueled tangent there.     My wife has an associates from on online school to the tune of $16000 and has not had but 1 interview in a YEAR.    I never would have agreed to it but I was of the understanding that no degree programs could be had locally for this profession......that was misinformation. 

So basically if you skim over a thread and do not take time to think about it......you end up with foot in mouth like me.

Best regards
Tommy
Parent - - By kkfabricator (**) Date 01-25-2010 23:46
thanks for the input. I AM going to take the seminar and I DO have experience in the industry I am also wanting to not waste my time and money by not being prepared and failing the test, so I am looking for things to insure that I know what I need to. I came across this school and was just wondering if it was legitamate or another place to throw money for no reason.  Again thanks for the help

Chuck
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-26-2010 05:07
its a hard test if you don't study  hard before the seminar you'll have a hard time passing
to much info to absorb in to short a time. 4 cwi's i know all took the seminar and all four failed
I studied the right material and passed 1st time no problem no seminar. there's a reason  only
30%  pass on the first try.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / anyone know anything about this?