Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / PQR welding processes
- - By spots (**) Date 01-20-2010 16:58
I am looking at a PQR that has three welding processes listed. The first two are both GTAW, the only difference between the two is deposit thickness and amperage. Any idea as to why the two were not combined?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-21-2010 05:12
Using my fingers and toes, I can count 20 reasons.

Al
Parent - By spots (**) Date 01-21-2010 14:34
Please elaborate.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-21-2010 14:06
ASME Section IX?
If so, you can certainly do it that way if you wish, but it isn't necessary.
I wouldn't list it as a seperate process. I'd record it as two different currents utilized in the qual. This is quite common. In fact, pretty much every qual I've done has had multiple current settings recorded.
So, I guess the answer to your question is, because thats the way they wanted to record it.
Parent - - By spots (**) Date 01-21-2010 14:33
Yes it is to Section IX, the reason I am curious is because the way they have split up the GTAW was carried over onto the WPS.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-21-2010 15:18
Without any more info to dispute it my first thought is that they have just unnecessarily restricted themselves.
Parent - By north_fl_cwi (*) Date 01-25-2010 20:42
I have several that way.  The simplest answer I have is some of ours at one time we did not plan on doing thicker than a certain amount.  At a later time we found the need to go thicker on the PQR to increase the limits of the WPS.  Therefore we have multiple thickness PQRs for one WPS.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 01-26-2010 03:12
I have seen this on occasion.  Usually it is where a manual GTAW root/hot pass was performed followed by machine GTAW, then another process.  The manual root/hot pass is usually treated as a separate set of variables from the machine GTAW portion.  Some folks do this also for a change in F-No. or other variable.  Without looking at the PQR you have, it is kind of tough to tell why it was done.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / PQR welding processes