Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Study guides for CWI?
- - By kkfabricator (**) Date 11-14-2009 00:37
I have recently decided to try to get a CWI cert, and was wondering where a good place to start is. I am not going to test until at least next year so I can give myself enough time to properly prepare. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-14-2009 04:05 Edited 11-14-2009 23:50
KK, 

There are many threads within this database with more information about your question than you can shake a stick at.  You can find them pretty easy by using the 'Search' function here. 

Also, if you go to the main website, then to 'certifications', then 'Certified Welding Inspector', then 'CWI Program Package', down toward the bottom will be a section on 'self study materials'.  All the recommended materials are good to have even after you test.  Some are references that will be handed out the week of the seminar and exam.  It is still beneficial, though not mandatory nor absolutely necessary, to purchase them ahead of time and study them before ever reaching the seminar.  You can always sell or hand out the extras to fellow employees or others interested in improving their welding knowledge.

The main item to study is your D1.1.  My second choice would be the WIT book.  From there, there are many opinions.  None are wrong.  It all depends upon how serious you are and how deep your pockets are.  The Certification Handbook is another good one.  Several people here really like it for pre-exam study.  The WIT book will be given to you and gone through at the seminar, but, as you will get a closed book exam of a couple hundred questions from it, it does not hurt to know it well.

The area I directed you to for the references will also show you some free downloads that will explain all the requirements and qualifications to become a CWI.  QC1 would be very beneficial to go through as would B5.1.

Hope this is of some help.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By gold eagle Date 02-18-2010 18:11
Also, get your hands on the part B specification Guide and ask someone or blog for questions that are like the ones on the test. Along with Brent's recommendation, read a couple chapters a day from each book, (this helps break the monotony of reading the code book from start to finish before you get to study the other parts of the tests).
Are you going for the seminars or partial seminar?
Parent - - By kkfabricator (**) Date 03-18-2010 01:37
I am planning on going to the seminar and taking the test when I feel confident that I am not wasting my time and money. I have made an agreement with my employer to work overtime for my straight wage in return for him to pay for the seminar. Seeing as there is not much $ out there it seems like the only way to go.  Does anyone know if I can get the materials that AWS gives with the seminar/exam early and if those materials are furnished even if you are not taking the test at the time that you are attending the seminar? like I said, I am working on a very limited budget, and i have bought the 2008 codebook. It is very monotonous and i feel like I am not getting anywhere by studying it. I am very dedicated to getting certified, but am just running in cirles with my budget. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 03-18-2010 02:41
Go to the AWS website and bookstore. Download the 2010 catalogue & Order the AWS CM, AWS D1.1 CCRM, AWS VIW-M, AWS WIT-T, AWS WIT-W, AWS WIT-E. Also the D1.1 '08 or '10. Free downloads ANSI Z49.1, AWS B5.2, QC1:2007. This should set you back about $600. Most of these will be included in the CWI prepatory seminar. If you have and study these materials you may opt to just write the CWI exam without the seminar.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-18-2010 05:13
Chuck

Send me an email... lbower@blackhawk.edu

I can help a little.
Parent - By willbergj (**) Date 09-03-2010 14:04
i have all the cwi materials.  some new some used for a reasonable price.  i recently passed the cwi d1.1 if you have any questions i would be glad to help
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Study guides for CWI?