Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 9-year recertification
- - By Carter Date 04-26-2010 22:58
Anybody have any advice on preparing for 9-year re-cert?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-27-2010 15:05 Edited 04-27-2010 15:09
You will hopefully get many responses to this question.  You can also find many threads relating to this by doing a 'search' of the forum. (see header in blue)

You should have no problem if you have been using the skills and knowledge required to achieve the CWI in the first place.  But, have you considered taking one of the alternate endorsement tests instead of the nine year recert?  Also, go through the article in the latest 'Inspection Trends' by Jim Shore on keeping your certification updated.  He has many points as to record keeping and activities that qualify so you don't have to retest on the Part B.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By James Corbin (**) Date 04-27-2010 19:10
If you have related training over the years and can turn in those training certificates (show the proof) then with 80+ hours you can beg out of the retest.
There are other rules that apply such as not repeating a class within the 9 year period and the training needs to be spread out some time and.......
But why take a test when you should be doing some sort of continuous training anyway.
I personally turned in about a third ream of certificates and such for my 9 year recert, then did not have to test. (such as NDT classes) You will still pay just not test.
If you must test then study the practical section of the CWI test.
I have heard that if not now but coming soon you can take other tests such as a different code book or bolting or....... and it can count towards your 9 year.
Al might know more about this..........

Hope this helps
Parent - By north_fl_cwi (*) Date 04-27-2010 19:49
Just wrote up my recert package today.  Still have a few things to get signed off for documentation, but should have it in shortly.

I am taking the RI exam to recert for my 9 year CWI, and then will take the SCWI test after that.

If the packages confuse you, make a call to the Certification department at AWS.  They are VERY helpful in getting you what you need.  They answered a few questions for me today.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 9-year recertification