Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Questions about the job
- - By Jesse Dyffryn Date 06-21-2010 02:59 Edited 06-21-2010 03:05
I know its somewhat of an odd question but I’m looking to….. Ok, so I was in the army as a fabricator, messed up my shoulder and was medically discharged. I’ve been waiting on the VA to help with finding a job. Long story short, I’m needing to talk to someone who works as a welding inspector to find out what I need to do to get a job as one. I’m not asking for someone to hire me now or anything. I just have some questions that I need to ask about the job.

If anyone might be willing to sit down with me to answer some questions, either let me know and I’ll PM you my number or something.

Thanks in advance,

Jesse
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-21-2010 14:23
Ask your questions on the Forum and you'll get many responses and several differring opinions.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-21-2010 15:21
I would also suggest a search of this forum as there is an abundance of info already posted here.

This will help.

http://files.aws.org/certification/docs/QC1-2007.pdf

As will this, specifically section's 8 & 9.

http://files.aws.org/certification/CWI/CWI_Exam_only_pkg.pdf

After reading these two documents and a good search you will most likely narrow down your questions quite a bit.

jrw159
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 06-24-2010 07:20 Edited 06-24-2010 07:26
First off, "WELDCOME TO THE WORLD'S GREATEST WELDING FORUM AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR OUTSTANDING SERVICE
TOWARDS DEFENDING OUR COUNTRY!!! :) :) :)"

Contact Force Protection Industries out of South Carolina:

http://www.forceprotection.net/careers/

If you got the right quals, you'll be hired in very short order... Also, Helmets to hardhats may have something for you as well...

http://info.helmetstohardhats.org/content/index.jsp

http://helmetstohardhats.org/

There are also many government civilian jobs that give veterans preference, and you can find some of them here:

http://www.usajobs.com/

http://www.usajobs.gov/firsttimevisitors.asp

Good luck on your search and once again thank you for your service!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Platinumbased (**) Date 06-26-2010 13:09 Edited 06-26-2010 13:21
1) Force Protection is NOT hiring.  Zero welding jobs available and calls to them are refered to the web site as the only way to apply.

2) Helmets to Hardhats is an a apprenticeship program with the Union trades. There's very little work right now and my union is NOT taking in new members despite numerous retirements.  There's really no work available.  90% of my local is laid off.

3) USA JOBS.....Maybe being a vet will give you preference on getting hired.  Not too many welding related jobs available but it may be your best shot.  It takes hours to apply for these jobs due to the redundant questinonairre so make a pot of coffee.  I'm told by people who work  for the government that many of these jobs are filled (patronage jobs) before they are even posted.  The posting is just to make it seem fair so note that you are probably wasting your time.  It's worth a shot though.  I've submitted over 100 resumes to USAJOBS and never got a reply.  You'll need to study up on "keywords" and such.  If you don't have the correct keywords in your resume for the posting, the automated system will reject it long before a human will ever read it.  This requires custom modification of your resume to match keywords in each specific job description and it's very time consuming.  If you're not willing to do this, your resume will be rejected.  This info comes from a friend who actually hires people from the USAJOBS website.  Just so you know.  

4) CWI training.  There are lots of CWI's with many years experience out of work right now.  The pay scale for CWI's has fallen sharply since 2008.  The market is flooded with CWI's since the domestic oil and power industry took a dive.  Lot's of kids willing to do this work for $15.00 an hour.  How do I know this?  I've been trying to use my new CWI for the past year and this is what the inspection outfits are telling me.  It may be years before demand picks up but if you are young, go for it. 

This is the reality of the welding world today.  You may want to pursue another occupation as it's getting worse, not better.  Hope this helps.
- - By Jesse Dyffryn Date 06-21-2010 17:17
So these questions are from the paper work that the VA gave me to fill out. I would prefer to ask them in person or over the phone but we’ll see how this works out.

Name of company :
Contact person and job title :
Address :
Phone number :
Type of business :

Hiring trends-
Is there a current need for workers:
Yes____ If yes, frequency of need or comments:
No ____ Seasonal, part time or other comments:

What are the preferred qualifications: (education/ experience): access to apprenticeship/ mentoring/ volunteerism:

Type and proficiency of computer skills required.

Starting salary.

Areas of specialization.

Opportunities for advancement.

Physical requirements, for the duties.

Favorite aspect of the job.

Least favorite aspect of the job.

Other concerns or factors
1. Burnout issues

2. On going educational needs

3. Would person stay in the field or not?
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 06-21-2010 18:15
To help answer some of these questions:

Yes there is a need as full time or contract positions

Qualifications are to have 5 years welding or welding related experience, or you can substitute these years with a certain degree.  And just pass a really fun 8 hour exam.

Most emplyers will want some sort of computer skills.

Starting salary will be in the high teens $17+(at least that is my experience)

You could specialize in many areas, ICC, VT, UT, MT, PT, etc...

Physical requirements might be to climbing latters, dealing with heights, exposure to outside elements, etc...

You might get burned out on travel or get lucky to find a shop job.

You will have to renew your every 9 years.

There are usually great opportunities for advancement such as a SCWI or level III in an NDT method.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 06-21-2010 18:33
Of the two shop inspectors I have hired, they both came from the fabrication side first.  This way they know the practises and procedures on how to burn, weld, bend, bolt ect.  Some guys don't have that background, but it sounds like you may have some ,so that should be to your advantage.

This economy sucks, so it MIGHT be difficult to get started, but don't let that stop you.

Yes, guys who travel tend to make more money than guys who don't.  Personnally I'd rather be home with my family, than to make more money and see them every 3-4 weeks, but thats just me.  You'll need to consider this, and be aware to get experience, you may not have the option and have to travel to get experience under your belt. I did it for a couple of years and hated it, but that's what it took to get started.
Good Luck
Chris
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Questions about the job