Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI exam???
- - By Terry Vititoe 2 (*) Date 08-08-2010 10:14
Here we go again, I must admit it I'm to lazy to look through all the past forums.  I have D1.1 & part B, but is there any other books that can help with the CWI exam.  I'm planning on taken the exam soon.

signed Lazy
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-08-2010 14:17 Edited 08-08-2010 14:30
LOL!!

Terry,

It all really depends upon how much money you want to spend ahead of time.  There are MANY books you COULD buy and study.  D1.1, Part B, & WIT are your best resources to begin your study.  You will get a copy of D1.1 and WIT at the seminar the week ahead of the exam,  I bought them anyway and then gave my well used copies to my oldest son who was my shop foreman (has since left the area for other things). 

From there you can get any or all of the reference material listed on the AWS website in the certifications section.  I will chase that down and put it here in a bit.  I bought almost all of those reference books and consider it a very well spent addition to my welding and inspections library.  I read through every one of them before the exam.  Much of the info will be very repetitive but is well worth it.  Sometimes it is stated differently or with added information that helped me comprehend it better.

EDIT:  If you go to the main AWS website, go to the 'Certifications' header and click on it, go down to about the first or second spot to 'CWI' & click.  When you get that page, go most of the way to the bottom, at the box to choose a package pick the CWI package download.  When you go all the way through the application and visual acuity and other pages, the last page is the Body of Knowledge page.  Down on the bottom left corner is a list of 'AWS Recommended' references for self study.  Choose away.  They are all good additions to any library.

If you only had the money to buy one book, and hopefully you already are knowledgeable in the general information arena and with D1.1-or API 1104 for those who so choose, then I would recommend the 'Welding Inspections Handbook'.  BUT, most of the info in it is also in the WIT, 'Welding Inspections Technology' book.  There is also a reference book with a whole bank of questions covering the WIT book chapters, many more questions than the ones at the end of each chapter in the WIT book itself.  Good for covering much more of the general knowledge ground.

Spend your money wisely.  Use your time wisely.  Study, do the practice exams and questions over and over.  Study, study, study.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- By Terry Vititoe 2 (*) Date 08-09-2010 10:17
WOW! Thanks so much for your time & answering me.  Looks like I'm going to be busy!!! Thanks AGAIN!!!!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI exam???