Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / NDT Certification Training Questions
- - By Platinumbased (**) Date 08-10-2010 17:22
Greetings,
I got my CWI and every potential employer wants NDT training as well.  Can anyone suggest how I go about getting this?
I went to the ASNT web site and it has info on taking the exam and such.  I studied for the CWI on my own dime and took the exam and seminar later on.
Can I do the same with the NDT test or does this require hands on training?  Thank you.
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 08-10-2010 18:46
Try searching this site for NDT training and hours.  You need to get your formal training hours(depends on process) then get your OJT hours.  For example UT needs 40 hrs formal training and like 230 for OJT for your level I.  40 more hours formal training and like 700 hours OJT to get your level II.  Don't quote me on the hours, they vary for process and if your going to ASNT or CP-189.  Getting the OJT hours from an employer or anyone that is willing to give them to you is going to be your biggest problem.  Then once you get your level II then depending on what industry you want to go into then you will find it difficult to get a position even if you are a level II, this is my dilema because I want to get out of structural steel work.
Parent - - By Platinumbased (**) Date 08-10-2010 20:23
Thanks for the info.  That's what I thought.  You have to be working in NDT before you can even take the test.  The economy stinks so bad that nobody is hiring now, especially a guy in his mid 40's with 20 plus years of metal fab and welding experience.  The one (only one) interview I had made me realize from the looks I got that age is not looked upon as an asset.  They want young kids willing to work for $12/hr and work up the ladder.  Not sure what to do.  I'm still employed now but the writing is on the wall.  It's very ugly out there for anyone entering the inspection trades.  I'm sure I'm competing with some very experienced inspectors and NDT techs who can't find work these days.  I thought I'd get into inspection as my body is getting pretty beat.  Willing to travel, learn, train etc.  Nobody is interested.  I feel I have lots to offer due to my knowledge of the trade but that does not seem to be what the powers that be are interested in these days.  Oh well.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-11-2010 11:24
What area are you in?
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-11-2010 11:30
There are some new nukes getting ready to open up. What I would suggest is not approaching it from the 'inspector' standpoint. Approach it from the field weld engineering aspect.
Becthel, Stone and (Webster) Shaw, Flour, B&W are the players you need to be looking into for that.
Parent - - By Platinumbased (**) Date 08-11-2010 19:40
I'm in NY State but looking to relocate.  I'm not an engineer, just a welder and a new CWI with some college not related to construction.  I'd be willing to take any job that would provide some training.  My learning curve would be small as I've been working in the trade for some time. Worked in a few unions over the years.  Ironworkers, Boilermakers and lots of shops.  The body is getting pretty sore these days and I'd like to move into NDT work.  I still have the spark and the will it's just that I have trouble working the long hours crawling on steel dragging a stinger behind me.  25 years of it has taken its toll.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-11-2010 19:52
I attended Krautkramer's UT classes in Lewistown, PA. I highly recommend looking into the Level I and II UT classes there. Thier name has changed to GE Inspection Technologies, but it's the same ole place. Not sure if Jim Fauth is still there or not, but that was the Level III who I sat under the teaching of and completely enjoyed. Reasoning for using Krautkramer was I had one of those UT machines, so I wanted to learn on the same machine. They used the same model USN50 in the class as we had here at work.

http://www.gesensinginspection.com/en/services-and-support.html

I attended the MT and PT Level I and II classes at Plumstead Quality Testing in Greenville, SC and I give them a good review as well.

http://www.pqt.net/
Parent - - By Platinumbased (**) Date 08-11-2010 20:04
Thanks John.  I'll look into it.  What I really want is a company to hire me and train me in NDT.  I'd take an entry level and be willing to relocate.  The wife and I want to move away from this area we've called home our whole lives.

I paid for the CWI seminar and exam out of my own pocket and passed on the first try (which I'm very proud of).  The CWI exam was pretty hard for me but I studied for months on my own.  I'm willing to do the same for the NDT cert but I can't even get a job as a CWI and that cost me close to $5K with travel, hotel, seminar, books and time off from work.  I'd be willing to spring for the cost of more training but not sure if it will help me get a job.  Hoping the economy improves soon as there are way too many EXPERIENCED CWI's and NDT techs out of work right now.  Who wants to hire me when they can hire them?  Trying to keep my spirits up and I'm not quiting.  200 plus resumes sent so far this year.  One interview.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-11-2010 20:15
I completely understand the out of pocket expense, and wanting to get the training on an employer's dime. That, fortunately was the way I ended up getting my training, and then was able to work off my required documented NDT hours to make it all legit. I've been keeping a log and now I'm up into the thousands of hours. I've been here at the same fabricator's plant for 26 years. So, sometimes, I envy the young guns who aren't married or have families who can move around and get all sorts of different NDT experiences. I see the same ole stuff week after week, same materials, same welding methods, same plain vanilla structural steel. I'm not going to complain any longer, it has been steady work for 26 years, not the best paying, but steady and I have regular hours and see my family every night.
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 08-13-2010 21:30
John, I also attended there for level I & II and Jim was also my instructor. At that time I used the USN60. Software issues and the machines locking up made us dub them Krapkramer... I also recommend GEIT and the little Omish fresh veggie stand I visited. Great training and food!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-14-2010 10:11
The last time I was there, I took the UT weld inspection and flaw charaterizing class and Jim showed us the latest and greatest that was in R&D, yet to be released, phased array UT machine being used to inspect railroad wheels and axles. The new UT machine allowed inspection of these parts without disassembly from the train.<---that should give you some indication of when I last saw and spoke to Jim.(2005ish?)
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 08-15-2010 19:43
I was there in the spring of 04. I really enjoyed the area it was my first trip back east. I hope to visit again!
Parent - By tlk1 Date 09-11-2010 14:48
PM Sent
- - By qaultra Date 08-12-2010 20:39 Edited 08-12-2010 20:46
Hey Platniumbased

Here are a few websites to go to when looking for some jobs. www.ndtcabin.com and www.ndt.org. Both websites give you information for weld and NDT jobs. As for getting NDT training, jwright gave you some good information. SNT-TC-1A The Reccommended Practice for Qual/Cert. of NDT personnel will give you an idea but may take some time to interpret. NAS-410 and/or MIL-STD-410 (aerospace) has a very good breakdown for certification. Supermoto referenced CP-189, which is the ASNT standard to qualify NDT personnel. Whichever you have access to will give you direct information on what you need for certification as an NDT weenie.

Don't get discouraged, some things take time. Go for it.

BE

PS I think those of us who spent the money really appreciate what we have, 5K is alot but if you do it right you make that back in no time, because there are welding and NDT jobs all over the world if you are willing to travel. Plus they do pay very well.
Parent - - By Platinumbased (**) Date 08-12-2010 22:45 Edited 08-12-2010 22:52
Thanks for the reply qaultra.

I have no access to the publications you mentioned.  I just want to get started with study materials like I did with the CWI exam.  Should I go with the ASNT CP-189 as an entry level publication to study?  These books tend to be expensive, at least they were for the CWI exam.  I really need to get moving on this as I'm getting up there in years (mid 40's). I can't afford to waste time or money.  My mechanic/welder job pays extremely well but I'm clinging to the toilet ring waiting to get flushed on the next round of layoffs.  I'm the next guy to go.

I plan on spending a sunny weekend hammering resumes out as it's better to look for a job while you have one.  If I could just get my foot in the door!  They'll see what my work ethic is compared to the younger guys.  Please note that I'm not bashing all the younger guys but I won't be texting all day and taking days off with a hangover as those days are long gone (yes I know what it's like to be young). I really want to learn this stuff and get started! I have 20 years of productive work life left in me and I'm healthy, willing to relocate, computer literate, have some college, etc.  I've worked side by side with inspectors and NDT techs for 20+ years and know the basics of what they do.
Parent - By rupe01 Date 08-15-2010 19:06
Hi.........not sure if you have already tried this, but i highly recommend putting your resume online. I have been lucky and havent needed to look for work as i have been able to find it on my own OK, but i did initially put my resume online (monster, ndt.org etc) and i am called for CWI work at least 2 or 3 times a week from this. Reassures me that i could always get work if i should need to, sometime.
Parent - - By trapdoor (**) Date 08-16-2010 15:25
If you want to be ahead or the curve and get the most for your money I would recomend that before you walk through the door for an NDT training class that you read the Programed Instuction Book from General Dynamics in the method you plan on learning. You can find these publications at http://asnt.org/shop/merchant.ihtml?id=5&step=2
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-16-2010 15:47
Here is another source for NDT info. plus, Online training ect....

http://ndt-ed.org/index_flash.htm
- - By basecamp2 (*) Date 08-24-2010 02:44
I have been a CWI for years, also keep my ACCP Level ll updated. I have site tested, 3 times for site cert's all 3 test were for VT, Remote VT, Pressure equipment-pipeing.
The written and hands on test enculded welding and machinecal parts.
  I sent these test results and my current CWI/ACCP Level ll doc's to a nuke job. The QA Manager called me back and informed me that the NRC no longer excepts ASNT/ACCP's for any level.
How do I get the cert the NRC will except?
Parent - By L51174 (**) Date 08-24-2010 16:00
I dont know that the NRC ever did accept the ACCP program. However, if you go to work inspection at a nuc you will likely be contracting yourself to an inspection company, which will, if you are qualified, test you according to the requirements of the NRC, EPRI, and ASME. 

Nuc world uses PDI, (performance demonstration initiative), to prove the effectiveness of NDE techniques, procedures and personnel. I dont know too much about this system having never worked nuclear,(except in the Navy) Check the info on PDI at EPRI's (Electric Power Research Institute) website and go from there.

No worries though, much more knowledgable people will be along shortly.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-24-2010 16:34
Regulatory Guide 1.58 (NRC) handles this in a general sense. When addressing the FSAR (final safety analysis report) these examinations prior to 1983 had to be performed by personnel qualified in accordance with N45.2.6 etc. It also throws in ANSI N18.1 as a base document. (I.E. if your not required to certify by N18.1, then you go to N45.2.6)

After 83, new construction went to ASME NQA-1.

A prospective company would also have to assure that you meet the requirements of Reg guide 1.28, and 10CFR 50 (several parts)

Boiling the BS away, the company you are working for must certify you. The only thing that CWI or ACCP does for you is prove you have tested by a third party.
You still have to provide the required verifiable experience.

Just send a CV/Resume to the companies in question, if they can cert you to QC, they will if they need you.

Regards,
Gerald
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / NDT Certification Training Questions