Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Advice on preparing for CWI Exam
- - By ironhead42 Date 11-06-2010 23:02
How's it going everybody. First time post
I am a current Certified Welder/ Ironworker studying to take the CWI exam in August along with the week seminar.
I have purchased a few books recently:
AWS D1.1 2010
AWS B1.11 Guide for Visual Examination of Welds
AWS B1.10 Guide for NDE
Welding Inspection Workbook
Visual Inspection Workshop Ref. Manual.

All studying has gone well. I'm just struggling with getting through the D1.1 code in a timely manner. I can find the answer just not as quickly as I'd like. Any advise is much appreciated. Or give me a question to stump me.
If you think there is other reading you suggest please feel free to comment.

p.s. not related, but where should i turn to start looking for employment??
I have 6 plus yrs experience between welding/ fabrication/ erection
certified welder since 2007
Welding School Grad.

Thanks, Anthony
Parent - By ironhead42 Date 11-06-2010 23:04
Guess I posted in the wrong section.....ooops
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 11-07-2010 13:02
ironhead42
First off welcome to the forum.
As I don't know you I can not really answer your question.
How much of the 6 years was truly in weld inspection? How familiar are you with discontinuities? How much do you really know about the D1.1 code, (I guess that will be your open book)? How familiar are you with all welding and cutting processes? What knowledge of metallurgy do you posses? ...
As far as jobs that is like everything else, it depends on You and who you know.
I will say today employers are looking for more versatility in their employees requiring the inspectors to be more than visual qualified such as MT, UT, RT,...
But Good Luck
And again Welcome to the American Welding Society Online Forum
Marshall
Parent - By ironhead42 Date 11-08-2010 19:05
Marshall
Thanks for the reply
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear before. I have no experience as a CWI. The 6 yrs experience is in Welding/ Fabrication/ Erection.
I have lots of experience in Welding and cutting, not alot of experience in Metallurgy.
D1.1 I just started reading recently. As well as learning of all the of other forms of NDT
- By weld4JC (*) Date 11-16-2010 16:19
My advice is to check out the Hobart Institute in Troy Ohio. They have two week school just for CWI training
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Advice on preparing for CWI Exam