Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Looking for advice about CWI
- - By ironhead42 Date 11-08-2010 19:10
How's it going everybody.
First time post
I am a current Certified Welder/ Ironworker looking to take the CWI exam in August along with the week seminar.
I have purchased a few books recently:
AWS D1.1 2010
AWS B1.11 Guide for Visual Examination of Welds
AWS B1.10 Guide for NDE
Welding Inspection Workbook
Visual Inspection Workshop Ref. Manual.

All studying has gone well. I'm just struggling with getting through the D1.1 code in a timely manner. I can find the answer just not as quickly as I'd like. Any advise is much appreciated. Or give me a question to stump me.
If you think there is other reading you suggest please feel free to comment.

p.s. not related, but where should i turn to start looking for employment??
I have 6 plus yrs experience as a welder/ fabricator / steel erector
certified welder since 2007
Welding School Grad.

Thanks, Anthony
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-08-2010 22:20
First off congrats on getting into inspection.
As you are studying on your own and are a ways away from taking the test, do not burn yourself out on studying. Become familiar with the different codes and skim over them. Spend 20 to 30 minutes twice to three times a week just looking at the different sections and becoming familiar with how they are arranged.
Do this up to mid June. Start increasing the frequency of your studying to about 15 minutes every three days.
Mid July increase the frequency to 15 minutes every day. 
A week before the seminar stop studying. Do not crack a book until you go the the seminar.
During the week of the seminar, study at least an hour every day additional to the presented material.
Not all companies have welding inspectors so you are going to have to do your own DD on what you are looking for. If you are a road Wh0r$ that looks for the $$ and do not mind traveling, you look for those type of companies. If you are a homebody, getting one of these jobs regardless of the $$ will not work out.
Take my word for it.
As for getting into the business, you do it just like you started welding. You take any job that comes along. If you are looking for a permanent position, research the companies you would like to work for and go after them. If you are wanting to be a contract inspector, you are looking at 3-4 years to get established.
A CWI can be a stand alone certification, but as a contract inspector I would recommend at least 2-3 additional certifications. A structural welder, CWI and a NACE coating inspector certification would keep you gainfully employed more than you really want to work. You get on a gig that works 6-7 days a week for months at a time and the only time off is rain out days.
Then you work for a company that wants you to do paperwork on the rain out days.
Good money, but a lot of work.
Good luck with your pursuit.
Parent - - By Skaggydog (**) Date 11-09-2010 20:21 Edited 11-09-2010 20:29
Man, what are you telling this guy??  Your study plan dose not make a lick of sense.

Edit:  Excuse me please.  I know you as a knowledgeable person on here but do the math.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-09-2010 23:34
The closer you get to the test date increase the frequency, 15 minutes every day.  The further out, increase the duration 30 minutes 2-3 times a week.
You have to pace yourself. If you study too much, you burn out. August is a long time off.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-10-2010 02:48 Edited 11-10-2010 02:52
When I was beginning study for my CWI, my job at the time was a maintenance welder for Boeing so I had loads of free time at work :) I used that free time wisely and studied as much as possible, sometimes maybe up to 6 hours daily and then did an hour or 2 at home.  I did that for 6 months then took the 5 day Seminar offered by AWS - which I HIGHLY recommend.  Essentially the seminar is NOT going to teach you what you haven't already learned; it is an intensive review and to some extent, provides some extra tips on best ways to pass the exam, which is offered directly following the seminar so its all fresh in your mind.

Different study habits work differently for different people.  Since I've never really considered myself the sharpest tool in the shed, I've always tried extra hard, the one thing I have no lack of is motivation and its proven one of my best assets!

As for finding employment, obviously you have use of and knowledge about computers and internet, there are no shortages in opportunities but you should be prepared to relocate often, following the work.  (Speaking from my own background which is construction).  If you don't want to do a lot of moving around while establishing your experience, you'll find less opportunity and obviously less pay.

Best of luck, keep posting.  This business has provided me with over 35 years of continuous learning, I've never been bored with it and never regretted my career path!

EDIT:  Just adding a P/S: My experience was almost identical to yours when I first sat for my CWI, that leads me to believe if you follow good advice and study hard you'll have no problem passiing!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-10-2010 03:01
Jon says it well.

I studied for over 2 years before I sat for the exam...  Took the 1 week prep before the exam... I recommend also *highly*

If your job does not include daily code reading...  Than you need to make daily time to read the code.  Study of the suggested inspection test prep materials is also compulsary.
Parent - - By Drive Date 11-12-2010 10:35
Wow, thanks all for the advice. Am new here. I started with ASNT II in UT,VT,MT,PT,RFI for close to 5years then just did my CWI. I am slowly going through the codes which a really something relatively new  API 1104, ASME IX and AWS D1.1....thanks all
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-12-2010 11:10
Welcome aboard, sounds like you're off to a great start and a wonderful career!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Looking for advice about CWI