Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Still alive
- - By Jenn (***) Date 01-21-2011 17:12
I just wanted to let you guys know, I'm still alive and kicking.

I'm still at Alstom welding on those turbines. WOW - what you can learn in 2 1/2 years is unreal!!! I have 9 certs, inconels, hast x, 410 ss, etc.

I'm starting training for NDT inspection as well. I would do the CWI - but do not meet the "time in industry" requirements.

I have a daughter who will be 1 in February, and I welded 10 hours the day I had her at 39 1/2 weeks pregnant :D I'm a single mommy, but wouldn't trade it for the world.

I just thought I'd pop in and say hi, and that I think of many of you often!!!

Best regards!

Jennifer
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-21-2011 17:23
Hello stranger.

You are one of the first people I met on here back a couple of years ago. 

Was wondering what had happened.

Glad you are working, busy, and still find some time for sharing with us.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Jenn (***) Date 01-21-2011 17:30
I read this still sometimes, but don't have much time to post - between working, and changing diapers, making bottles, etc. Also, there is often not much on here that pertains to "my arena" of welding, so I see fit to stay quiet, when my 2 cents isn't of much help. ;)

I have enjoyed MANY of your posts, Brent.

As always, you guys can contact me anytime!!!

Sincerely,

Jenn
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-21-2011 18:13
Hello Jenn, figured you'd turn your job on it's ear and do very well. Sounds as if you have also been going non-stop between work and motherhood. Your little one is very fortunate to have such a caring parent and a great role model. My hat's off to you certainly. Continued good fortune and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-21-2011 19:04
Jenn,
  Good to hear from you again! Glad all is well. Give that little one a hug for me, she is a cutie. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 01-21-2011 19:22
Great to hear from you again Jenn I knew you would like the work and do well. Sometimes that line of work comes closer to being a Jeweler than Welder Huh! Are you in the Manufacturing or Repair?

Don’t be a stranger, we missed you.
Parent - By Jenn (***) Date 01-22-2011 01:04
Ron,

I repair and recondition the components for steam, and fueled turbine generators (blades, vanes, heat shields, entry segments, etc). YES, most of it is like being a jeweler. TINY TINY stuff, but I love it. Pretty cush too :)

I remember your advice when I first started, thanks!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-21-2011 20:11
Being busy in this day and time is a blessing....good to hear from you again, stop in again and talk when you can.
Parent - - By Jenn (***) Date 01-22-2011 00:46
DARN RIGHT its a blessing!!!
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-22-2011 03:24
I don't doubt You have been to busy to post.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-22-2011 18:57
Be studying for the CWI. As soon as you get the time to qualify, get that puppy.
The industry needs more like you. Be sure to encourage other women to enter the trade.
Parent - - By Jenn (***) Date 01-22-2011 19:13
Thanks! I may try and see if I can get the CAWI, until my time qualifies. In the meantime - I'm working towards NDT (what we use more at my job). I'm logging hours now under one of our veterans, who wants me to take his spot upon retirement in 3 years. CWI is only needed there for qualification of new welders - but as we all know, I may not be there forever, and the CWI is way more useful.

I try to encourage everyone I can. I still go by the shop at the school I went to, and answer questions for students there - and teach them a few tricks. Of course, I don't come across women interested in the trade very often. I wish there were more out there, and hope the ones that are will "hold their own" and give us all a good name.

You guys encouraged me, and shared A LOT of knowledge, that gave me a greater edge in the job market. Its much appreciated, and I'm running with it. Its now feeding and housing me and my daughter fairly comfortably. I've never regretted changing trades. I still look forward to going to work every single day. Plus, I lost that baby weight fast, lol.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-22-2011 22:11
Don't mess with the CAWI unless the company you are working for and the CWI you will work under recognizes and acknowledges the limitations of the CAWI. Concentrate on the NDT skills that you can qualify for such as pt, mt, and ut. Using the next three years to gain experience in the NDT process while still doing the welding, when you get the 5 years, and get your CWI you will be way more marketable.
If you have the time, talk to high school vocational teachers and show up on career day. Again if you have the time, the Skills USA programs can use volunteers for judging. I have seen few females go from the high school to the jr college even though the jr colleges are recruiting because there are few women as examples.
If you live in a area where there is a active AWS section, attend the meetings and begin networking with what are now your peers. Learn public speaking. Seek out a Toastmasters Club in your area. Learn public speaking. Never feel inferior in anyone's presence. You have achieved  remarkable success in a short time in your career.
All this makes you more marketable.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-23-2011 05:30
Anyone that qualifies for CWI status is wasting their time checking the box for "First Looser" (i.e. CAWI). Just my opinion of course.
With that being said, a person that is new to the trade, and especially if the Company/Management offers to foot the bill for training, an AWS approved seminar, and the test... Go for it. Are they willing to promote you to "Apprentice Inspector"? Why not jump on the opportunity for advancement? The Test is the same for CWI and CAWI, so only the score determines whether an applicant attains CWI, first looser, or fails.
Besides, it is never too early to start preparing for the CWI exam. I've seen degreed engineers not make it. Pass or fail, at such an early point in your career, I don't see any reason not to pursue it. The knowledge gained studying, and should worse case scenario occur and you do not get a passing score, you are in an excellent position to know what to expect the next time around, and the experience of having taken on of the toughest tests in the industry. I consider the Certified Welding Inspector to be the best engineering job one can have without a Bachelors Degree.
As dbigkahunna advised, NDT skills and certs are very valuable, especially combined with a CWI.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-28-2011 05:45
Well hello there lillady glad to see you made it and congrats on the baby i wish you well my friend
Parent - By Jenn (***) Date 02-09-2011 14:17
Thanks Shad! I think of you often, and always keep you in my prayers. I hope you're still hanging tough, and laughing a lot. :)

*hugs*

Jenn
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 02-09-2011 02:16
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

jrw159
Parent - - By Jenn (***) Date 02-09-2011 14:56
Thanks West!!!
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 02-09-2011 17:54
HEY JEN!!!!! Happy B-day and heres hopeing for many, many more. Let me know when your ready to come to Hoston, I need good Diaphragm techs.
Parent - - By mcostello (**) Date 02-10-2011 04:50
Diaphragm Tech? Is this something other than what I am thinking? Can't be a real job!:)
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 02-10-2011 13:41
No, no perish the thought ;-).

Steam Turbine Diaphragm Tech. More of an Artist or Jeweler. Not like most general welding jobs. Requires extremely good finesse with a high-speed Dotco grinders, Carbide burrs and GTAW torch.
Parent - - By Jenn (***) Date 02-10-2011 17:27
Don't tempt me!!! Not getting paid what I should here...

I like it and all, but will probably eventually have to move on for better money. What I "do" is so rare though. I'd be a perfect fit for that too.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 02-10-2011 18:33
Hi again Jenn. You like to seeing the world? I have a jobs on going in Brazil and the Phillipines right now another in Poland comeing up. Just finished a couple jobs in Italy, one in Polermo the other in Torino (about 30 miles north of the French Reviera.

I know you could do well at this work but there is a lot of travel if you get in to the field service end of it, Most of my Houston hands don't care to travel that much and they don't have to. We arent field service but we support them at times and visa-versa.

Acouple years ago we trained a young lady named Terra for our Calgary, Canada shop. She was from that area and after she got a good reputation established struck out as an independent and is doing real good from the last I heard. Up there the pay can really be good because of the sacristy of talent and experience.
Parent - By Jenn (***) Date 02-10-2011 22:32
I would consider travelling. My only trepidation, is that I'm the sole custodial parent of a 1 year old daughter. I had planned on asking to go to field services at my company, but I'm sure now, they'd never let me go from the reconditioning department. I have no desire to stay chained to a bench for the rest of my welding career.

PM me if you want, I'd be interested in exploring the option.

Best regards,

Jenn
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Still alive