Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / weaving and bead width gtaw welds
- - By diverdileo (*) Date 02-08-2011 04:08
In gtaw welding, I understand bead width is usually restricted to size of the nozzle with stringer beads.           However are there recommended ratios for tungsten size and filler size?          Also is there a maximum width ratios for (1) nozzle size (2). tungsten size and (3) filler size?
Parent - - By Skaggydog (**) Date 02-08-2011 17:26
Are you working to a code, or?
Parent - By diverdileo (*) Date 02-08-2011 17:37
yes I work with many codes, but I am talking in general. I am looking for engineering data or for those you can talk from experience what are common shop pratices for what I am refering to, if there are codes to what I am refering to please I want to know any and all codes which I can refer to. I understand it may not matter in some applications, but I am looking for refrences where it does matter and it is restricted and even if it is not restricted where it is sound recommended pratice and advantageous to stay within certain limits.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-10-2011 15:23
Bead width would 'unusually' be restricted thus. There is no code I know of that has a restriction requirement based upon nozzle width, or at all. Otherwise I'd just run a jumbo gas lense.
Bead width can be self limiting in CVN regimes however.
- - By diverdileo (*) Date 02-10-2011 12:13
Also can anyone explain the differences between lace weld beads and weave beads along with pros and cons and typical applications where one is prefered over the other. Photo comparisons would also be great.
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 02-10-2011 17:43
I found a laced picture in Grahams Maintenance Welding I will try to scan it and get it up.  I was taught lacing back in CC.  It was a 6010/11 SMAW technique where we would strike on the top of a fillet weld, straight drag at a 30-45 deg angle across the weld face and stop at the bottom. long arc and jump right back up to the top and repeat.  Arc doesnt go out.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-10-2011 18:06
This thread has some "weaving SMAW pics"....LOL

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=82324
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 02-10-2011 18:57
Pic # 2 is a great example of what I call lacing
Parent - By diverdileo (*) Date 02-10-2011 20:25
I have heard of pic#2 called a shipyard weave. I know you can weave with smaw, gtaw, and gmaw but can you lace in all these processes. I read in a book that lacing could be done in many processes?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / weaving and bead width gtaw welds