Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / API 1104
- - By joe pirie (***) Date 02-11-2011 00:45
Under API  1104 is there any set % of repairs required  in relationship to welds performed that determines that
a welder must be retested due to exceesive repairs or is it strictly at the discretion of  the contractor. I looked thru
1104 and could find nothing other than the contractors rights of inspection that says a welder can be made to retest
if his abilitys are questioned. Thanks guys
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-11-2011 15:37
I don't recall seeing anything that made things that easy for you Joe.

I am rather new to API as far as inspecting but have been studying it a fair amount as I would like to add the endorsement exam to my AWS/CWI which so far is D1.1 and Bolting.

Hopefully some of our more distinguished members will jump in here.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 02-11-2011 16:12
I took my CWI with 1104 and worked with it a few  times.
i have a friend whos a foreman on a refinery job and the
RT inspector has found some alleged discontinuities on several welds made by
the same welder who has been on this job for 6 months or more and had minimal repairs.
The refinery wants to retest the welder because the RT inspector told  the foreman that
the welder had to many repairs allowed by code. I can't find anywhere in the code where retesting
is mandatory if a welder has a certain % of repairs in relationship to good welds.
I understand that the owners rep or contractor, or inspector can retest any welder at their discretion if their
competency is in doubt.  Another RT tech looked at the films and saw nothing wrong, then they uted the welds
and the defects were found acceptable.   Thanks  Joe
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-11-2011 18:56
No. Only at discretion of the contractor. The inspector can request the contractor to retest the welder. The responsibility falls to the contractor.
The contractor can deny the inspector's request, but that is outside 1104.
Most pipeline companies let the welders know up front how many repairs before ROMF.
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 02-11-2011 19:11
Thank you
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / API 1104