Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / API 510 Seminar
- - By junkiron (**) Date 03-13-2011 16:27
For those of you who have taken the API 510, how much did the seminar help, is it worth it.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 03-13-2011 18:52
How confident are you in the body of knowledge?
Have you taken another API test or is this the first one?
Do you have a deep background in vessel inspection.
Which test prep are you planning on going to. Some are better than others.
Code West is the leader. There are others out there with some better than others.
Parent - - By junkiron (**) Date 03-13-2011 22:51
First API cert, I have a CWI , I did great in that. My background is more in piping and strucutral (offshore).
I keep hearing great things about Code West so they are my first choice.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 03-14-2011 01:25
They are the best prep class. Get your application in early and be ready for a intense seminar. If you are taking the 8 day seminar, plan on a week after for decompressing after the test.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 03-14-2011 12:54
Your CWI is not going to help much with 510.
It will be Section VIII heavy course.
And as mentioned,the body of knowledge is huge. Section IX, failure mechanisms, corrosion mechanisms, calculations, etc.
I would recommend the long course. You'll need all the time you can get.
I would also recommend you not take the test immediately following.
Use the course to learn what information is going to be involved, and then use the extra time to polish your study.
For most people 510 is the toughest of the big 3 (510, 570, 653). But each time it gets easier because the body of knowledge overlaps.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 03-14-2011 00:18
It is well worth it, actually, I would like to see the pass rate for people NOT attending a seminar prior to examination.
I guess it is very low.

- - By junkiron (**) Date 03-14-2011 03:10
so which is better the 8 day or the 10.5 day
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 03-14-2011 08:24
Which is better 8 days training or 10.5 days training?

:eek:
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 03-14-2011 10:44
On your nickle, 8 days, your boss, the long one
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 03-16-2011 02:48
junkiron

In 653, you need to remember many things while 510 has a lot of calculations…I find it easier than 653…570 was the easiest.

I would suggest that you take the course 1 or 2 months before the exam date. Read all the code books every day. Concentrate on body of knowledge. Read thoroughly the API 510 code – at least 3x (I read it 6x during exam preparation, in the train, in the loo, in the plane everywhere…why I have to do that? because of “fear of failing”.). That is the most important code for you to study; many questions will come out from that code.

Remember, you can’t rely totally to what you’ve learnt from the course. The key is to read and get familiar with codes & recommended practices. I’m not trying to boast…I got only 19mistakes out of 150questions on my first attempt. I got a perfect score when I took the on-line quiz (6yrs renewal). If a boy who grew up at smokey mountain achieved that goal then no reason why the junkiron can’t. (junk irons from smokey mountain are my precious collections:lol:)

~Joey~
Smokey Mountain
Parent - By junkiron (**) Date 03-21-2011 03:56
Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.  I will study my ass off, its coming out of  my pocket, so I wont take it  lightly. Any body else have any advice I can use.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / API 510 Seminar