Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / cwi exam
- - By Fitting4U Date 03-17-2011 01:49
I live in tennessee and have worked as a pipe fitter/welder for 15 years. looking to try to get my cwi , i have some training in penetrant and visual testing but would appreciate any info. on where to go for further education as near to nashville as possible.
Parent - By kkfabricator (**) Date 03-18-2011 00:18
My personal opinion is to attend the seminar, give it a couple of months of studying, and then taking the exam. That is what I did under the advise of others on this site, and I passed on my first try.  There is so much info to try to absorb that many people can't remember it. Get into the code book and learn how to navigate it.

Chuck
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-18-2011 15:22
Fitting4U,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Chuck's advice is very appropriate.  Also, get some of the resource manuals recommended on the AWS website under 'Certifications' for self study.  Get the WIT book and read it over and over.  There is a manual that goes with it with even more practice questions (WIT Workbook), by the time you go through it a couple times you should not have a problem with the Practical Knowledge part of the exam.

Then there are several books available for improving your knowledge and skills with visual inspection and the tools used.

Next, go through the code book you choose to test to and get to know where to find various information. 

Then, I would suggest going to the week long seminar and maybe go ahead and take the exam.  It will be hard to relax and take the exam.  Many have felt it was worth it to take it knowing they may indeed fail just to get used to the time constraint pressure and the format.  Then, go study some more if needed and take it again. 

Go to the website and you can find a schedule for dates and locations of seminars and exams.  There is also a list of education/experience requirements for taking the exam.  Make sure you are qualified.  If not, still good information to learn and start developing the skills and knowledge you need to be qualified later.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Tim Rich (*) Date 03-28-2011 05:41
I have welded my entire life and at the age of 52 decided to get my CWI. I went to Hobart's 2 week seminar, studied 3-4 hours each night and 10 hours on Sat and Sun. Took the test the following friday and passed. The part B ate my lunch but I barely made it. Like the reply's before, you need to get all the information and books and study alot. If you do not have alot of time I would suggest the 2 week siminar as there is a great amount of information to go over. Good Luck!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / cwi exam