Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / CWI class starting in one week
- - By AlexG Date 04-01-2011 03:53
Hello everybody,

First I'd like to thank all the people that take there time to share there knowlege with the public.

I been meaning to post this for a couple of weeks, ( sorry ).

There's a CWI class starting April 9th. in  Manhattan Beach, California. The instuctor is a well qualified SCWI. There's a lot of value in these course. And a great amount of money savings. There's only one more spot left, as the instuctor only takes a small amount of students. All you need is the Code book and he will have the rest of study materials. He has a high exam passing percentage.

The information is as follows:

Weld Inspection Training Module (WITM).

Daniel G. Luna
Welding Consultant
Senior Welding Inspector

dan@weldingdocs.com

I will be sure to post when I pass the test in July!

Your neighbor, Alex G.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 04-01-2011 08:13
High exam passing percentage?  Just how high would that be?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-01-2011 11:13
Alex is speaking of DGXL who is a member here. Judging from speaking with him in the forum in the past, I would say that he has sufficient knowledge of the subject....I wouldn't doubt that he has a decent percentage of his students to pass(if they paid any attention to the materials that he goes over).
Parent - - By AlexG Date 04-01-2011 13:26
You know your right jwright650 sense I don't have the exact passing rate from the AWS, it would be safer to say he has a decent passing rate!

And your also right on the second comment. DGXL IS a straight shooter and he doesn't candy coat it! He does say its going to require a lot of hard work and sacrifice and most important TO FOLLOW HIS DIRECTIONS and for that reason some wont pass. Theirs a fellow going back to his class for the second time as some do, and I don't think they would come back if it wasn't a good class. Obviously they must admit to them self's there effort wasn't enough.

OK I'm off to work.
Have a blessed day guys.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-01-2011 13:55
Tell him John Wright says "Hi"
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 04-01-2011 19:00
There was no slight intended.  I was just wondering how it compared to the Prep Class I took at Hobart Institute.  They claim about a 60% pass.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-01-2011 20:08
He who studies passes. He who plays stays.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-01-2011 20:09
That seems to be about the average I hear from many sources.  But it all depends on the instructor and the students who are in any one particular class.  Some times the whole class is loaded with good studiers with the experience and background to be able to have a high success rate.  Other times you can get a class heavy with under achievers who probably shouldn't even be there as far as the CWI exam goes.

I still think it is an excellent seminar for anyone involved in fabrication work of any kind.  There is so much information that one doesn't get in other places.  All welders should know the material in the WIT book for general knowledge and know how to use the weld gages to check their own work.  Then to be able to use a code book and understand what the inspector is looking for as well as what you should have ready for him when he gets there would really make our job so much easier.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By AlexG Date 04-01-2011 21:24
Your right Brent.
It looks like my insrtructor has had a steady 70% , but at times his seen it drop to 60% due to flaky or lazy students.

On top of being a good instuctor, I notice he doesnt hold back on those little gold nuggets. I've had instuctors in the past showing off  stacks of Certs, but most likely cause off there pride or selfishness dont teach there studnts those things that go a long ways. By the way in every area of life we need those grey hair men and woman to pass on that wisdom to the younger generation. DUH!

Thats why I appreciate and encourge you folks to keep on pouring in to the public forums. And I'm sure I'm not speaking for my self either. I to, till today was one of those behind the seen guys that dont post , but only read.

By the way for any of you interested in DGXL, CWI course. He includes to his students a manuel that was 14yrs in the making. I've been reading it and its great!
In the class intro I got to see many of the tools that we are going to use. The weld samples are real and not plastic, and are made from all types of metals, shapes, and forms. I'm excited about this class!

How ever there is one problemo, I dont have a D1.1 2010 code book. And I need it soon. If you know of any body that has one for sale let me know. Your not going to belive it but, a classmate just bought one from E-bay for $300+ shiping. What a steal!

Before I forget Dan sends his regards to John Wright, he spoke highly of you. By the way did you sit in his class John W.? And if you did, is there any advice you can give me besides listen, and work my tail off?

Back to work, Alex G.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-01-2011 23:15 Edited 04-04-2011 20:48
BTW, seeing you just registered here and 3 of your 5 posts are in this thread,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!  Glad you joined in.  Hope you find lots to help you through the exam.  If you use the 'Search' function you can find lots of already covered material on the exams and classes.

When taking the seminar through the AWS and then the exam you get a Code book (D1.1) included with the seminar fees.  As an AWS member you get a 25% discount on all materials purchased.  There is a bundle pack of D1.1-2010, A2.4 & A3.0, all part of the included materials with the seminar, that members can purchase for $515, non-members for $687, and the individual book pricing is $808 for non-members.  Quite a savings.  When you figure those costs and all the other material into the cost of the AWS Seminar it isn't that expensive.

Now, I'm not trying to get anyone to not use any of these other seminar training groups.  I was just giving out the pricing on the materials since Alex said something about needing D1.1.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-02-2011 00:15
Hi again Alex,
I just remember DGXL taking part in our forum here when I was cutting my teeth as a new CWI many years ago. He and others here helped all of us here dig in that ole D1.1 and make our points of discussion with the code and not let us just voice our opinions. Those were great lessons to learn, and I appreciate those challenges that the seasoned CWIs here would put up. Dig in and study while you have someone willing to let you glean the info they have gathered over the years. I've told my story on here many times, but when I was a new CWI, my mentor that was supposed to help bring me along had health issues and then passed on. My boss threw me right into the fray and I had to sink or swim. I depended on the forum and the knowledge base here to help guide me along until I could hold my own as a QC manager.

Study hard, and dig in with both feet...you'll do fine.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 04-02-2011 06:57
Alex, when I took the test they were still using 2006 and 2008 D1.1.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / CWI class starting in one week