Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Appropriate answer
- - By Nalla (***) Date 06-24-2011 22:11
Dear Experts

Pls give appropriate answer and clarification

Carbon equivalent values are useful to determine:

(a)   Weldability aspects
(b)   Crack sensitivity aspects
(c)   Typical mechanical properties
(d)   All of the above

As for me answer should be (d ).

Thanks
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-25-2011 12:53
I would opt for answer (b).

Carbon equivalency is useful when determining preheat for carbon and high strength low alloy steels.

There are several considerations when determining weldability depending on the definition of weldability. If weldability is whether the weld is crack free, porosity free, etc., then one must consider heat treatment, sulfur and phosphorus content, etc. Carbon equivalency alone isn't the only consideration.

Mechanical properties are dependent on the heat treatment as well as all the influences of alloying constituents. Carbon equivalency alone isn't sufficient to determining the mechanical values of carbon steel or high strength low alloy steels or any other base metal.

So, I consider (b) to be the best answer.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-27-2011 11:41 Edited 06-27-2011 11:44
I agree with Al. Nobody in the real world uses carbon equivelency to determine or evaluate mechanical properties. The biggest reasons being there are numerous CE's and elements have a tendency to have multiple effects which tend to interfere and cancel out with each other. The overall effects cannot be accurately predicted. Still to this day in common alloys we utilize emperical results to determine mechanical properties muchmore accurately than computer models.
This seems the type of question generated by the 'students' often utilized to generate these questions and is vaguely theoretical at best. Just what you would expect from students with little real world experience and elementary book knowledge. These types of questions are valuable in that they stimulate discusssion but are often incorrect or poorly written or conceived of, which I think this one is.
Weldability can somewhat fit, though as Al correctly states there is much more to it than that.
I would not be surprised to find the noted answer as D. But in the real world Al is more correct than the students theoretical opinion.
In the end the question is poorly written as are many of the training questions for CWI study.
We've had these types of threads before. And the discussions follow the same pattern.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 06-25-2011 15:58
I think this question was in Part A of the CWI test.  Since A, B and C all apply to what the question is asking, D would be -most- correct.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 06-25-2011 19:10 Edited 06-25-2011 19:21
(d) :lol:

weldability is directly attributed to C.E. value.
Crack Sensitivity= higher carbon (C.E), more chance of cracking.
C.E. will give general or 'Typical' levels of mechanical properties, i.e. a material with a high C.E. would not be very suitable for bridge building or structural work etc.

Pretty simple stuff,
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-27-2011 01:11
I take issue with the position that the mechanical properties can be determined by the carbon equivalency alone.

Limiting the discussion to carbon and high strength low alloy steels, the mechanical properties are influenced by the sum effects of those elements that promote a response to heat treatment. An annealing operation will decrease hardness, strength, and will increase ductility. A heat treatment that involves a quench operation will decrease ductility while increasing strength and increasing hardness. However the chemistry alone will not provide any indication of the mechanical properties without detailed information about the state of heat treatment. A quench followed by tempering will provide a material with good strength, high hardness, while having good ductility. In each of the situations notes, the mechanical properties will vary considerable for each case. In each of the three cases, the only constant is the carbon equivalency.

As stated by one post, "Pretty simple stuff."

Weldability, if limited to the "ease of welding without cracking"; carbon equivalency only provides a basis of determining how the steel will respond to heat treatment, i.e., the ease with which Martensite might result from the decomposition of Austenite during the cooling cycle. The concern is that should diffusible hydrogen be present, delayed cold cracking may be a problem. The assumption is that a low carbon equivalency and slow cooling will mitigate the formation of Martensite. If the chemistry is controlled, i.e., a base metal with low carbon equivalency is selected, or if the residual stress or applied loads are limited, or if diffusible hydrogen is eliminated by implementing a low hydrogen practice, the chance of delayed cold cracking is greatly reduced. Even with the considerations listed, the state of heat treatment will influence the probability of cracking when the part is welded, i.e., it isn't a good idea to weld steel with a high carbon equivalency that is in a quenched and hardened state.

What is a high carbon equivalency? The statement was made that a material with a high carbon equivalency would not be a good choice for a bridge or a building. I guess that eliminates quenched and tempered high performance steels for those purposes. I guess we better start dismantling a number of structures that have utilized those steels in recent years. A number of high performance steels have carbon equivalencies exceeding 0.5. Even that limited information can be misleading because there are several carbon equivalency formulas, each producing different results. I guess that is one way of saying not all carbon equivalencies formulas are the same.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 06-27-2011 06:07 Edited 06-27-2011 06:15
So Al, with all that being said which would you pick, A, B, C or D?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-27-2011 13:40
Read my earlier post.

My position/answer hasn't changed.

However, in my haste I forgot to include the influence of mechanical work, i.e., rolling temperature, forging, cold working, etc., on the mechanical properties. Those factors are not addressed by the carbon equivalency formulas.

Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-27-2011 11:56 Edited 06-27-2011 12:12
Technically I would disagree. Weldability is NOT directly attributed to CE. Either by use of the A3.0 definition or in metallurgical reality. A rise or fall in CE, whichever one you choose may or may not effect the materials weldability. This is actually part of the reason there are so many CE's.
At best CE indirectly effects weldability and is used as a QC general rule more than an actual measure of weldability. And again, as Al stated the reason is that there are so many other variables involved.
In fact, the general assumption is that higher CE is detrimental to weldability due to, as Al indicated, crack sensistivity, but per AWS A3.0 part of the definition of weldability is "perform satisfactorily in the intended service". What if you are using one of the CE's that include V and V is important to the intended service? Creep for example. Or, even C for that matter? What if the intended service is higher temp wherein C is beneficial?
One might judge that C is detrimental due to crack sensitivity but is in reality beneficial due to high temp service.
The idea of weldability is actually vague at best(and there is no mathematical relationship of CE to mechanical properties mosty due to synergic effects of elements). So to state that something is directly related to a vague conception has a tendency to break down upon greater scrutiny.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-27-2011 15:29
The post turned out to be a good conversation started.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 06-27-2011 20:10
Hi!

As js55 stated, "I would not be surprised to find the noted answer as D. But in the real world Al is more correct than the students theoretical opinion."
Indeed, D seems to be the correct answer!
Hence 'D' would seem to be the correct answer?

'Weldablity' I don't have a copy of AWS A3.0 to hand, but according to the TWI:

"TWI Knowledge Summary
What is 'Weldability'?

by Richard Pargeter
To many people 'weldability' is simply a measure of how easy it is to make a weld in a particular material without cracks. If it is easy to avoid cracking, the material is deemed 'weldable'. For a weld to be truly successful, however, it is also necessary for it to have adequate mechanical properties, and to be able to withstand degradation in service (eg corrosion damage). Thus, weldability is a measure of how easy it is to:

Obtain crack free welds
Achieve adequate mechanical properties
Produce welds resistant to service degradation.
Weldability is not a fixed parameter for a given material, but will depend on joint details, service requirements, and welding processes and facilities available. This variability in weldability is illustrated in the following examples:

Example 1
Which of these two C-Mn steels is most weldable?

Steel 1  Steel 2
C  0.16  0.19
S  0.027  <0.002
P  0.011  0.021
Si  0.20  0.28
Mn  0.61  1.38
Ni  0.03  0.01
Cr  0.02  0.02
Mo  <0.01  <0.005
V  <0.01  <0.01
Cu  0.03  0.005
Nb  <0.005  0.024
Ti  <0.01  0.002
Al  <0.001  0.047
CE IIW  0.27  0.43
Pcm  0.20  0.27
CEN  0.27  0.43
The answer clearly depends on which type of cracking is of most concern:

Low restraint fillet onto thick steel
- Hydrogen crack, steel 1 more weldable

Restrained high dilution MIG nozzle weld
- solidification crack, steel 2 more weldable

Full penetration highly restrained T butt
- lamellar tearing, steel 2 more weldable.
Example 2
Which of these materials is most weldable? (welding a fairly thin walled (~3mm) pipe)

Commercially pure titanium
316 L austenitic stainless steel
22% Cr duplex stainless steel
6% Mo high alloy austenitic stainless steel
The answer will depend on an individual's experience, and available facilities.

The titanium expert knows that it is one of the easiest materials to weld - but he is very familiar with very good back purges, and the use of a trailing shield.

The expert in austenitic stainless steel would see this level of control to be very difficult. He knows to watch out for solidification cracking, and is careful to check the penetration characteristics of each cast, and does not consider that these pose a significant risk.

An expert in duplex stainless steels will tell you that it is much easier to weld than austenitic stainless steel, because there is no real risk of solidification cracking, and less of a variable penetration problem. But now, you generally need a filler.

High alloy austenitic steel is similar to duplex, expect that with a Ni based filler there is a risk of microfissuring.

Example 3
Consider Example 2, but now add that the weld will be operating in an acid, chloride containing environment at about 30°C. Had the concern been purely about freedom from cracking, then duplex and titanium would have been on an equal footing, with the high alloy austenitic being the least weldable because of the risk of solidification cracking. Now, however, the duplex stainless steel becomes more of a problem, as it becomes necessary to work within quite a narrow heat input window. It can be difficult to pass procedure qualification tests involving corrosion tests with duplex stainless steels.

Example 4
Consider examples 2 and 3, but now add a toughness requirement. Now titanium is not so weldable, as near perfect shielding is necessary to avoid toughness degradation.

Example 5
Is AISI 4130 weldable?

The composition range for AISI 4130 is:

C  0.27-0.34
S  <0.040
P  <0.035
Si  0.15-0.35
Mn  0.35-0.60
Cr  0.80-1.15
Mo  0.15-0.25
It is not possible to answer this question without knowing the intended service. The answer would be different for a gear component, to operate in a warm oil bath, and a piece of wellhead equipment to carry sour gas."

C.E. values are not the be all or end all, but should be seen as another tool to be used in conjunction with other tools to assess the weldability, crack sensitivity and broadly evaluate the mech proprieties of a material!!! I don't see a problem with this.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-27-2011 20:29
"An expert in duplex stainless steels will tell you that it is much easier to weld than austenitic stainless steel, because there is no real risk of solidification cracking, and less of a variable penetration problem. But now, you generally need a filler."

Unless you have to pass a G48 or restrictive phase balance specification.
So weldability now finds its basis in customer specification requirements.  Weldability becomes a moving target in that you can weld two samples of a material, duplex for example, the EXACT same way, and in one case it is definitionally and metallurgically weldable and in another it is not, even utilizing the erroneous TWI definition.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-27-2011 20:52 Edited 06-27-2011 21:04
Life can be so complicated.

I can agree that carbon equivalency is but one useful tool in the welding engineer's tool belt. It is not going to provide useful information about the mechanical properties other than to say the steel with a higher carbon equivalency has the potential to have higher hardness, higher tensile strength, lower ductility than a steel with a lower carbon equivalency given the same heat treatment. Until the specific heat treatment is known, what mechanical processing has been used, etc., we are at a loss to say what the mechanical properties could be.

Careful 46.00, it would appear you are coming over to the dark side in by in, word by word. :grin:

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 06-28-2011 00:45 Edited 06-28-2011 00:47
THANK YOU JEFF!!!:yell::grin::lol::wink::cool:

I believe introducing 46.00 to H. K. D. H. Bhadeshia, and his bayesian neural networks algorithm applications will change his mind a bit... So I decided to add some oldie but goodie links to what are more detailed methods of modelling for the Elementary Mechanical Properties of Steel Welds... I have just included 5 or 6 although there are so many more used currently.:eek::wink:

http://www.msm.cam.ac.uk/phase-trans/2005/MMW1.html

http://www.msm.cam.ac.uk/phase-trans/2005/MMW2.html

http://www.msm.cam.ac.uk/phase-trans/2005/MMW3.html

http://www.msm.cam.ac.uk/map/pubs/graz.html

http://www.msm.cam.ac.uk/phase-trans/2001/cole.graz.pdf

http://www.msm.cam.ac.uk/phase-trans/abstracts/fujii.jim.html

There's more so if anyone is curious, here they are:

http://www.msm.cam.ac.uk/phase-trans/pubs/pt.html

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-28-2011 11:50
Hey Henry! Good to hear from you.
We've had these discussions before with Bhadeshia. He will certainly set your head to spinning.
I still, to this day, have a stack of Bhadeshia articles I have yet to get to (there are literally hundreds available on line), including his humungous tome on Bainite.
You read a prolific author like Bhadeshia to learn something and then somewhere in the process realize you know nothing.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-28-2011 11:57
"quote"You read a prolific author like Bhadeshia to learn something and then somewhere in the process realize you know nothing."end quote"

Jeff,
That happens to me on this forum alot. :wink:
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 06-28-2011 12:14
I actually have a book by H.K.D.H. Bhadeshia "Steels: Microstructure and Properties". Quite a good book!:grin:

Not read about his bayesian neural networks yet, but I'm sure this subject could be covered by a 'Markov Blanket':grin::grin::grin:
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 06-28-2011 18:21
I would take it, that welding without a filler wire would fail G48 test? but would possibly pass x-ray?and your point is?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-28-2011 19:15
I thought it was clear. My bad.
CE as a criteria for weldability in and of itself is meaningless (you can have high CE with a very weldable material and low CE with an unweldable material), though it certainly has somewhat greater emphasis in AISC/AWS structural land. It is an exceedingly small tool in the toolbox. This I believe is consistent with Al's point, and muddies the water considerably for Answer D. There IS logic to Answer D, but it is not squeeky clean, and I believe, though I certainly do not need to speak for him, this was Al's main point to arguing for Answer B.
As for the duplex, by AWS and TWI definition the duplex weld of your example would be a weld of low, or nonexistent weldability since by failing G48 it is not suitable for the service intended, even though RT may have been water clear, the welder performed the weld with his eyes closed and one hand on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and the only cracking in the immediate vicinity was the crack of his ass.  :grin:
And perhaps this thread has been interminable for some, though for myself it has certainly clarified some thinking that previously I had not given due consideration.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 06-28-2011 19:42
Hi!

js55, I have the utmost respect for you and others on this site!

I find myself in a quandary, I see where you are coming from, but my education prohibits me from agreeing with you! You state that you understand the reason for answer 'D' being correct, but also deny it?

'Weldablity is not a fixed parameter for a given material, but will depend on joint details, service requirements, and welding processes.'  and also client requirements!

Interesting thread!
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-28-2011 21:10
Ah. Disagreement.
I've disagreed with some of the best minds in this forum. Al, jon, john, Gerald, henry, marty, and many others. And in every single case except one I was right. :grin:
Of course, I ain't sayin which case.
Thing is, an issue with respect doesn't even enter into the thinking.
Its what drives the discussion.
We've had these threads before. These questions, many of em student generated AWS CWI study questions, are poorly written. And thats when the fun begins.
Besides, I didn't say correct. I said I can see the logic. If there wasn't any logic to it at all there would have been no thread. The discussion was based (IMO) upon best answer, not possibly acceptable answer. Or, this answer is decent as long as we consider all of these mitigating and troublesome circumstances, and if we hold our tongue right during the waxing phases of the moon.
Its like the comedien Chris Rock in his routine about the OJ case. "I'm not sayin he should have done it, but I understand." :grin:
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 06-28-2011 00:51
Unbelievable, a 7 word question caused this.  This thing is going to break out into a quantum theory argument soon. :eek::grin:
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-28-2011 11:33 Edited 06-28-2011 11:39
This thread reminds of the epic tinfoil debate of 2002....shiny side in or out when roasting your turkey?

*edited the date after I thought about it for awhile...it was 2002, not 2004....I'm getting old.*
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 06-28-2011 19:55
I say challenge the darn test question just on principle and be done with it!:eek::wink::cool: Let the chips fall where they may.:lol:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-29-2011 23:24
Even when you challenge the question you are expected to select one of the answers provided as being the "best" response.

Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 06-30-2011 02:05
Challenge it anyway.:wink:

That's what I meant Al... Btw, is that a relatively new question in the CWI exam???

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-30-2011 14:16
Hello good friend;

I don't sit on the Test Bank Committee and it has been many years since I sat in for a CWI examination. I have no idea whether that question could be on the examination. I might doctor it up a bit and add it to my NAVSEA 248/278 training courses though. I like the nature of the question, if not the exact wording.

I will say this about challenging an exam question; I believe I've challenged questions on every examination I've taken. Whether it paid off or not is a different matter. I always tell my people to challenge any exam question on my examinations if they take issue with the answers provided or if the question isn't clear. You have to understand the question in order to respond properly and you need to have a good working knowledge of the subject to make a reasonable challenge. I tell my people to reference the page and paragraph when they challenge a question on the open book examination.  It makes a better examination and I give credit if their argument is reasonable.

I have always said ASME stands for "Always, Maybe, Sometimes, or Except." The same can be said about working with NAVSEA documents. One paragraph tells you to do this, but a footnote will tell you to do something else. It drives the novice (and me) crazy. The good folks that develop military welding standards should sit down and study how the AWS D1 standards are put together. I see TACOM has taken the AWS D1 approach to their most recent welding standard. It was a good move on their part. As a general comment I can say that most of the AWS D1 documents are by far the easiest welding standards to use. It is easy to challenge a question when taking a test on a convoluted military welding standard. The more convoluted the standard, the more likely a user will make a mistake in trying to apply it.

No matter how many times you review a question, it is very difficult to make them bullet proof. It is my humble opinion that the Certification Committee Test Bank Committee has done a very good job of vetting their examinations over the years. The one exception was the first SCWI examination I took years ago when the SCWI was in its infancy. The committee addressed my concerns right away and now the test is very reasonable in regards to the quality of the questions and the degree of difficulty. I took my last SCWI a couple of years ago and only found five questions that I could challenge. Yes, you read correctly. I've taken the CWI examinations a few times and I've taken the SCWI examinations a couple of times just to make sure I've stayed on top of things. I guess I enjoy a little pain in my life. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-30-2011 11:40
This is a good discussion. 24 posts on a hair gel couplant question is unbelievable.
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 06-30-2011 11:53
i couldnt believe how far the hair gel thing went
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-30-2011 11:54
Uh Jeff :confused: ...I think you are in the wrong thread :wink: .....LOL :lol:
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 06-30-2011 19:03
Whaaaa? Every lop-eared boy physicist with a collapsing wave function knows the Everett interpretation is the correct view of quantum reality.:grin:
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-01-2011 04:38 Edited 07-01-2011 04:48
You do know of course that there are indeed eleven verified dimensions by these lop eared physicists...:eek::confused::cool:

Re-read my signature... "Ischcabbile':roll::smile::wink::cool:

Well - you had to mention "quantum reality" which is after all - a bit of strrreeeecccctttttthhhhhh of the latter (Hint: "reality").:lol::wink:

Whhooops!!! There I go again... Losing track of the discussion and morphing into one of those dimensions only to wonder when I'll return to some sense of normalcy...
I wonder if that's even a word??? Okay, that's enough out of me.:wink::roll::lol::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-01-2011 12:51
Henry,
Yes. Ever since Woodrow Wilson (or was it Warren Harding? - No it was Wilson) 'normalcy' has been a word. :grin:
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-01-2011 13:39
"Ever since Woodrow Wilson (or was it Warren Harding? - No it was Wilson) 'normalcy' has been a word."

Wow you guys are OLD.....LOL

Wilson, Harding.....:eek:
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 07-01-2011 13:46
Old!!!! :eek:
- - By jbndt (**) Date 07-03-2011 01:04
Wow!!

Great topic!

I’m now scarred for life!
Time to put the cork back in the bottle!!
I can see some of you sitting in front of your computers with nothing on but your Mr. Spock ears!!!

Shouldn’t someone ask Nalla in what context does this apply?

I’m with 99205, the question sounds way too familiar to me too!  (D. Most correct)

BTW,
I posted No. 25 on the hair gel topic .. ;-)

Cheers,
jb
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-03-2011 05:36
We we're waiting for you to do the honors and now that you have, well Nalla???:yell::lol::cool::confused::eek::razz::roll::wink:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Nalla (***) Date 07-23-2011 11:51
Dear Experts
My answer is - D
Thanks for all inputs which turned out to be very interesting.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Appropriate answer