Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ALi cylinder head welding - Help Please
- - By UKmxer (*) Date 01-28-2004 16:13
Hi

I have a cylinder head which dropped a valve and pushed it through the head into the water jacket.
This head has to go for skimming and pressure testing, so I would like to have a go at welding it. It is a scrapper as it stands so I feel I have nothing to loose.

I will remove as much material as I can and weld it up. But I have questions.

Do I have to heat it up.

Will welding withstand the pressure of the compression stroke.

Will 4043 be ok it is a Mercedes head.

Do I have to stress relieve it.

Thanks
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-28-2004 18:17
Hi UKmxer,
Is this a diesel or gas cylinder head?
John Wright
Parent - - By UKmxer (*) Date 01-28-2004 20:24
Sorry, it is a diesel with heater plugs.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-29-2004 10:42
Provided this is repairable by welding, you will need to get this area very clean. Read some of these posts in past discussions and get a feel for the degree of cleanliness you will need to acheive. Being a diesel combustion chamber, my guess is that you will have your work cut out just preparing this area for welding. What welding process are you planning to use to make this repair?

Here is the link to the posts I was talking about...
http://aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?id=2529#8291
You will have to scroll to the top of the page to get to the start of the discussion.
John Wright
Parent - By UKmxer (*) Date 01-29-2004 20:34
I am using acdc tig. I will mill out beyond the damage so hopefully all I will have will be clean material.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ALi cylinder head welding - Help Please